SQLite - how to detect field type

Using SQLite, I’m not sure if this is normal behaviour. I’m cycling through the fields of a table and for most fields, the file type returned is ‘5’, which I believe is ‘Text’ or ‘VarChar’ field. I say most fields as when the table is created and a field is assigned as ‘REAL’ the file type returned is ‘7’. All ‘INT’ types are returned as ‘5’, again as ‘Text’ or ‘VarChar’ fields.

I’ve been reading Create Table - Sqlite and it seems that types are not strictly adhered to but, it is possible to at least specify types in the ‘Create Table’ sql.

Here is a short sample of an SQl Create Table snippet; the table is in fact created. The snippet is pulled from a larger SQL file whereby many tables are created in one hit.

CREATE TABLE tAccount_Types( Account_Type_ID INT PRIMARY KEY ASC NOT NULL, Account_Type_Name TEXT);

My question is, is there a way to examine a field and return the field type that was set via the initial ‘Create Table’ routine?

For completeness, here’s my code to cycle through the fields of a table “GetFields(pStrTableName as string)”

//Const MAXCOLUMN = 6
Dim rsf As RecordSet
Dim c As Integer            // columns
Dim intColumns As Integer    // Number of columns

'rsf = g.DB.FieldSchema(pStrTableName)
rsf = dbs.FieldSchema(pStrTableNames)

lstFields.DeleteAllRows

intColumns = rsf.FieldCount

// Add the DB columns as the heades for the ListBox
lstFields.ColumnCount = rsf.FieldCount
lstFields.Column(-1).WidthExpression = "100"
For i As Integer = 0 To rsf.FieldCount-1
  lstFields.Heading(i) = rsf.IdxField(i+1).Name
Next

If Not (rsf Is Nil) Then
  rsf.MoveFirst
  While Not rsf.EOF
    lstFields.AddRow ""

For c = 0 To intColumns -1
      If c = 1 Then
        'lstFields.Cell(lstFields.LastIndex,c) = GetFieldType(rsf.IdxField(c+1).Value)
        lstFields.Cell(lstFields.LastIndex,c) = rsf.IdxField(c+1).Value
      Else
        lstFields.Cell(lstFields.LastIndex,c) = rsf.IdxField(c+1).Value
      End If
    Next c
    rsf.MoveNext
  Wend
Else
  lstFields.AddRow "PROBLEM..."
End If 

rsf.Close

Here’s a sample output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzgy1sff4ll28an/2017-04-24_22-22-50.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl4njpt4rlojqdc/2017-04-24_22-15-00.jpg?dl=0

Use

dim rs as recordset = d.SQLSelect("pragma tableinfo(" + tableName + ");")

The recordset will return:

cid Integer name text type text <-- This is the one you need notnull integer dflt_value text pk integer
There will be an entry for each column within the table.

Simon’s trick will work only for sqlite.
you can use xojo fieldschema function, but it will not return all the possible types, but will work for other databases.
https://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Database.FieldSchema

Or use the built in FieldSchema function

Both Simon and I have(are) producing an SQLite manager using Xojo… both our projects have different philosophy, and design, but there are a lot of things that will trip you up due to the way SQLite does (or does not) conform to strict datatypes (particularly when you get to BOOLEAN and DATE/TIME information)

If you want to get the originally used CREATE string, extract it from the sqlite_master Table.

[quote=327505:@Simon Berridge]Use

dim rs as recordset = d.SQLSelect("pragma tableinfo(" + tableName + ");")

…snip…
.[/quote]
Thanks Simon, your solution worked, though an underscore is required, ‘tableinfo’ should be ‘table_info’. More info here, not for you Simon but others that might read this thread.

[quote=327508:@Dave S]
…snip…
Both Simon and I have(are) producing an SQLite manager using Xojo… both our projects have different philosophy, and design, but there are a lot of things that will trip you up due to the way SQLite does (or does not) conform to strict datatypes (particularly when you get to BOOLEAN and DATE/TIME information)[/quote]

I can see that dealing with these two types might be problematic, no doubt in time I may seek assistance.