TouchScreen and your finger

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 months ago

Dave S

Feb 14 San Diego, California USA

"scuppered"... I've been called a lot of things, but "scuppered" hadn't been one of them :)

3. Beatrix W

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Does "scuppered" mean this? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scuppered

4. Simon B

Feb 14 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@Beatrix W Does "scuppered" mean this? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scuppered

Yes!

5. Jeff T

Feb 14 Midlands of England, Europe

Crikey..
    Pretty sure "Scuppered" is an old nautical term meaning 'washed away through, or stuck in the drains that allow water to flow off the decks'
    But 'in trouble' is a good description of being there.

6. Michel B

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/zombie-finger-and-touchscreens/index.htm

7. Peter F

Feb 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New England

I worked with a guy with the opposite problem. He had to wear special socks/shoes in dry weather to prevent constant static charge. Without the special gear his hair would literally stand on end if he walked on carpet. Needless to say he wasn't often asked to upgrade memory modules.

8. Julian S

Feb 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

That's shocking Peter! ;)

9. My problem is the size of my fingers (large). When I try to type on my wife's smartphone, nearly every key press activates one or more keys adjacent to the "target" key. One reason why I'm keeping my dumb phone - it has real keys with sufficient space around each one to prevent this problem.

10. Michel B

Feb 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Peter R When I try to type on my wife's smartphone, nearly every key press activates one or more keys adjacent to the "target" key.

Try turning it sideways. The keyboard will become much larger.

11. @Michel B Try turning it sideways. The keyboard will become much larger.

Tried that, same problem.

12. Beatrix W

Feb 16 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Ahem: size matters as those mails always say that I get. Try the iPhone in the larger size. Yes, it sits awkwardly in one hand. My fingers aren't really good at texting. I had this problem with the <6 versions, too. Much better with v6.

13. shao s

is not verified Feb 16 Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I have the same issue, hence the reason I prefer to "text" from my MacBook Pro.. Any time I have to text from a touch screen, I am reminded of Homer Simpson.. (no offence to anyone, just how I see myself when using a touch screen)

-image-

14. @Beatrix W Try the iPhone in the larger size.

Well, the keypad problem isn't the only reason I don't have a smartphone. My Nokia clamshell is small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket and provides the only two functions that interest me in a callphone: making and receiving calls. I spend all day in front of a computer and the last thing I want is to carry a computer around with me when I'm not working.

(And I'm sick of having to wash blood off the car every time I mow down some idiot who's too engrossed in WhatsApp to look before crossing the road.)

15. Michel B

Feb 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

If all you need to do is phone, then indeed, you don't need anything else.

16. Beatrix W

Feb 17 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

@Peter Rodwell: making and receiving calls is the last thing you do with a smartphone. You've got to go with the times.

And yes, those smombies are very very strange. They come in all ages. I always wonder what they do the whole day when texting/What's apping. What did they do before when walking???

17. Julian S

Feb 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

I just sold an old iPhone 6 case on eBay. It was going to their 2!! year old.

18. Greg O

Feb 17 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Beatrix W @Peter Rodwell: making and receiving calls is the last thing you do with a smartphone. You've got to go with the times.

And yes, those smombies are very very strange. They come in all ages. I always wonder what they do the whole day when texting/What's apping. What did they do before when walking???

Talk to their imaginary friends?

19. Dave S

Feb 17 San Diego, California USA

@Beatrix W Ahem: size matters as those mails always say that I get. Try the iPhone in the larger size. Yes, it sits awkwardly in one hand. My fingers aren't really good at texting. I had this problem with the <6 versions, too. Much better with v6.

It is not "a matter of size".... I don't have large hands and I use an iPad...... it is a situation where the chemical makeup of my skin is the issue.... but it seems that my legitimate question has been derailed, or misunderstood

20. The Simpson's reference suggests another possibility. Do you have a problem with automatic doors not opening for you either? You haven't, by any chance, sold your soul to the devil (or some kid named Milhouse)?

21. Ulrich B

Feb 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Xojo Deutschland-Evangelist ·...
    Edited 2 months ago by Ulrich B

@Julian S I just sold an old iPhone 6 case on eBay. It was going to their 2!! year old.

We definitely need an !@#$% button here near the like option. (Interesting: That is what O M G is translated to! Didn’t know!)

or Sign Up to reply!