Determine libwebkitgtk version?

Is there a good (cross-flavor) way to determine the libwebkitgtk version on Linux?
The docs say that HTMLViewer requires libwebkitgtk version 1, but newer versions of Ubuntu don’t ship with v1.

It would be nice to be able to alert the user that they need to install v1 if it’s not found.
I’m not a Linux guy, (and I’d much rather pop a MsgBox that says ‘Go get Mac’) so insight is welcomed.

If I remember correctly there is an alert when libwebkitgtk is missing.

HTMLViewer.IsAvailable tells you if the library was loaded so that you’ll know if HTMLViewer will work.

These two blog posts (and the System Requirements) describe commands to install the right library on various versions of Linux:

For RH-based systems:

yum info libwebkitgtk | grep Version

For Debian-based systems:

dpkg -s libwebkitgtk | grep Version:

You can place those commands in whatever first run or install process that you use (or simply just warn the user).

[quote=317642:@Tim Jones]For Debian-based systems:

dpkg -s libwebkitgtk | grep Version:[/quote]

that does not work in (my) Ubuntu ( not installed, no information)

this works

dpkg --get-selections “libwebkitgtk*”

edit:

if you know the full name it works

[quote]dpkg -s “libwebkitgtk-1.0-0:i386” | grep Version:
Version: 2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1[/quote]

@Axel Schneider - That’s what I get for typing that from memory rather than from testing in a terminal :).

You are correct that you need to know the full version info that you’re looking for with dpkg. For Xojo, that is libwebkitgtk-1.0-0. For your built apps, it will depend on the platform you build for and the platform they are running it on as to whether you need the “:i386” modifier in the package name.

I also got the name wrong for yum-based environments. It is webkitgtk, not libwebkitgtk.

So corrected commands are:

yum info webkitgtk | grep Version

and

dpkg -s libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 | grep Version