Android app development tool

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Emile S

Jul 9 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@Gavin S Google might abandon in 6 months … Xojo have been here for 20 years

There must be a mid-point between 6 months and 20 years …

3. last week

Amy B

Jul 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Marietta, Georgia, USA.

Welp. Saw your recommendations for b4x ... I'm the proud new owner of an Enterprise license. LOL

Wish me luck, I've got a learning curve to work through -_____-

Signed,
    Desperate to make an Android App

4. Paul B

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)

@Amy B Welp. Saw your recommendations for b4x ... I'm the proud new owner of an Enterprise license. LOL

Wish me luck, I've got a learning curve to work through -_____-

Signed,
    Desperate to make an Android App

There is a very good B4A book on Amazon to ease your learning https://www.amazon.co.uk/B4A-Rapid-Android-Development-using/dp/1512296252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531210064&sr=8-1&keywords=b4a

5. Amy B

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Marietta, Georgia, USA.

Thanks for the top-off! The book looked good so I've ordered it.

I bought the paperback version bc they have no Kindle access for US customers. And it wasn't cheap. Still worth the cost though.

6. Richard D

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers Europe (UK, London)

@Paul B https://www.amazon.co.uk/B4A-Rapid-Android-Development-using/dp/1512296252/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531210064&sr=8-1&keywords=b4a

if you change the .co.uk to .com, you can access the amazon website in US and i am sure you can get the kindle version there

7. Amy B

Hmm. Didn't think about that.

Thanks. I'll try it and see what happens.

8. Amy B

Ehm. For the physical book, strangely, it's cheaper from the UK shipped express

9. Michel B

Jul 10 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited last week

Amazon has a strange policy : kindle versions are almost always more expensive than the paper one.

About the B4A Rapid Android Ap Development book, it is great.

10. Amy B

Correction is necessary here - USA paperback is nearly twice as expensive as a paperback (w/ int'l express skipping incl.) from the UK.

UK has no Kindle version available to me, but USA store has Kindle at half cost of UK paperback.

11. Emile S

Jul 10 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

P&H are generally very expensive (from USA to Europe). Long time ago, it doubled the object price !

12. Amy B

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Marietta, Georgia, USA.

Update: I've bought b4a Rapid Android App Development and it is awesome!!

Thanks for your recommendations / assistance, Michel, Richard, and Paul!

13. Pedro I

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited last week

@Gavin S Totally agree. I'd never build a business around something that Google might abandon in 6 months. Say what you want about Xojo, but they've been here for 20 years now.

Thats really hillarious and out of context. Try to compile some source code from realbasic 1.0. Shure, mobile is changing faster, but is not only android, also iOS, and the desktop just little slower

For Android, yes, B4A is the way to go. Actually I have a Xojo Pro licence, but I use B4i to make iOS Apps, better performance, can share source code On Android and iOS projects and you can purchase BOTH for a great price.

Also now, I'm porting some web apps to B4J, real multithread and better performance (and also free)

@Paul B There is a very good B4A book on Amazon to ease your learning

No need for the book, all you need is on their home page.

14. Edited last week

Is this discussion not breaking the forum rules? B4A is a competing product for Xojo I think.

I am sure this thread is gonna be locked.

I only use Xojo for Windows desktop . I will never use Xojo for Android.

15. Joost R

Jul 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

it is sour that we promote a competitor here while the Xojo team is developing XFA.

16. @Joost R

Completely agreed with your opinion. If someone prefer another tool than Xojo, just use that tool but don't announce the competitors here. It is simply not fair to Xojo.

Somebody considering Android : I think the Xojo - Android release will come soon. As I understand correctly using Xojo will have the advantage of converting your desktop and other apps made with Xojo more easy to Android.

Now this thread should be locked.

17. Sam R

Jul 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

@Joost R it is sour that we promote a competitor here while the Xojo team is developing XFA.

Maybe; but the Xojo version isn't ready and from what I understand, the other tool is probably the closest to Xojo at the moment, which should mean that once the Xojo version is ready, it won't be too difficult to fold your Android application back into Xojo and continue using our preferred development tool of choice.

Now if Xojo for Android were available, I would then absolutely agree with you.

18. Michel B

Jul 12 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

To be fair, B4A has an extremely crude UI, and is very far from being as polished as Xojo in terms of layout and code editor.

19. Mark C

Jul 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Spain 35510

mmmmm, as usual michel, your opinion is your opinion, thankfully its limited, very limited, and may be very unfair, largely because its your opinion.
    currently Xojo has no android, other vendors do, and the one mentioned is extremely good, and it compares very readily with where many people might hope Xojo (i really hope!) hit with their offering.

the only tool i use other than Xojo, for non embedded code, is the previously mentioned product. its very good , the UI is not how you describe it at all.
    it is important to future readers of this thread not to be misguided by you and your unfounded opinions.

20. Dave S

Jul 12 San Diego, California USA

Not to start a war here, as *I* have no opinion about that product.... But Michel is allowed his opinion, and is allowed to state it, just as you are allowed yours and the ability to state it.... but you don't have the right to degrinate Michel, or his opinion. His opinion has equal validity to yours....

So in Michels opinion the IDE for that product is lacking is some respects, in your opinion it is not.
    I thank you both for stating your opinions, even if I don't think one of them was stated in a fair and balanced manner

21. Michel B

Jul 13 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited last week

I guess we have here a classic case of "my car is the best in the world", as can be witnessed through countless bar discussions about the compared virtues of Ford and GM cars.

For the record, I have had a Pro license of B4A for some like 5 years now, and am just as entitled to an informed opinion as any other user.

Side by side, Xojo is light years better in terms of ergonomic and aesthetics. A child would see it. It does not mean the product is bad. Just that it's UI could be improved. Denying it shows a lack of judgement IMHO. Or a bad lack of knowledge in matters of UI.

One of the reasons I enjoy Xojo so much is the quality of it's UI editor. I look forward to see the Android version.

or Sign Up to reply!