APFS default in macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Well, APFS is the default for the upcoming macOS 10.13
My experience wasn’t good for my two biggest apps made with Xojo crashes when using an APFS formatted SSD.

Just asking, did Xojo Inc in the meantime worked on this?

BTW I will install the first Dev beta tomorrow and see what happens.

as long as internally you use CFURL/NSURL, things should be fine.
But maybe FSRef won’t work anymore as nice.

The app that previously crashed only used the default FolderItem. I never looked into this further because I assume Xojo Inc would dig into this.

Sadly things like FindAnyFile or iFileX will not work anymore.

Just updated and changed FS to APFS.

Xojo and 2 Projects which use FolderItem Objects, just run fine.

To be honest, Xojo needs a bit longer to save Projects and Building 64Bit Apps sometimes fails because the Folder is “write protected”, but beside this it’s working fine.

Make sure you install High Sierra on either a second machine, a separate partition or external HDD. Changing the filing system is significant and probably not backwards compatible so you may NOT be able to revert to Sierra or El Cap…

I urge everyone who can to set-up a test scenario and begin testing their apps; We got 4 months to get our apps ready. If you find bugs; report them to Xojo and Apple.

I repeat DO NOT INSTALL ON YOUR WORKING MACHINE.

One thing that I think is worth noting here is that APFS on iOS has case-sensitive filenames and so it may be the same on High Sierra. This caught me out recently because in Xojo, FolderItem.Exists returns false on iOS with APFS if the filename is just different by case (which is the documented behaviour) although it doesn’t do this in the iOS Simulator, because that’s not running on APFS. So if filenames are case-sensitive in High Sierra then this might be something to watch out for.

I always loved to use Case Sensitive (in item names), but this needs the boot disk to be the same.

This is especially good for Web “developments”.

I had to stop using Case Sensitive because of that (copying data from a hard disk to another one may lead to item conflicts in html (or others) files downloaded / saved from the internet).

So, yes, warning. And follow Sam excellent advice.

I’d hope the default on macOS will be case-INsensitive, but both are options. See:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

That one will also be a lot of fun:

Installed the beta on a case sensitive boot SSD:

• Two of my apps and a new one I started developing some weeks ago crashes at random. Need to check why.
  • compiling to 64bit sometimes stops. Recompiling sometimes works. This is also random.
  • Apps compiled with Xojo that do seem to work (Appwrapper for example) is very slow in launching. Noteworthy: the SSD is the main SSD on my system - so not on an external SSD which could explain the slower launching. Also, launching other apps like Pixelmator, Airmail, iTunes, … all launches a lot faster.
    My guess is that launching the Xojo framework is slower.
  • Photos is much faster when using filters (better/faster CIFilter handling?)

That’s it for now. Will also install a non-sensitive boot SSD. Maybe that does not introduce the issues I have.

A reminder that life is case-insensitive. If you really need a case-sensitive environment for development and don’t want to use a second drive, use a case-sensitive disk image.

True, but I would advise that development machines should be case sensitive to increase the odds you’ll find issues. Since some customers will have case sensitive machines, it’s better to develop in the less forgiving environment.

HFS has a case sensitive variant too, it’s been an option in disk utility forever though I’ve never used it. I did find that I had somehow used it for an external drive by accident once and puzzled over strange behavior for a month before I noticed :wink:

Looks like I’ll be booting from an external for some testing in the near future.

[quote=334446:@James Sentman]HFS has a case sensitive variant too, it’s been an option in disk utility forever though I’ve never used it. I did find that I had somehow used it for an external drive by accident once and puzzled over strange behavior for a month before I noticed :wink:

Looks like I’ll be booting from an external for some testing in the near future.[/quote]
Correct that HFS has case sensitive. I haven’t used it myself even though I think I should.

[quote=334429:@Christoph De Vocht]Installed the beta on a case sensitive boot SSD:

• Two of my apps and a new one I started developing some weeks ago crashes at random. Need to check why.
  • compiling to 64bit sometimes stops. Recompiling sometimes works. This is also random.
  • Apps compiled with Xojo that do seem to work (Appwrapper for example) is very slow in launching. Noteworthy: the SSD is the main SSD on my system - so not on an external SSD which could explain the slower launching. Also, launching other apps like Pixelmator, Airmail, iTunes, … all launches a lot faster.[/quote]

Please file bug reports for anything you see and mention 10.13 or High Sierra in the title.

Some more info:

• On a APFS (Case_sensitive) format SSD there are several issue which I will make bug reports. Even simple using the Getfolderitem does introduce crashes. I yet have to dig into this to collect more info. I already have several crash report pointing to the Xojo Framework crashing.
  • On a APFS (non case sensitive) I did not find any issues and everything is working as expected.

In general the beta is impressive. The GUI is way faster compared to Sierra. An app I made that uses CIFilters is at least double speed. Sam, you are going to love the difference between Sierra and High Sierra for sure. :slight_smile:

I hope so, it’s been too long!

The BEST thing I heard them say in the keynote was “High Sierra is going to polish and refine” which to me says “BUG FIX RELEASE !!!”

Running Xojo 2017r1 on High Sierra non-cs: at first glance Xojo is stable. My app works fine, too.

Minor issues:

• Quitting the debugged app takes VERY long.
  • The debug.app isn’t deleted. In former times this happened now and then, now it’s always. I have an IDE script to delete the debug.app, which now fails. Need to do more investigation on this one.
  • SaveAsDialog.SuggestedFilename doesn’t work. Shows only the german version of “without title”.
  • Animation of the progress wheel is choppy.