Kaju self-updater talk (v.2.x)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 months ago

I've just tried implementing Kaju into a project and I'm getting problems in Xojo 2019 r3.1.

When saving a configuration from the Kaju admin app, it throws an UnsupportedFormatException from the Kaju FolderItemAlias.Resolve method, at the point that it's constructing a FolderItem using previously stored zSaveInfo.

I haven't modified the admin app at all, so am I doing something wrong or perhaps missed a setup step?

3. Beatrix W

Apr 10 Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

I posted a workaround a while ago. But I don't remember what I did to fix the problem.

4. @Beatrix W I posted a workaround a while ago. But I don't remember what I did to fix the problem.

Ok, as it's not me, I've done some more digging and as far as I can tell this might be related to FolderItem.GetSaveInfo which returned a String being deprecated and replaced by FolderItem.SaveInfo, which now returns a MemoryBlock. Although the official documentation seems confused about this (the docs for FolderItem.FromSaveInfo state it takes a String as its parameter, which I can't believe is correct) and the compiler doesn't seem to care either.

What confuses me is that various people have clearly been using Kaju successfully recently (active conversation thread above) without encountering this issue.

5. Derk J

Apr 10 Testers, Xojo Pro

@Austin G Ok, as it's not me, I've done some more digging and as far as I can tell this might be related to FolderItem.GetSaveInfo which returned a String being deprecated and replaced by FolderItem.SaveInfo, which now returns a MemoryBlock. Although the official documentation seems confused about this (the docs for FolderItem.FromSaveInfo state it takes a String as its parameter, which I can't believe is correct) and the compiler doesn't seem to care either.

What confuses me is that various people have clearly been using Kaju successfully recently (active conversation thread above) without encountering this issue.

String and memoryblock are essetially the same.

Var myString As String = "hello world"
    Var myMB As MemoryBlock = myString

Var output As String = myMB

System.DebugLog(output) // Reads "hello world"
  6. @Derk J String and memoryblock are essetially the same

Hmm, thanks Derk, it's not that then! The app does seem to be borking when constructing a FolderItem using the stored SaveInfo though, and the debugger is showing this content as binary. The old docs for FolderItem.GetSaveInfo clearly state that this is a String representation of the path, so it seems something has changed.

7. Derk J

Apr 10 Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 3 months ago

@Austin G Hmm, thanks Derk, it's not that then! The app does seem to be borking when constructing a FolderItem using the stored SaveInfo though, and the debugger is showing this content as binary. The old docs for FolderItem.GetSaveInfo clearly state that this is a String representation of the path, so it seems something has changed.

The SaveInfo and GetSaveInfo both returned a special string, it's not only a path. It made up of a specific line, not to be changed manually.

You'd only use the result to load back into FolderItem.FromSaveInfo so you know where the file should be (if it's still there...)

The docs are unclear there i think. or i may be wrong with the new api @Paul L ?

8. Beatrix W

Apr 10 Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

I made a super crude workaround: https://forum.xojo.com/58323-kaju-admin-app-crashing

9. @Beatrix W I made a super crude workaround: https://forum.xojo.com/58323-kaju-admin-app-crashing

You rock, thank you Beatrix. I was looking at something vaguely similar but hadn't quite worked out what the purpose of the FolderItemAlias is in the first place. Then I got distracted by another task!

10. @Aurelian N Did you ever get to the bottom of the error your reported in 2018:

The RSA signature of the update packet cannot be verified.

I think I have got everything set up and working, built and deployed onto my hosting, including notarizing the Mac application, but Kaju is throwing the above error every time I launch the app. I have triple checked that the RSA key I set with UpdateChecker.ServerPublicRSAKey is identical to the Public Key from the admin app. Even grabbed the public key from inside the .kaju file just in case the 'Copy' operation somehow munged the key. Still throws the error every time…

11. Kem T

Apr 10 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

I wonder if the file is getting modified somehow between being signed and getting sent to your app. Can you do a diff between the saved file and what your app receives?

12. Erm, cough, mumble. A linefeed might have accidentally crept into the end of the file. Sorry :( Thanks for all the hard work on this btw Kem.

13. Kem T

I thought I trimmed that, but I guess not. I'll look at that at some point.

Glad it's working now.

14. @Kem T I thought I trimmed that, but I guess not. I'll look at that at some point.

You did. I was using vi to edit the file directly on the server. Like an idiot.

15. Kem T

I agree, vi is evil.

ducks and runs...

16. Douglas H

Apr 10 Testers, Xojo Pro

@Kem T I agree, vi is evil.

It's even embedded in the name ...

17. Norman P

Apr 10 Testers, Xojo Pro outside admiring the sunshine,...

vi is just ubiquitous on Unix distros including macOS :P

18. Edited 3 months ago

Well, now I've got past evil stupidity, I've fully implemented Kaju on my project and it's working perfectly on Mac and Windows. However… (there's usually one of those)…

On Linux (testing on Ubuntu at the moment, both 18 and 19 and the Elementary OS derivative) my application crashes hard if the version check results in no newer version available (i.e. KajuUpdateWindow is not shown). If it shows the window, even if I cancel the process, there are no problems.

By crash hard I mean immediate CTD whether running through the remote debugger or not - no exception thrown just bang! If I run from the command line I get Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I've tried putting breakpoints in various places throughout the UpdateChecker class and as far as I can see it gets all the way through the Async fetch, parse and finishes cleanly. At some point after that the crash occurs.

Note that I'm making no other changes to the project: If I set the version to 3.0.0b1 everything works fine (because there's a b2 available on the server) while if I set the version to 3.0.0b2 it crashes.

Analysing the core dump with gdb (just learned this) gives the following:

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    #0  0x00007f5c220bea31 in ?? ()
       from /home/parallels/OpenSceneryX Installer/OpenSceneryX Installer Libs/XojoGUIFramework64.so
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7f5c244dfa80 (LWP 27056))]

Anybody come across anything like this, or have an idea how to track down the root cause?

Edit: As a followup, I tried running it a few times and the core dump analysis actually changes. I can get:

#0  0x000000000237b780 in ?? ()
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7fbd16ebda80 (LWP 28063))]

and also sometimes:

#0  0x00007f5c2b5f0c60 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
    [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7f5c2e070a80 (LWP 28543))]
  19. Kem T

Apr 16 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

This is outside my wheelhouse, sorry.

20. Edited 3 months ago

I would like to raise a ticket in Feedback, but I suspect Xojo support will just ask me to supply a minimal example project that exhibits the problem, which is impossible to do as I have no idea what's causing it. Might just submit the core dump anyway and see what happens.

Edit: Feedback case: Feedback Case #59800

21. 7 weeks ago

Kem T

May 14 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

I'm getting ready to release an update, and I could use some help testing.

Please take a look at this branch:

https://github.com/ktekinay/Kaju/tree/feature/To_URLConnection

The README contains all (well, most) of the changes since the last release. If there are any issues, please let me know.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!