SQLite Handling

There have been a number of discussions on here about handling SQLite and a free database manager.

I have created an SQLite Manager called SQL Control that is free and can be downloaded here:
SQLite Control

This is a zip file. Unzip it and move the app to wherever you want it. I have used the Kaju autoupdated so it will recognise future versions.

Any comments readily taken on board.

Simon.

Interesting GUI… but there are some issues…
In the SQL view… the default window size causes all the command buttons to overlap each other… I’d set the window to be the minimum that still shows everything, and not allow the window to get any smaller than that…

and one other thing. COLOR … gray on white is depressing at best

[quote=322502:@Dave S]Interesting GUI… but there are some issues…
In the SQL view… the default window size causes all the command buttons to overlap each other… I’d set the window to be the minimum that still shows everything, and not allow the window to get any smaller than that…

and one other thing. COLOR … gray on white is depressing at best[/quote]

Dave

I have just issued an update as there was an error in the splitters position setting that hid the tables and views. That is fixed.

I will issue a further update regarding the default window size. You are right, that bit sucks!

Please explain a little more about the colours. Which part of the GUI is offending you?

Simon.

Thanks for the free tool
Look forward to poking at it and maybe making some suggestions

Thank you, Norman.

I have implemented a couple of Dave’s suggestions and the current version is 1.6.5.

gray on white is dull… personally I find it hard to look at… and visual appeal gets people across the threshold.

I too have been contemplating such a tool, just haven’t decided on a GUI design yet… I had been using SQLiteMan but it is outdated in the version of SQLite it supports.

Dave

The grey on white is only in the Information Bar at the bottom of the screen.

Are you referring to the text and buttons? Is your screen showing grey rather than black?

The default is black on white so I am a bit perplexed about your comment. Could it be that the default background on everything is white? Would you rather it be a different colour?

I originally thought you meant the Table List, View List, Index List and Trigger List but these are all white on grey (when selected). That is an iOS lookalike control that I created a long while ago!

the entire screen is gray lines on a white background, with the exception of a few blue/red labels
plus I find the text too small, trying to provide constructive feedback is all.

You might want to also consider adding an “attach” feature to allow multiple databases at the same time

You might want to say somewhere that the app is for Mac.
The file menu is missing.
The file selection dialog allows me to select any file.
It’s not a good idea to load the entire blob into a listbox cell (Eddie’s Electronics, table customers).

Very nice!

For Dave:

These are the screenshots of my version running on my machine:

For Beatrix:

I will change these in the next version.

Thank you for your comments.

[quote=322522:@Simon Berridge]For Dave:

These are the screenshots of my version running on my machine:[/quote]
yes, this is what I see as well… too minimalist for my taste is all…
and like I said text is too small… your eyes are probably better than mine… but perhaps some configuration prefereneces?

FYI… not a fan of iOS visual changes since iOS6 either… just because Jon Ive says we should like it, doesn’t make it so :slight_smile:

To start bringing the interface back toward standards, start with the space on the top of the window.

There are declares to put the file in the window title the correct way if you plan to do Mac only somewhere on the forum.

[quote=322528:@Tim Parnell]To start bringing the interface back toward standards, start with the space on the top of the window.

There are declares to put the file in the window title the correct way if you plan to do Mac only somewhere on the forum.[/quote]
Good points!

Will do.

Putting a title in the window is simple…no declares required

self.title='this is the title" /// where self is the "window"

Sure, but if you use declares and do it the right way on Mac you get the file/FolderItem in the title which is infinitely more helpful to the user. A little bit of effort goes a long way sometimes.

You’ll want the declares on the Mac side because if you hold the Command key down on the title of the Window you’ll get the file path and be able to go directly to the file. It’s what I expect as a Mac user when a window represents a file.

Found the declare: https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/209400
It’s two lines!

was not aware that feature was even there :slight_smile:

Try the latest version - 1.7.1.

Will look at the declares now.