Measurements - Reusing prepared statements with PG

I did some test with reusing prepared statements compared with creating a new one each time.

1. I used a local PostgreSQL database, launching this statement 250x ($1 gets value 1 … 250)
    “SELECT * FROM tbl_rel WHERE id = $1”

2. I did two messurements - “not cashed” = creating a new Ps each time “cashed” = reusing the Ps after creating the first time

3. I used the same PostgreSQL database but remote over the internet, launching this statement 250x ($1 gets value 1 … 250)
    “SELECT * FROM tbl_rel WHERE id = $1”

4. I did two messurements - “not cashed” = creating a new Ps each time “cashed” = reusing the Ps after creating the first time

This is what I got:

for the record CACHED not CASHED :slight_smile:

great you did these statistics!

With just simple a primary key lookup, time spend on reparsing and replanning on the server side for the not cached PS should not be to significant. So the difference here is mainly the communication overhead - this explains the vast difference between local and remote. However with complex statements, reusing the same PS may also have a significant influence on the server’s time to process the query. (But this may lead to an anomaly after 5 runs, see PostgreSQL: Documentation: 14: PREPARE )

For topics around PostgreSQLPreparedStatement please see also <https://xojo.com/issue/37805> Esp. important to know is that the server side statements don’t get deallocated once the Xojo PS runs out of scope.

So, yes - generally you should build a system to maintain a pool of already prepared statements and reuse them if you can.

The example Joost chose (“SELECT * FROM tbl_rel WHERE id = $1” ) is a bit unfortunate, as the planner (which is usually insanely fast already) has practically nothing to do. Unless you have really complex statements, caching the statements is hardly worth the trouble (the planner usually takes less than 1% of the entire processing time with simple statements). I wouldn’t use a prepared statement at all for a query like “SELECT * FROM tbl_rel WHERE id = $1” (unless $1 is somehow a user entered string). Remember, the main problem prepared statements solve are protection against SQL-Injection and quoting strings.

…and this usecase usually would be dealt with by PQexecParams and not by PQprepare / PQexecPrepared. Thus my Feature Request.

I took a very simple statement for testing since I know the benefit of reusing prepared statements with remote databases is mostly the communication. You see in the graph, it saves me 30% of the time and probably if you have lot’s of connections it might save you some server processing power.
Also using a local database it saves you 30% of the time, although that does not make the difference since it’s already ultra fast.

Good reason to chose for using prepared statements rather than pure SQL queries.
I have encapsulated the whole thing, so for me using prepared statements is even simpler than using queries.