APFS and Xojo FolderItem issues - May be very serious issue !

Last week I got a mail from a customer who reported two of my apps has issues and didn’t work 100%. The odd part was that it did launched but some things didn’t.
I had a lot of conversations, special debug versions, … but I could not find why it failed on his system.
At some point he mentioned he formatted his new MBP with the new APFS file system. The customer and I never though that could be the culprit, nevertheless I wanted to know for sure so prepared my own APFS system with this new file system (takes a tremendous long time to format the SSD).

And … well … my apps indeed didn’t work anymore. I did some tests and found out that the FolderItem does not work anymore. It sometimes returns NIL. Tried a lot of things but it fails every time.
So for ‘fun’ I tried several apps I know are made with Xojo (including Xojo) and they all do not work anymore. Issues are random. Sometimes crashes, sometimes works partly.
On a side note: All apps made with Xcode do work fine.

I am aware APFS is still not Apples preferred file system for now but it will for the next macOS version later this year.

Is Xojo Inc aware of this? If yes, will this be address (surely yes?)? If not, you definitely need to check this out now before it is too ‘late’.

I don’t see any cases in Feedback regarding APFS but that’s one you should certainly file a case for, especially as you can reproduce it 100% of the time. Hopefully Xojo are aware on some level but it doesn’t hurt to get it into Feedback anyway.

Isn’t APFS still in beta? And hasn’t Apple told folks not to use it on boot drives?

It is, it’s even considered “experimental” on macOS but I’d be surprised if it’s not finalised this year, possibly this summer at WWDC. I still think it’s worth letting the engineers know, to get it on their radar.

There are still various API calls that fail in weird ways on APFS that Apple is aware of. That’s part of the reason why it is a “developer preview” in Sierra- not even declared as a Beta yet.

It is not for consumer use (or even developer use on a full time machine) until it ships in a supported version of macOS.

[quote=323015:@Travis Hill]There are still various API calls that fail in weird ways on APFS that Apple is aware of. That’s part of the reason why it is a “developer preview” in Sierra- not even declared as a Beta yet.

It is not for consumer use (or even developer use on a full time machine) until it ships in a supported version of macOS.[/quote]
Fair point. Christoph, you should just tell your customer as much.

It shipped today as part of iOS 10.3

Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Apple File System, CarPlay updates, more

iOS is not for your Mac :stuck_out_tongue:

As hard as they try…

At a very low level there is certainly a “core os” that I can see they want to make common across iOS and macOS - file system, networking and a lot of that kind of low level code

Personally I think there’s more differentiation between the two in terms of UI Kits etc that really maybe doesn’t need to exist
But there are things in an iOS UI wouldn’t work well on the desktop
And the LOOK definitely needs to be less “the same”

iOS isn’t discoverable etc (all those things that cant exist because there’s no menu bars, tool tips etc)
Tog wrote a ncie article about this a while back (how apple is giving design a bad name)
There’s a lot of criticisms that I think are spot on about iOS and I sure hope they dont do that to macOS at the UI level

If I get ONE more email saying ‘but WHY doesnt your software work on it: I bought the iPad PRO?’
Indeed, but its still just a big phone you cant make calls on…

The iPad is not - no matter how much Apple disagrees - a “computer”
Yes you can do all kinds of stuff
But until I can run Xcode or Xojo on it or drop into a shell to tickle sqlite or mysql or postgresql it’s NOT a “computer” as far as I am concerned

Anyone want to be t that they’ll come out with a special version of Xcode that ONLY creates iOS app ONLY using Swift and runs on the iPad ?

Yep, something like that is the next logical step. They’re (almost) half way there.

[quote=323049:@Jeff Tullin]If I get ONE more email saying ‘but WHY doesnt your software work on it: I bought the iPad PRO?’
Indeed, but its still just a big phone you cant make calls on…[/quote]

In comparison, the Surface Pro is a real PC. The iPad Pro is not a real 'puter …

It was my prediction that once this happens, they’d let the Mac die. They chose to make the Mac die before we reached this point!

Yes, but…it’s also sending all your keystrokes back to Microsoft.

Microsoft is now officially ‘that creepy tech company’ which produces ‘that creepy OS.’

If Apple kills macOS…which I don’t think is going to happen, at least not intentionally…I’m jumping to Linux.

Exactly my thoughts Daniel… but Apple is not a salvation army… it’s an Inc. only responsible towards their shareholders. Despite the fact that Apple improved their Privacy with every iteration of OS X, iOS, and iCloud I keep an eye on them. Do not trust anybody in privacy is my strategy. As far as I am in control of my data, I can guarantee for it. All new software, all websites and servers (with linux of course) are hardend by default and design. A month or two ago I’ve kicked Dropbox and moved to my private cloud (Nextcloud) on dedicated server in my office. Last week I’ve kicked Google Analytics from all my Websites and replaced it with piwik - an open source self hosted alternative. And right now I am thinking about kicking iCloud - at least for all my Calendars, Docs and Contacts.

Interesting. I was talking about hardware, and there comes that nagging need to talk about something else. Sorry, but I maintain that the iPad pro is very little more than a toy. As it stands, it cannot be used for much more than cute drawings, and the usual consumption of media for an iOS tablet. If it was a Mac, I would have bought it right away.

I am afraid Apple is missing big time on the convertible computers phenomenon.

About Windows, the new generation already posts every single aspect of their life on the Internet. Do they care about Windows calling home ?

[quote=323050:@Norman Palardy]The iPad is not - no matter how much Apple disagrees - a “computer”
[/quote]
In Vault 7, the CIA referred to iOS as ‘Juke Box’. This is a correct analogy for me.

Please keep this thread on-topic.

I just tried running Xojo itself from an APFS volume and had no issue.