Kaju self-updater talk (v.2.x)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

@Kem T Please try the new code and let me know. If it solves it, I might just deprecate Execute for the next release.

Hello Kem,

So, I just did a pull of the latest git and I have some funny things on the admin part of the app, it seems that the TabPanel becomes transparent and you cannot distinct at all the option on the other tabs , maybe it's just me but is weird, I adapted the code from the old one to the new release and unfortunately I keep on getting the

The RSA signature of the update packet cannot be verified.

even if I check the keys and all , it simply does not work.

So no idea why on the Binaries and 64-Bit Binaries it goes nuts, and the controls are like loosing background and all together so you cannot see them properly .

Compiled here please have a look and let me know, I will try as well to delete all the git and pull a fresh one . I'll keep you updated .

3. SO, just did a fresh clone and same thing, in the Zip I posted earlier you have the snapshots, and I hope that the builded app will show the issues on your side as well, that is first time when I see that on TabPanels acting like this, I have no idea if it's because of XOJO or something in the code.

As a reference I use XOJO 2018R1.1 and MacOS High Sierra 1.013.5, hope it helps .

Thanks .

4. Kem T

9 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It looks like some change to that window that the latest Xojo is not liking as it doesn't happen in the master branch. I'll push a fix out soon.

5. Kem T

Please try now.

It turns out that setting a ContainerControl's Transparent to True is a bad thing. All the controls within it or within a Window can be Transparent, but not the CC itself.

6. Kem T

Naturally what I said was exactly the opposite of what I did, so let me try again...

Under the new guidelines, it's recommended to turn off Transparent on all the controls, so I did, including the ContainerControl, but that caused the problem you saw. Leaving the ContainerControl.Transparent set to True fixed the problem. All the other controls, including ones within the CC, are set to False.

7. Alberto D

9 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Austin, Texas

Kem, I was posting about the ContainerControl Transparent issue, when I re-read and you said the problem was having it to True, so I deleted my post.

I am working on a Windows program, and I read that all transparent settings must be False. So I changed all ContainerControl settings to False and when I run the program on Mac I see the same problem as Aurelian reported. My program on Windows run ok, but on Mac I see information from several containers at the same time.

Do you think this is a bug? For me it should work the same on Windows and on Mac, and not having programming experience, for me it doesn't make sense that setting ContainerControl Transparent to False actually make the container behave like they have to draw all containers and see others that are behind the current one.

8. Kem T

It seems like a bug to me, so I'm going to create a small demo app and report it if that hasn't been done already.

9. @Kem T Please try now.

It turns out that setting a ContainerControl's Transparent to True is a bad thing. All the controls within it or within a Window can be Transparent, but not the CC itself.

Thanks Kem, that fixed the UI part, Any idea for the second part ?

The RSA signature of the update packet cannot be verified.

. If I use the old code and use the same app on an existing project it works, if I create a new project and add the code and all the parts it does not work, I did checked the private key , identical so no idea what can cause this.

Thanks

10. Kem T

10 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

Er, you meant the public key, right?

I don't know why you'd be seeing that as that part of the code hasn't changed. I'll have to run a test to see.

11. I guess so, unfortunately i cannot do any more tests , what i did discovered, i tried to compile the test apps and discovered that if you have checked the Authorized checkbox i guess on a non protected directory url you will get the same error, while if you disable that checkbox it works , this is on the demo.

Then the funny part and i guess not related or related in a way, after the last update on macos from last night i got some advices to reset the nvram, pram and smc, did that ,restarted the mac, started XOJO again, copied the update engine and pressed run on XOJO to test again and my whole mac feezed, already for one hour i guess is with that beach ball spinning like crazy and unresponsive.

I’t like 1 am here so i’ll go sleep but i will check in the morning , if the mac is still blocked i will have to force shut down the mac and hope that the project will be recovered on restart and no need to work again and do all the coding .

Anyway i’ll do more tests on tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again.

12. By Authorized I meant Authenticated , and it seems that by Enabling that in your example it goes to your server

http://Kaju:password@www.mactechnologies.com/Kaju_Test_Authenticated/

and it gives that, most probably because I changed the public key with mine to test and once I disable that it takes me to my server and it says no updates available. So in a way the Demo code works, when I start to test on my side and copy the whole Kaju Classes to the new project it does not work anymore. I will dig more and let you know if I find something .

Thanks

13. Alberto D

11 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Austin, Texas
    Edited 2 years ago

Hi, I'm testing this but I was always getting "The kaju CLI is not available. Build it first.", even after I build the Admin CLI.

I had to change (from 'Prepare Kaju.xojo_script) this:

dim kaju as string = topLevelPath + "/Kaju\ Admin\ CLI/Builds\ \-\ Kaju\ Admin\ CLI.xojo_project/Mac\ OS\ X\ \(Intel\)/kaju/kaju"

to this:

dim kaju as string = topLevelPath + "/Kaju\ Admin\ CLI/Builds\ \-\ Kaju\ Admin\ CLI.xojo_project/OS\ X\ 64\ bit/kaju/kaju"

I think the original line is for 32 bits.
    I checked the commits on GitHub and it looks like in May 1st there were some changes, I believe one of them is the change from 32 bit to 64 bit.

So far, I was able to:

• upload the test files to a server I manage
    • change the URL to this new site (it uses https and it works)
    • upload the test files to the server (auth directory) and create the .htaccess file needed for basic authentication with .htpasswd file
    • reduce the code from the demo and put the code in a menu About - Check Update

Still a lot to test and learn.

14. Alberto D

13 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Austin, Texas
    Edited 2 years ago

I'm having trouble with some cached files. I made a mistake generating the UpdateInformation.html for an authenticated URL, but from that point on it looks like Kaju always loads this file, even when I remove the file from the server.

I don't know if the problem is the server, my Mac or if there is some code that I need to change to make Kaju load the file again. When I use the browser I can see the new file or get a 404 (if I change the name).

What I'm doing, is setting different names for the UpdateInformation.html file to do my testing.

On another note: if I use a server with no SSL, I can click the button 'From URL' on Kaju Admin and the Hash is updated, but when I use a server with SSL (https) I always get "Could not get the executable from that url: 102"

Edit: my problem with cached files is only with authenticated URLs (https://user:pass@example.com/kajutest_auth/) If I change the regular https URL I get a 404 error.

15. Kem T

14 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, MVP Connecticut

I'm not sure what that's about as Kaju doesn't cache that file. Have you tried tracing through the code to see what url it's actually loading?

16. Alberto D

14 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Austin, Texas

Thank you Kem for looking into it. I was doing more tests and found this:

When using Checker.ExecuteAsync, I have this problem, changing to Checker.Execute() solve the problem.

I have 2 test files on the server, UpdateInfo.html and UpdateInformation.html both with 2 versions, UpdateInfo.html101 (is with a new version 1.0.1 file) and UpdateInfo.html102 (version 1.0.2), just to make sure changing files back will change the information shown.

One button use Checker.Execute() and check UpdateInfo.html the other use Checker.ExecuteAsync and check UpdateInformation.html

I change from 101 to 102 and Checker.Execute() will show 101 or 102 as I change the files. Checker.ExecuteAsync always show the same information.

My URL is in like this: https://user:pass@server.com/kajutest_auth/

17. Alberto D

14 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Austin, Texas
    Edited 2 years ago

Kem, I used your demo to test this.

• have UpdateInformation.html101 and UpdateInformation.html102
    • rename UpdateInformation.html101 to UpdateInformation.html
    • change the 'Asynchronous' check mark to use both options
    • both shown the 1.0.1 information
    • rename UpdateInformation.html102 to UpdateInformation.html
    • without the 'Asynchronous' check I get 1.0.2 information
    • using Asynchronous, still get 1.0.1 information

screengrab:
    -image-

Edit: I changed the URL information to not make public my actual server, username and password

18. Kem T

I have to believe this is server-side. Can you turn off caching in that directory?

19. Kem T

Or can I set "no-cache" in the header of the requests to avoid caching?

20. Tim P

14 Jul 2018 Testers, Xojo Pro Rochester, NY

@Kem T Or can I set "no-cache" in the header of the requests to avoid caching?

I think that's a very good idea for the way this gets used :)

21. Kem T

Will the server honor it though?

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!