Looking for cloud server recommendations for MySQL

Hello. My apps are desktop and iOS, no web apps. My desktop apps read/write to a MySQL db I have housed on my GoDaddy account for my website. In time, I’d also like to get my iOS apps to communicate with the server, but that’s another story.

Probably 95% of my users are able to connect to my MySQL db, but there are still a small number who cannot connect, even when they’re connected to the internet. I believe there are some who’s security settings block a port needed to read MySQL.

I’m looking for any recommendations for other cloud servers that have MySQL, such as google cloud, and I think Amazon has cloud dbs. Any advice? Are you aware of some users not connecting? Is it easy to manage?

I briefly looked at xojo cloud, and while it’d be nice to keep within the family, I think that has more than I need and seems quite expensive. Just needing a cloud MySQL solution

Not to be troublesome, but you really shouldn’t be accessing a MySQL database directly from the internet. It’s a good way to get your database and/or server hacked. You really should be using some sort of API over https which your apps connect to, and then the API talks to MySQL only through localhost.

As far as Xojo Cloud goes, it is technically a managed service. That is, we provide the server, configuration, security, backups and system updates. All you have to do is deploy your apps.

Thanks for the reply Greg. Is there any guidance for this? Anything in the examples or docs?

In no way do I want things to be open to vulnerability and would like to prevent this if possible. Just not sure about the correct steps to take.

I’ve been doing the direct connecting for several years and haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). Was just looking for a more reliable connection to MySQL since I have some users who haven’t been able to connect, but also don’t want to come to a point where I’d have hoped to be more proactive

I just watched the webinar on AirTable and will play around with this soon. I see there’s also an example project that should help my learning. Does anyone have any comments on AirTable?

If you are familar with Linux and Server Administration and Security then rent a hosted server somewhere and manage it by your own. Otherwise I recommend Xojo Cloud. Watching the same sad story everywhere repeating: Customer says a managed server is too expensive he will host it by his own. Couple of months later he comes back and takes any offer cause his server has been hacked.

[quote=331966:@Ryan Hartz]Thanks for the reply Greg. Is there any guidance for this? Anything in the examples or docs?

In no way do I want things to be open to vulnerability and would like to prevent this if possible. Just not sure about the correct steps to take.

I’ve been doing the direct connecting for several years and haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). Was just looking for a more reliable connection to MySQL since I have some users who haven’t been able to connect, but also don’t want to come to a point where I’d have hoped to be more proactive[/quote]
Or you could use Luna i did not use it yet unfortunately but i guess it`s a good start for you. and having the database isolated and secure you could expand the api a lot as long as you do the proper secure part.

Hope it helps.

Aurelian .

Have a look at Xojo’s Webinars in their Xojo Dev Center :
REST Web Services
Making Database Web Services

the fact that some of your users can’t connect to the database doesn’t means that it could be a problem from your provider side… maybe it is due to the provider they are using in order to access the Internet; and probably are these providers who are putting some filters to ports or maybe a problem with the NAT or double NAT some Internet providers are putting in place this days.

Besides this, I strongly recommend you to use some kind of API to access the database. This is not only for security concerns, but also probably will “fix” the current connection problems with your users. Is not a lot of extra work… just you app needs to “talk” with an intermediate layer.

Javier

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may play around with AirTable and see how this works for my needs. After watching the webinar video last night, it does seem to be pretty easy to use, plus secure, plus maybe even alleviating the few missed connections. I’ll just need to figure out how to add/update/delete from the tables through my apps. I’m sure there’s good documentation on the AT site for this, and I haven’t even taken a look at the Xojo example, which there might even be some useful tips in there.

Cheers all and thanks again!