TouchScreen and your finger

1. 3 months ago

Dave S

Feb 14 San Diego, California USA

How many other people here cannot use a touchscreen device (iPhone, iPad, Android)?
    90% of the time when I touch, tap, gesture etc..... it never registers.... UNLESS I use a stylus of some sort.
    My wife can use the exact same device, doing the exact same things and it responds as it should.

I have read somewhere that 10% of the population have this issue....... yet Apple and the others continually go more and more towards a button free device.

Oh and that 10% does not include people with accessibility issues for other reasons...

2. Emile S

Feb 14 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Do you use a gauntlet (glove) ?

Are you able to use a self touch screen cashier (at the local superette) ?

What I saw at my local McDonald’s is… some people (very rare) press the finger on the screen (and stay like a whole second), some other type hard with their finger (the finger does not stay enough time or stay just the minimum time), and so on.

As a computer user (power user, developer), I do not think you can be on these categories.

I do not have troubles with my 2in1 Windows 10 laptop (touch screen), but sometimes I am clumsky and I use the provided stylet. My mouse wheel is nearly broken.

How are-you performing with the TouchPad ?
    (I have troubles with touch = click in both Windows and macOS; fortunately, this can be disabled)

3. Will S

Feb 14 Santa Cruz 

@Dave S 90% of the time when I touch, tap, gesture etc..... it never registers

I haven't had this problem but I remember seeing a picture of you and/or your wife on like a three wheeled hog. I wonder if you work on that a lot, with it's grit and grease and other chemicals and the strong hand cleaners, if that can lower the skins capacitance. Does your elbow and nose work on the screens?

@Emile S What I saw at my local McDonald’s is… some people (very rare) press the finger on the screen

I always use the back of my finger/knuckle on public screens and usually it takes a bit of fiddling to work. However on my phone a knuckle works fine. Maybe public screens tend to be more restrictive in the capacitance range or touch size that'll register.

4. Dave S

@Will S I haven't had this problem but I remember seeing a picture of you and/or your wife on like a three wheeled hog. I wonder if you work on that a lot, with it's grit and grease and other chemicals and the strong hand cleaners, if that can lower the skins capacitance. Does your elbow and nose work on the screens?

LOL... actually they are VW powered..... and No, I do not work on them at all.. I have friends that are much more mechanically inclinded than I am. My hands are on a computer keyboard 99.9% of the time... so no grease/grit etc here, no strong cleaners or other chemicals.... This has been an issue for me in other areas my entire life. I cannot wear a watch unless it is mechanical, an electronic watch "dies" within weeks of my first wearing it (dies as in it never works again). My hand print will rust into any untreated metal if left for a period of time.

As I indicated, supposedly 10% of all people have this "problem", was just wondering if anyone else here did

5. Julian S

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Dave S My hand print will rust into any untreated metal if left for a period of time.

Dave, know much about Skynet? ;)

-image-

My Dad (RIP) had this problem. He was a builder and had very rough and dry hands.

6. Dave S

I know all about "SkyNet"... not sure if you noticed... but that is ME in the above video...
    My hands are not rough nor dry....

7. Julian S

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Dave S I know all about "SkyNet"... not sure if you noticed... but that is ME in the above video...

I was going to doctor the gif and put your gravatar on there but I dont have the app installed atm.

@Dave S My hands are not rough nor dry....

Then you Sir, are scuppered!

-image-

8. Dave S

"scuppered"... I've been called a lot of things, but "scuppered" hadn't been one of them :)

9. Beatrix W

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Does "scuppered" mean this? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scuppered

10. Simon B

Feb 14 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@Beatrix W Does "scuppered" mean this? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scuppered

Yes!

11. Jeff T

Feb 14 Midlands of England, Europe

Crikey..
    Pretty sure "Scuppered" is an old nautical term meaning 'washed away through, or stuck in the drains that allow water to flow off the decks'
    But 'in trouble' is a good description of being there.

12. Michel B

Feb 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/zombie-finger-and-touchscreens/index.htm

13. Peter F

Feb 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New England

I worked with a guy with the opposite problem. He had to wear special socks/shoes in dry weather to prevent constant static charge. Without the special gear his hair would literally stand on end if he walked on carpet. Needless to say he wasn't often asked to upgrade memory modules.

14. Julian S

Feb 15 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

That's shocking Peter! ;)

15. My problem is the size of my fingers (large). When I try to type on my wife's smartphone, nearly every key press activates one or more keys adjacent to the "target" key. One reason why I'm keeping my dumb phone - it has real keys with sufficient space around each one to prevent this problem.

16. Michel B

Feb 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Peter R When I try to type on my wife's smartphone, nearly every key press activates one or more keys adjacent to the "target" key.

Try turning it sideways. The keyboard will become much larger.

17. @Michel B Try turning it sideways. The keyboard will become much larger.

Tried that, same problem.

18. Beatrix W

Feb 16 Pre-Release Testers Europe (Germany)

Ahem: size matters as those mails always say that I get. Try the iPhone in the larger size. Yes, it sits awkwardly in one hand. My fingers aren't really good at texting. I had this problem with the <6 versions, too. Much better with v6.

19. shao s

is not verified Feb 16 Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

I have the same issue, hence the reason I prefer to "text" from my MacBook Pro.. Any time I have to text from a touch screen, I am reminded of Homer Simpson.. (no offence to anyone, just how I see myself when using a touch screen)

-image-

20. @Beatrix W Try the iPhone in the larger size.

Well, the keypad problem isn't the only reason I don't have a smartphone. My Nokia clamshell is small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket and provides the only two functions that interest me in a callphone: making and receiving calls. I spend all day in front of a computer and the last thing I want is to carry a computer around with me when I'm not working.

(And I'm sick of having to wash blood off the car every time I mow down some idiot who's too engrossed in WhatsApp to look before crossing the road.)

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!