Tadpole - for SQLite

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 months ago

Peter F

Aug 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New England

@Richard D what is the app that u r using for the ruler in the video???

xScope

3. Dave S

Aug 8 San Diego, California USA

@Neil B Something like the object editor in VS (It can be hidden if someone happens to hate it). Opening additional windows to do the same thing is much less convenient.

Doesn't help much, as I don't even know what "VS" (Visual Studio perhaps) is.
    but if you want to be able to ALTER a TABLE, VIEW, INDEX, or TRIGGER, all those features already exist. with one priviso.... ALTER TABLE is currently limited to only what SQLite currently supports. And here is why.

I have not be able to determine what should be done when deleteing or altering the parameters of a field in a table also affects or invalidates a VIEW , TRIGGER or INDEX that references the original field. Since any Alter Table beyond "ADD COLUMN" requires a new table be created, the instant that happens all associated objects become invalid and they too need to be rebuilt. Saving the DDL and re-executing it is not the problem, the problem is when that re-execution fails, and an object that existed before now can no longer exist.

4. VS is Valentina Studio, I believe.

5. Neil B

Aug 8 Pre-Release Testers

@Dave K VS is Valentina Studio, I believe.

Correct

6. Neil B

Aug 8 Pre-Release Testers

@Dave S but if you want to be able to ALTER a TABLE, VIEW, INDEX, or TRIGGER, all those features already exist. with one priviso.... ALTER TABLE is currently limited to only what SQLite currently supports...

It's more about 'convenient' than possible. I tend to use the tool that is most convenient when there are multiple tools that do the same things.

@Dave S I have not be able to determine what should be done when deleteing or altering the parameters of a field in a table also affects or invalidates a VIEW , TRIGGER or INDEX that references the original field.

A lot of behind the scenes work. :) That is what makes db management tools so valuable!

Perhaps warn the user when a change effects a view (if that is even possible). A tool that gives the most power to the user often also gives the user potential to mess things up. For example; the registry editor on widows is a powerful tool, but it's best left alone unless the user knows what he is doing.

7. Dave S

Aug 9 San Diego, California USA

For those interested... the next release of Tadpole is going to be delayed a few days...... but the next release should for the most part be feature complete (unless new features come to light :) )

I am working on making the ALTER TABLE function fully functional. With something that I have found lacking in every other similar program I have ever seen.

• Add New Columns
    • Rename an Existing Column
    • Drop a Column
    • Alter the Field Type
    • Add/Delete or change the Default Value
    • Alter specific Field constraints (Unqiue, Not Null etc)

This will also analyze the table about to be altered, determine if there are any associated objects (Index, View, Trigger) and if there is a probablity that by dropping or renaming a column that object would become invalid. This will at least give the user a heads-up that if they continue, they have other consequences to deal with. Tadpole will do what it can (Indexes can be rebuilt in most cases, triggers can be attempted to be fixed).... Views will have to be manually dealt with. Tadpole has some intelligent parsing routines, but not accurate enough to know the scope within a view :(

So unlike other DB Mangers that do these thing silently, Tadpole will inform you what might happen (there will most likely be an option to "be silent and obedient")

8. Peter F

Aug 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New England

Sounds good Dave. A simple example of the charting functionality would be nice as well. Maybe using Chinook or Sakila database which anyone can get.

9. Dave S

Aug 10 San Diego, California USA

I plan on writing an actual users manual (starting with the graphics module)...
    there are some examples posted above..
    I think the main thing that confuses people is there are no Menu commands related to the graphics.
    You simply write a script in the SQL editor... the key being the first active word (after any comments) must be GRAPH

Not much in those two databases that are really "chartable"....
    but if you'd like to come up with a "scenario".... I'll write an example script to show how Tadpole would do it
    once I get this next release out, I'll put some effort into documenting the commands

10. scott b

Aug 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Dave S I am working on making the ALTER TABLE function fully functional. With something that I have found lacking in every other similar program I have ever seen.

Add New Columns
    Rename an Existing Column
    Drop a Column
    Alter the Field Type
    Add/Delete or change the Default Value
    Alter specific Field constraints (Unqiue, Not Null etc)

SQLiteManager can do all that.

11. Dave S

Edited 3 months ago

Yes, but what SQLiteManager and no other DB Manager that I have seen DOES do, is to warn you about the potential effects an given Alter Table action will have on associated objects. Dropping or renaming a Column can cause a View or Trigger to become invalid without you knowing it, and it is near impossible to rewrite a View or Trigger correctly if multiple other tables are involved with the same column names (it could be done, but not in this class of an app)

And one of the test databases I was recently provided has 205 views, any combination of which could become invalid by changing just one field in one table

12. Peter F

Aug 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New England

@Dave S Not much in those two databases that are really "chartable"....
    but if you'd like to come up with a "scenario".... I'll write an example script to show how Tadpole would do it
    once I get this next release out, I'll put some effort into documenting the commands

I've batted it around a bit and have the basics down. My past issue was I was using one of your earlier samples and I believe the scripting structure changed a bit. Using the latest examples I am able to do some rudimentary charting.

One thing that this testing brought to light is the status area (bottom section) has no clear button. I would either add a clear button or display the messages in reverse order (newest on top).

As I was getting comfortable with the charting my numerous errors were appending to the list and I was forced to continually scroll to the end.

13. Dave S

Hmmm... I thought I had it clear the message area at the start of each Graph Compile..... if not I will add that.

I will be posting a preliminary syntax for graphing in a few hours...... this will start by showing all the command, their syntax, and what graph type they apply to.... afterwards I will add more verbose descriptions and examples

14. Dave S

@Peter F Sounds good Dave. A simple example of the charting functionality would be nice as well. Maybe using Chinook or Sakila database which anyone can get.

Preliminary document for Tadpole Graphics is at

http://www.rdsisemore.com/tadpole/tgraph.html

This is not yet complete, and will be evolving as I have time... but it should be enough to get you started on creating charts and graphs with Tadpole. If you find an error or omission, let me know

15. Dave S

Since this topic is getting longer and longer, and I hope more of you show interest in the evolution of Tadpole..... I have created a specialized forum specifically for this.

http://www.rdsisemore.com/tadpoleforum/index.php

To reduce spam, each request to join must be approved, and hopefully I have set it up correctly so I'm notified.

I will be reposting some of the information from here...

This new forum is not meant to take away from the Xojo forum, it is just meant to give Tadpole its own place for discussion, and not use Xojo resources to do it :D

I hope to see all of you there (and of course here as well)

16. Dave S

Aug 11 San Diego, California USA

My ISP is a PITA..... while attempting to update the forum software I was using, it decided to instead corrupt the entire thing..... So I am hoping that a full over-write of PhpBB will solve this issue... HOWEVER.... I then have to rebuild the forum...... so all of you who had already requested accounts, will have to do so again...... but wait at least 24 hours, to give me time to fix this.... This was NOT todays plan :(

17. Dave S

Aug 14 San Diego, California USA

RELEASE [14Aug17] v1.01.009

The plan had been not to have another release of Tadpole until the ALTER TABLE feature was 100%.... but there have been enough anomolies that needed correcting, that I decided to release at least a version with these fixes.

VERSION 1.01.009

13Aug2017

• fixed CSV Import issue where it missed the last character of a block sometimes.
    • CSV Import defaults to NO MAP on "guess" instead of "Not Defined"
    • CSV Mapping marked NO MAP now appear properly in Listbox

12Aug2017

• updated to allow Edit of SQLITE_SEQUENCE table (at users own risk)
    • fixed crash, when saving PREFERNCES from Intro Screen

07Aug2017

• added database path to ANALYZE DATABASE
    • Drag-n-Drop database file to Desktop/Dock App Icon
    • Drag-n-Drop database file to Intro Window
    • Drag-n-Drop database file to Main Window (closes current connection first)
    • Main Menu now has New/Open/Recent Database files to speed up switching

06Aug2017

• fixed issue if DDL contained DEFAULT followed by "("
    • fixed issue DblClick to attach database
    • actived "close" icon for Windows users, with [ENTER] as default on select windows
    • added a "Show on Disk" function
    • fixed issue where column width reset when sort/filter applied
    • fixed issue where header was incorrectly remembering OrderBy from previous table

All links are now available via the TADPOLE FORUM

www.rdsisemore.com/tadpoleforum

18. Dave S

Aug 16 San Diego, California USA

Alter Table is still in work, but at this point the logic to inform the user what associated objects (views, index, triggers) [if any] that would be affected by the proposed Alter request is working...... But at this point it does not yet perform the full alteration.

A manual download of this version will be required, as it fixes the problems with the inApp download

15Aug2017
    - added ability to control how Field names appear in Headers and Export

14Aug2017

• fixed/enhanced InApp Update routines
    • added ability to clear the MRUF list, or removed selected DB references

All links are now available via the TADPOLE FORUM

www.rdsisemore.com/tadpoleforum

19. Dave S

Aug 19 San Diego, California USA
    Edited 3 months ago

Release [19Aug2017] v1.001.011 Please READ

19Aug2017

• fixed issue where DESC was ignored when defining an INDEX
    • fixed a CVSImport issue for an edge case situation
    • first release of BETA "ALTER TABLE"

18Aug2017
    - fixed severe problem where data was assumed to be NULL if query only inferred datatype

17Aug2017

• fixed logic that flipped CaseSensitive flag
    • changed labels/msgs related to CaseSensitive flag

PLEASE READ
    -----------------------------
    This version of Tadpole has a fully opertational, full function ALTER TABLE feature (finally)
    However there are some constraints..... some imposed by SQLite, some by Tadpole

• Existing Primary Key fields cannot be altered with the exception of their field name
    • No existing (or new fields) can become part of the Primary Key after the table has been created
    • Foreign Keys can be added or deleted with the following exceptions
    • An existing FK that references more than one source column cannot be altered

NOTE : ALTER TABLE requires that a new table be created, data copied, and new associated objects created. There is an inherent risk in doing so, and while all precautions have been taken, it is possible for an unforeseen failure to take place during the process.

If the table being altered has associated objects (Index, Trigger or View) the following actions will be attempted by Tadpole

INDEX - a new index will be created, using the new field name(s) (if any), and removing dropped fields (if any). A warning will be issued if the Alter action results in all indexed fields being dropped.

TRIGGER - if the Trigger contains a "UPDATE OF" clause, only those fields in that clause will be automatically maintained by Tadpole (similar to the actions taken for an Index), all other Trigger syntax will be left AS-IS.

VIEW - no action will be taken to attempt to automatically alter the SQL within a VIEW, these will stay in the database AS-IS, but may no longer be valid depending on the Alter actions requested.

Prior to ANY action taking place on a database table, TADPOLE will attempt to warn you if any actions (rename or drop) might have an adverse affect on any associated object, giving you the ability to opt out.

THIS IS STILL BETA, so proceed with caution, and report any issues :!:

please visit the Tadpole Forum

20. Dave S

Aug 24 San Diego, California USA
    Edited 3 months ago

Release [24Aug2017] v1.001.013

24Aug2017

• added DUMP commands to export either single Table or entire Database, Schema and or Data
    • fixed issue with Tokenizer when mixed quotes were involved.

The dump commands will create a script identical the what SQLite does in command line mode (without resorting to the Shell), the entire database or a single table can be exported .... with either the schema information and/or formatted Insert statements for all the data (this could be large depending on your database)

Links are on the Tadpole forum at www.rdsisemore.com/tadpoleforum

21. Dave S

Sep 4 San Diego, California USA

Release [04Sep2017] v1.001.014

31Aug2017

• added feature to Navigator : Press [TAB] or [->] will insert object name into SQL Editor window
    • fixed issue with Schema Diagram if table name was really long

Links are on the Tadpole forum at www.rdsisemore.com/tadpoleforum

or Sign Up to reply!