Tadpole - for SQLite

Well I figured I better make my approach to an SQLite tool visible since there seems to have been a few others released lately :slight_smile:

So here is my contribution…

Tadpole for SQLite will soon be released for both macOS and Windows, Written in 100% Xojo it offers many features found in tools costing a lot more.

Some of the features to be found in Tadpole

• Syntax Highlighting
  • Ability to create/delete/alter Tables (the Alter Table is the last feature in works for now)
  • Ability to create/delete/alter Indexes
  • Ability to create/delete/alter Triggers
  • Ability to create/delete/alter Views
  • Ability to view/edit tables with Millions of records
  • Import from CSV tables with most common delimiter types
  • Export to CSV tables
  • Export to JSON
  • Export to HTML
  • Export to Microsoft Excel (even under macOS)
  • ability to attach up to 10 databases together
  • ability to run SQL Scripts (mulitiple statements in one query)
  • full ability to load/save SQL Scripts
  • built in SQL “Pretty” formatter
  • Add/Delete/Edit rows
  • user has full control over Fonts, colors
  • and much more

In this Beta version, the ALTER TABLE feature only supports adding new columns. A full featured ALTER TABLE in currently in work and will be in a soon to be released version. This is a time limited evaluation copy (15 days).

Once released, it will offer a one time fee for a LIFETIME license. And future versions are scheduled to have things such as Visual Query Builder, Data Visualization, Foreign Key support, built in reports and perhaps other features…

macOS version : www.rdS.com/tadpole/tadpole4macos.zip this is a signed AppWrapped version
Windows10 : www.rdS.com/tadpole/tadpole4win.zip NOTE : this does NOT include an installer (yet)

Dave - Looks powerful. I did have the following issue…

First run I opened the Chinook database. I quit, relaunched and double clicked Chinook in the recent database list and got a NOE.

Lovely… I wonder what the issue could be… because when I tried it opened it with no problem at all :frowning:

have you added/deleted/modified anything in this copy of Chinook vs the version deployed in the Examples folder?

Don’t you hate when you test the cr*p out of something, and someone breaks it in two seconds? (sigh) … :slight_smile:

The next release has a proper handler for “unhandled exceptions”…

Grin… that happens to me for ALL new versions of my app. Don’t you have handler for this? All methods in my apps have

exception exc theException = new ErrorException(exc, currentMethodName)

in it. This cleans the stack, writes everything to a log file, shows the user a nice window and offers to send all files to me.

[quote=336085:@Beatrix Willius]Grin… that happens to me for ALL new versions of my app. Don’t you have handler for this? All methods in my apps have

exception exc theException = new ErrorException(exc, currentMethodName)

in it. This cleans the stack, writes everything to a log file, shows the user a nice window and offers to send all files to me.[/quote]
It does now :slight_smile:

Very impressive list of features Dave. It is obvious that a lot of hard work went into building Tadpole.

I love the visual look of the tool… it’s very user friendly.

i try on ACMS Data file and it work fine… BUT on my ARTSCENE data file i got the following error.

I may very well have modified it although there is nothing obvious. I did download a fresh copy and do not have the problem.

One other issue is a couple of times when I quit the app confirmed my wanting to disconnect and they quit but I got the system message about The application quit unexpectedly - do you want to send data… May or may not be related.

Let me know if you want the copy that caused the NOE.

Something weird going on. I’ve got 6 databases that it can not open - yet all my other tools open them with no problem. One is another standard database “Sakila” and the other 5 are client projects.

Let me know if I can help.

Encrypted databases???

Not Sakila: https://github.com/jOOQ/jOOQ/tree/master/jOOQ-examples/Sakila

No. I have sent you copies of my Chinook and Sakila.

Good news :slight_smile:
I do not have these issues under Windows 10.

Well I think I found the “cause”…
I cannot get Chinook to not open… I have opened, closed, open again… shut Tadpole down, and it opens each time.

But Sakalia will open in my dev copy, but NOT in the AppWrapped version???
If I compile and don’t wrap it … seems to be no problem (And the Win10 version obviously isn’t “wrapped”)

Anyone know if AppWrapper might have some switch that causes something like this?

Are you sandboxing your code signed version?

Isn’t that what AppWrapper is all about?
Why would that be an issue? It can open other databases sitting right next to this one that it cannot connect to

Plus. to qualify for the AppStore it has to be sandboxed

Great :frowning:
It seems the “sandbox” is causing the issue… If I AppWrap without that option it works just fine…
Any ideas???

no, just a suspicion… .shm and/or .wal - files could be involved :slight_smile:
opening a sqlite file may want/need to write these files - which the user hasn’t allowed in the sandboxed version.

I’m looking at your entitlements in AppWrapper. You don’t need access to the Downloads folder with a SQLite app, you’ll likely get rejected for that.

Jürg is probably right on the nose. To get the desired behavior, you’ll have to find out how to tell SQLite to use a different temporary location to sandbox your app properly.

I’m not sure what’s up with your app icon, but the original stock image isn’t as pixelated or rough.