Difference between browsers

Hi,
I have gotten some screenshots pick of my amp running on a Windows surface with chrome. In my question is many of the label feels they have forced a second line. It’s like the texting must be getting bigger. In a pop menu I know for a fact it’s much bigger.

Is there any way to make sure that what you see when you are developing is what you get on the receiving end?

Also I was going to try running my air in Windows under parallels but I’m not sure of the URL to access the Web server running on my Mac.

Are you applying styles to the elements that are misbehaving? The controls should be rendering at browser / os defaults.

On your Mac go into System Preferences, click Network, on your active connection look for the IP Address, use this value.

[quote]Are you applying styles to the elements that are misbehaving? The controls should be rendering at browser / os defaults.

[/quote]

Yes I am.

That’s why I’m confused.

Going to try the access from Windows running in Parallels.

Here’s an example:

The image in the Back is from the XoJo IDE.

The image in the front is from the actual website.

Same Safari on Mac for both.

Here’s another example:

The one on the left is Chrome on the website.
One on right is Safari on the website:

[quote=320514:@Richard Albrecht]Here’s an example:

The image in the Back is from the XoJo IDE.
[/quote]
Not surprising
The IDE mimics, as best it can, what is expected to be seen in a web browser but because there are many different browsers & they may do something different I would NOT expect a pixel perfect rendition in a browser

This isn’t a bug either

Second Norman, welcome to the internet.

Used to work for a company where one of the sales guys wanted HTML reports that were basically “typeset” (put a pixel here, put a line here, break the page here, etc) and could not figure out why this was so damned hard

That was in 2002/3 when css hadnt got to where it is now and typesetting from html content was an enormous pain in the rear
We eventually just spit the content out to a CSV that Excel could read and let him format it as he wanted :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink: a wanna-be screen-designer creating all his layouts in freehand (vectors) back in 2004 tried to explain me, that the position of an element on a website should be 147,5 px top and 150 px left. I told him in my german politeness: “No” :slight_smile:

Hands up if you remember website layouts using <table>

CSS was already around but 147,5 pixel was the challenge :slight_smile:

So how do you guys handle this problem. Is there any Rule of Thumb?

Lay it out
Test like mad on everything you can
Accept that it will never look exactly the same on any two browsers
Heck even different versions of the “same” browser might have differences

Always keep enough space between your controls. test everything on different browsers and on different platforms aswell.