Plugin array to a Xojo array bridging leads to compiler ambiguity?

1. 2 years ago

Alfred V

31 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers

Given

REALarray BassClass_Files(REALobject instance)
    {
        ClassData(BasClass, instance, BasData, data);
        REALLockObject((REALobject)data->files);
        return data->files;
    }

and the method definition

{ (REALproc) BassClass_Files, REALnoImplementation, "Files as FolderItem()", REALconsoleSafe }

In Xojo you can't do

for i as integer = 0 to UBound(Basic1.Files)
      FileList.AddFolder(Basic1.Files(i).Name)
    next

because the compiler says "Too many arguments, got 2, expected 0" for "Basic1.Files(i).Name". You need to do the following:

for i as integer = 0 to UBound(Basic1.Files)
      dim ff() as FolderItem = Basic1.Files
      FileList.AddFolder(ff(i).Name)
    next

Why? How can you make it happen that the compiler is not getting confused? A different method definition, or add a setter like

{ (REALproc) BassClass_Files, REALnoImplementation, "Files as FolderItem()", REALconsoleSafe },
        { (REALproc) BassClass_SetFiles, REALnoImplementation, "Files(assigns f() as FolderItem", REALconsoleSafe },

?
    That does not cut it because Xojo has difficulty to choose which of the two is meant:

FileList.AddFolder(Basic1.Files(i).Name)

"There is more than one item with this name and it's not clear to which this refers". Btw, FileList is a Listbox.

2. Christian S

31 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

We have this problems since we got array support.

I often fix it by putting my own method there taking index and returning one object from array.

3. Alfred V

Nobody filed this as a bug?

4. Christian S

31 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

not as far as I know, please do yourself.

5. Alfred V

Feedback Case #47593

6. Grant S

31 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Sydney, Australia

Been there, done that . Given up trying to use arrays in my custom plugin. I've instead moved on to use Dictionaries instead...they're a little more work but I'm having none of the problems noted here, and they're more versatile, and I can use them as a property, not a method.

Cheers
    Grant

7. Norman P

31 Mar 2017 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

@Alfred V;Hoek Feedback Case #47593

A sample plugin that demonstrates this would let me look at the plugin bridging side of things quickly to see what gets generated

8. Alfred V

1 Apr 2017 Pre-Release Testers

For the sake of completeness, Norman figured that this behavior can be reproduced without a plugin. So it has nothing to do with the introduction of the REALarray in the plugin SDK. See the updated Feedback case for the details.

9. Christian S

1 Apr 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

Would be great if they can fix the compiler to see that there is a property/method not taking the parameter and returns an array which can take the parameter as index.

or Sign Up to reply!