Get Class Name Inside Shared Method?

Is it possible to get the name of a class from within a shared method of that class? I know that Introspection.GetType() can be used on instances (objects), but what if I want to access the name of the class from within a class method?

Thanks for any help,

-Steve

well since all you know is “the method was called” and you may / may not actually have an instance you probably cannot use anything in introspection to tell

However you CAN still tell in a hacky way since there is always the magic “CurrentMethodName” that you can rip apart

the second last element should be the class name

Some sort of shorthand would be much appreciated. So I can call “Self.MySharedMethod” without knowing the name of the class. Not sure Self would be the right shorthand, just using it to illustrate the point.

Thanks for the reply, Norman. I was unaware of that constant. Unfortunately, it won’t work for me, since inside a subclass, the CurrentMethodName constant will still reference the parent class from which it inherits. I need the data type of the subclass, but I want to implement the shared method only once inside the base class.

For instance, if I have ClassCat which is subclassed from ClassAnimal, I’d like to implement a shared (class) method called MyClass() in ClassAnimal which returns “ClassCat” when ClassCat.MyClass() is invoked.

Hey, I have an idea… What if the object parameter of the Introspection.GetType() method was optional. If no instance is passed in, then the type of the current class would be returned.

-Steve

[quote=26802:@Steve S]Thanks for the reply, Norman. I was unaware of that constant. Unfortunately, it won’t work for me, since inside a subclass, the CurrentMethodName constant will still reference the parent class from which it inherits. I need the data type of the subclass, but I want to implement the shared method only once inside the base class.

For instance, if I have ClassCat which is subclassed from ClassAnimal, I’d like to implement a shared (class) method called MyClass() in ClassAnimal which returns “ClassCat” when ClassCat.MyClass() is invoked.

Hey, I have an idea… What if the object parameter of the Introspection.GetType() method was optional. If no instance is passed in, then the type of the current class would be returned.

-Steve[/quote]
Curious why you need the name ?
The example illustrates a problem - since you have no instance how are you planning to distinguish which is intended ?
If I actually have to type, in my original code,

ClassCat.MyClass

that’s kind of redundant since I already type “ClassCat” just to find out I meant ClassCat ?

[quote=26811:@Norman Palardy]Curious why you need the name ?
The example illustrates a problem - since you have no instance how are you planning to distinguish which is intended ?
If I actually have to type, in my original code,

ClassCat.MyClass

that’s kind of redundant since I already type “ClassCat” just to find out I meant ClassCat ?[/quote]

Of course you could just need the IsA operator

My example was just a simplification. What if the shared method needed to use the class name (for whatever reason). Let’s say I have a MyClassNameMunger() shared method implemented inside ClassAnimal. If the shared method’s scope is public, I would like a call to ClassCat.MyClassNameMunger() to return the munged form of “ClassCat”.

Sure, I could pass a “ClassCat” string constant to the method, but that seems redundant to me. Why can’t the shared method somehow know something about the class through which it was invoked?

Doesn’t that require an object instance?

-Steve

[quote=26892:@Steve S]My example was just a simplification. What if the shared method needed to use the class name (for whatever reason). Let’s say I have a MyClassNameMunger() shared method implemented inside ClassAnimal. If the shared method’s scope is public, I would like a call to ClassCat.MyClassNameMunger() to return the munged form of “ClassCat”.
[/quote]
Theoretically I suppose the compiler could bake in some info about HOW you called the method to know which access path was used so it could know that you called it through the ClassCat instead of ClassAnimal.
It doesn’t and I have my doubts that such a feature request would actually be implemented.

Class Class1
 Shared Function Untitled(instance as Class1 = nil) As string
  if instance is nil then instance = new Class1

dim ti as Introspection.TypeInfo = Introspection.GetType( instance )

return ti.FullName
End Function

Class CustomClass1
Inherits Class1
 Shared Function Untitled() As String
  return Super.Untitled( new CustomClass1 )
End Function

Window1.Open
  dim s as string

s = Class1.Untitled

s = CustomClass1.Untitled

break

Thanks, Norman. I think I’m just going to keep things simple for now and use a string constant that’s the same as the class name.

-Steve

I ran into this myself today. Boy, it sure would be nice if there was a CurrentClassName constant.

Especially, if your Class names are the same as your database table names. :wink: