2017 R1 Font Bug

Xojo 2017 R1 Windows Desktop - Another bug?

When tabbing between text fields on a window, the text(font) on Label objects becomes progressively more pxielated/blurred. Uggghhh!
(using the standard “System” font in Windows 10) - This was not a problem in Xojo 2016r3 or 2016r4.1.
The problems occurs when testing from the IDE or from a built application.

I don’t think 2017r1 was ready to be released yet.

This bug has been reported (can’t locate it at the moment). It manifests when labels are transparent. Making them opaque fixes the issue.

If you need text over a transparent background, use a Canvas.

For myself, I have reverted to 2016R3. Hopefully a point release, or 2017R2 will fix the numerous issues apparently due to the implementation of Direct2D.

Thank you Michel. Sorry for the huge post. I have also reverted back to 2016R3. I always make backups of all my code before using a new version of XOJO. Here is what I’ve found…I install the newest version of XOJO (2017r1). I open a version of my code written in 2016r3 within the new release of Xojo. (say [filename]2016r3.v30) . I then start coding changes in Xojo 2017r1. Everything seems to be working fine, so after several hours work I save my code as [filename]2017r1.v31) in Xojo 2017. When testing I find that the new printer output system has problems in 2017r1. I can’t wait around for Xojo to fix the problem so I go back and try and open my code in 2016r3… ah, I get a bunch of warnings that the code was written in a newer version of xojo and “data lose will occur” if saved in this older version. Now what do I do? Do I abandon the hours of code I wrote in 2017r1? Or do I hope for the best and just reopen it in 2016r3? I have reached the point of not updating XOJO anymore. I went thru this same problem when updating to 2016r4.1 which was horribly unreliable. I’ve just about reached the tipping point with Xojo and returning to Microsoft Visual Studio to start from scratch. I really believe the team at Xojo need to stop worrying about Raspberry Pi, and fix the huge amount of problems in the XOJO code editor (of which it has MANY!) and the base system.

<https://xojo.com/issue/46398>
:slight_smile:

Canvas has probably a bug too in Xojo2017r1.

I use canvas to work as a graphical button, when the mousepointer is not touching the canvas I have a buttonOff picture, when you hover over the canvas it changes the picture into a buttonOn picture.
I use mouseEnter for ButtonOn backdrop and mouseExit for buttonOff backdrop.
In Xojo206r3 this is smoothly, just looks like a nice graphical button. In Xojo2017r1 you see a white flash when it switch from one picture to the other. I opened Case #47620 for this.

I am back on Xojo2016r3.

I have also experienced many similar issues with both 2016 R4.1 and 2017 R1 and am also staying with 2016 R3 until Xojo provides a more cross-platform stable release.

I had the same issue with 2016R3 WIN7. I did notice however that if I put the labels inside a rectangle the problem went away.

Now I only get flashing labels!!! :slight_smile: . . . :’(

[quote=324999:@Rob Valk]Canvas has probably a bug too in Xojo2017r1.

I use canvas to work as a graphical button, when the mousepointer is not touching the canvas I have a buttonOff picture, when you hover over the canvas it changes the picture into a buttonOn picture.
I use mouseEnter for ButtonOn backdrop and mouseExit for buttonOff backdrop.
In Xojo206r3 this is smoothly, just looks like a nice graphical button. In Xojo2017r1 you see a white flash when it switch from one picture to the other. I opened Case #47620 for this.

I am back on Xojo2016r3.[/quote]

what did you use to make off/on button??

Created a button in GIMP and exported it in .png format as buttonOff button. Then turned the button a quarter and let the color be lighter and exported it as buttonOn button. Very simple, but it looks nice when you hover your mouse over the canvas.

just encounter this problem. any solution yet??
running on both windows 2012 or window 10 show the same problem

46398 - Labels are redrawn on tabulator key
Status: Fixed & VerifiedRelease: Xojo 2018r1 Category: Framework » Windows
Labels are no longer redrawn when tabbing through controls.
?

[quote=396383:@Emile Schwarz]46398 - Labels are redrawn on tabulator key
Status: Fixed & VerifiedRelease: Xojo 2018r1 Category: Framework » Windows
Labels are no longer redrawn when tabbing through controls.
[/quote]

Actually that is a lie, “Labels” keep redrawing themseves like crazy, now they just erase background, so they are not blury anymore BUT now the drawing is TOO SLOW

[quote=396363:@Richard Duke]just encounter this problem. any solution yet??
running on both windows 2012 or window 10 show the same problem[/quote]

Workk around, set the transparent property to Off, and dont use 2018