Help Running Example Printing App on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit

I just got my Xojo IDE today and was trying the label printing example – working on a MAC. But I did create both Windows and Linux applications as well. The MAC version ran without a hitch.

I got the Windows application working quickly by copying the EXE file along with the supporting DLL’s to my Windows OS.

But I’m having problems running the application (NOT the IDE) on Ubuntu 14.04. I copied the application as well as the two *.so files (shared libs) to my download folder. (XojoGUIFramework32.so and libc++.so)

Then, in file manager, I double clicked on “My Application” which is listed with “Type” = “Program”. But a popup said “There is no application installed for ‘executable’ files”

What am I missing here? Do I need to install 32 bit library support on Ubuntu (which is native 64 bit)? Do I need to somehow register the Shared Libs?

Many thanks in advance…

It also happened to me, I cried so long for that problem, in the end if I did not mistake it was just a problem of permissions …

Massimilliano – My wife and I visited Bergamo last year!!! What a lovely city!!! We also visited Lake Iseo to see Christo’s floating piers!

I’ll check out the permissions on the application – thanks for chiming in!!!

Mille-Grazie!

Harry

I live in Province of Bergamo, in ‘la bassa’ U can see on it

Doesn’t Xojo create a zip file that you can copy over and unzip so you don’t have to monkey with permissions? I thought I remembered reading that before. I don’t do linux yet. (In Xojo that is. I have used linux in the past for other purposes, so I knew immediately that your problem was with the executable bit not set.)

I had written a program to process psychometric tests like MMPI, BIGFIVE, SCL90R etc. And every time on linux, on all the distro I’ve ever had, I’ve always had the same issue for permissions.

[quote=332579:@Harry Whitehouse]I just got my Xojo IDE today and was trying the label printing example – working on a MAC. But I did create both Windows and Linux applications as well. The MAC version ran without a hitch.

I got the Windows application working quickly by copying the EXE file along with the supporting DLL’s to my Windows OS.

But I’m having problems running the application (NOT the IDE) on Ubuntu 14.04. I copied the application as well as the two *.so files (shared libs) to my download folder. (XojoGUIFramework32.so and libc++.so)

Then, in file manager, I double clicked on “My Application” which is listed with “Type” = “Program”. But a popup said “There is no application installed for ‘executable’ files”

What am I missing here? Do I need to install 32 bit library support on Ubuntu (which is native 64 bit)? Do I need to somehow register the Shared Libs?

Many thanks in advance…[/quote]
First of all, make sure you’re copying the Libs folder and not just the .so files. The app expects to find them in the folder.

Next, right-click on the app and make sure it’s set to be executable.

Third, run the app from a terminal. Any errors will appear there (like missing dependencies)

normally from prompt digit :> sh .application

but I think Harry have find solution with permission …

Thanks to everyone who responded!!

I had to set permissions so that the file was an executable.

At the terminal prompt, I found that program looking for libgtk2.0-0.so. The lib directory created by Xojo had two *.so files (see my original post) but not the gtk library.

So I found and installed this so file.

sudo apt install libgtk2.0-0:i386

And lo-and-behold the application fired up!!!

Many thanks!!

ah yeah always check dependencies on linux :stuck_out_tongue:
http://ask.xmodulo.com/check-library-dependency-program-process-linux.html
ldd is your friend

[quote=332579:@Harry Whitehouse]Do I need to install 32 bit library support on Ubuntu (which is native 64 bit)?
So I found and installed this so file.
sudo apt install libgtk2.0-0:i386
And lo-and-behold the application fired up!!![/quote]
Why build a 32Bit Linux app (and install all necessary 32bit Libs) if you can/could build a 64Bit Linux app?
Have a look at: Build Settings -> Linux -> Build-Architecture: set this to “x86 64Bit”