Kaju self-updater talk (v.2.x)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 months ago

Kem T

May 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

Just for testing, try changing the Major Version to 1 instead of 0 and see if that makes a difference. I mean in both the compiled app and the update info.

3. Thomas R

May 8 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Berlin, Germany

@Kem T Just for testing, try changing the Major Version to 1 instead of 0 and see if that makes a difference. I mean in both the compiled app and the update info.

Perfect - I don't know why, but with a version number beginning with 1 the update is found in the compiled app.
    Thanks!

4. 2 months ago

Steve A

Jun 6 Little Falls, NJ

I'm new to Kaju, but it looks like a great addition to my app.

Unfortunately, I'm running into a problem with the Windows install. My zip file includes the VComponents files for Valentina. The log shows a failure trying to copy the vresourses folder into the install location. The relevant section of the log is below:

"Looking for item C:\Program Files\BC Kaju Tester\vresources" 
    "...found, copying" 
    C:\Program Files\BC Kaju Tester\vresources\* 
    The system cannot find the file specified.
            0 file(s) copied.
    "...FAILED! (Error 1)" 
     "Attempting to restore old application" 

On first glance, it appears to me that the script will not handle subfolders when copying the contents of a folder.

Could this be the case? I created a test app that does not use Valentina and all works fine.

5. Kem T

Jun 6 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

Could there be an invisible character in the folder name or in one of the file names that are gumming up the works? Does that folder have files in it? If you replace the contents of that folder with, say, a text file with an innocuous name, does it work? If you remove that folder but include another with an innocuous name and an innocuous file, does it work?

6. Christoph D

Jun 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

FWW Kagi doesn't work anymore with a 'future' macOS.
    It gives a warning the downloaded .zip file is from an unidentified developer and it does not unzip the file.
    It looks like the only way to upgrade is to use a Notarized .pkg file.

That's a major bummer.

7. Kem T

Jun 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

Ug

8. Steve A

Jun 7 Little Falls, NJ

@Kem T Could there be an invisible character in the folder name or in one of the file names that are gumming up the works? Does that folder have files in it? If you replace the contents of that folder with, say, a text file with an innocuous name, does it work? If you remove that folder but include another with an innocuous name and an innocuous file, does it work?

Here is the directory structure that failed:
    -image-

Here is what I tried:
    • I removed the Valentina files completely and the update worked as expected.

• I created another version with the Valentina files removed and an innocuous folder with the same structure as vresourses - a folder with one subfolder containing a text file. This worked as expected.

• I created yet another version that included the Valentina dlls but not the vresources file, and that worked.

• I created a version that included the vresourses files, but I retyped the folder names manually to insure there were no special characters. This failed.

The good news is that I really don't need to reinstall the Valentina files as I have no expectation they will change unless I renew my license and upgrade to a later version. They will be installed via the initial upload of my software. But it is puzzling that this folder will screw up the works.

9. Kem T

Jun 7 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

Interesting.

Suggestion: include this folder zipped, and have your app examine it on startup. If the installed files are missing, or you've somehow determined that the downloaded files are newer than the installed, you can install/re-install them. The switch Kaju includes when it launches your updated app can help here.

Or you can store the hash of the zip file in your preferences and compare that on launch to see if the file has changed.

10. Steve A

Jun 7 Little Falls, NJ

@Kem T Suggestion: include this folder zipped, and have your app examine it on startup. If the installed files are missing, or you've somehow determined that the downloaded files are newer than the installed, you can install/re-install them. The switch Kaju includes when it launches your updated app can help here.

Or you can store the hash of the zip file in your preferences and compare that on launch to see if the file has changed.

Thanks for this suggestion, but I've been using these Valentina files since 2015 without a change. As a hobbyist, I don't expect to upgrade until I'm forced to as all is working well. So, I'll just leave them out of the install. This is a nice feature of Kaju that it only replaces what you give it so I can get away with this.

As I have time, I may fiddle around with this to try your solution or figure out why it won't work the way I had it just for my own satisfaction. But for now I'm going to go forward with what I have that works.

Thanks for your help and for providing this product.

or Sign Up to reply!