Android app development tool

1. last year

Pietro B

16 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Swiss, Chiasso)

I think in this forum surely there's a Xojo developer that also is developing android apps, so I would like to ask to him a tip.
    I'm a Xojo developer from 10 years and now I have to develop android apps too. Working on mac and knowing Xojo, which android develop tool/framework/ide could be interesting to evaluate?

Any tip will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Paul B

16 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, Somerset)
    Edited last year

Sadly, as you are MacOnly (although paralells/virtualbox with Windows would assist), I can only recommend B4X from Anywhere Software as has been mentioned in other threads, its certainly what I use and relatively cheap but Windows only. XOJO Android is on the road map so I don't know what your timescale is :-)

3. Pietro B

@Paul B Sadly, as you are MacOnly (although paralells/virtualbox with Windows would assist)...

Thanks Paul for your tip. Obviously, use Mac is my preferred choiche, but not the unique one. With Xojo, I also use windows and linux when I need, so I'm open to use any platform the develop android apps.

4. Dave S

16 Mar 2017 San Diego, California USA

@PietroBeccegato @Paul B Sadly, as you are MacOnly (although paralells/virtualbox with Windows would assist)..

Trying to figure out what this statement has to do with the OP?

5. Michel B

16 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited last year

B4X is quite usable, once you get pass the dreadfully antiquated IDE.

In terms of language, it is closer to VB6 and lacks the elegance and power of Xojo, but everything is there.

Never used it in a VM, but it should not be too much of an issue.

6. Edited last year

Take a look at Droid Script, it's very simple and powerful. The app also includes a web server and in-browser IDE so you can develop on any device on the same network as your Android device. You can write scripts and run them in the app for free, if you want to create an *.apk you have to purchase a plugin for a small fee.

7. Pietro B

@Michel B B4X is quite usable, once you get pass the dreadfully antiquated IDE.

In terms of language, it is closer to VB6 and lacks the elegance and power of Xojo, but everything is there.

Never used it in a VM, but it should not be too much of an issue.

I'm testing B4X in a VM and it seems a quick solution to take advantage of the Xojo's syntax knowledge and to be immediately productive. Xojo IDE's elegance and power are "another world", but till Xojo will not be ready for android, I will settle for B4X.

8. @PietroBeccegato I think in this forum surely there's a Xojo developer that also is developing android apps, so I would like to ask to him a tip.
    I'm a Xojo developer from 10 years and now I have to develop android apps too. Working on mac and knowing Xojo, which android develop tool/framework/ide could be interesting to evaluate?

Any tip will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Android studio to create native android apps in java.
    Cordova to create web apps on android.

9. Michel B

11 May 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

@john r

Pitiful spam. This guy is trying to sell his services. He did not even try to read the thread, and joined three hours ago, just to post this ridiculous plug. Yuk.

10. Mattias S

11 May 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Sweden, Stockholm)

For the few Android mock-ups I have done I have been using my other language of choice - Sencha Ext JS and compiling to android using Sencha cmd's built in support for cordova. Sencha Ext JS is crazy expensive but since we already develop all our web front-ends in that framework we already had the necessary licenses.

For a short while we even had an app in Google Play built with sencha+cordova but the support was a pain (different form factors and API versions from the stone-age) and we discontinued it a year ago.

11. Mark S

12 May 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers

This thread is a little old but I have used Corona https://coronalabs.com to develop an Android app.

It is free for most levels and based on LUA so the syntax is sort of BASIC like. There really is not much of an IDE and you just use your favorite text editor.

12. Tim H

12 May 2017 Pre-Release Testers Portland, OR USA

+1 for AndroidStudio. If you already know Java, it's a good tool.

13. 11 months ago

Until xojo possibility to write native android code, I'll recommend B4X too

14. 2 weeks ago

Valéry T

Jul 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Aix les bains, France

Flutter is a very good option supporting iOS and Android with a short learning curve.
    Let's hope Xojo is in a rush on this...

15. Jean-Yves P

Jul 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besancon)

I'm really not a fan of online tools, except may be for very sporadic or one-time use.

16. Valéry T

Jul 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Aix les bains, France
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Flutter is not an online tool at all.
    It's a new framework, open-source, offered by Google. It relies on dart language.

17. Emile S

Jul 9 Europe (France, Strasbourg)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

Every now and then, there is a new Hot stuff, and another (or two) disappears… and that hot stuff temperature decrease, market share too, and it disappears when a brand new Hot stuff comes.

It is part of life. :(

@ValéryTarondeau offered

I learned recently from French TV that when something is free, someone pay for it in a way or another (advertising for example, a small fee added to the price [Android ?], etc.).

Edit: It may be in France 2.

18. Alexis C

Jul 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Puerto Rico, USA

+1 for AndroidStudio

19. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!