Have app able to open a file type, and printing

If I create an app, would it be able to open files of a certain type if someone tapped on such a file in an email?
Im familiar-ish with shared documents through iTunes, but most users struggle with it.

So; is there a way to have an iPad launch my app and tell it to open a file of extension .SOMEEXT

And is it still the case that you cant print from an iOS app?
Or use plugins to create PDF
Or determine the RGB value of a pixel of an opened image such as a photo?

[quote=313869:@Jeff Tullin]And is it still the case that you cant print from an iOS app?
Or use plugins to create PDF[/quote]
I assume you mean from “Xojo for iOS”, because “iOS” can easily do both of those,
And no “plugin” would be required for PDF, since iOS already has everything needed to create a PDF… basically its another “type” of View… you put content in it like any other view, difference is the destination is a PDF (similar principal to how my gPDF class works)

And the same goes for printing… support of AirPrint is as easy as email support is…

But then again in the opinion I have expresses many many times… “Xojo for iOS” has a long long long way to go to be a viable competitor in the iOS market…

I do.
I’ve been looking at it for a couple of days and keep finding myself asking ‘but how would I…’?

And Xojo for iOS?

Im guessing again you’re saying that if I used Swift it would be easier, and in Xojo iOS its either very difficult/declare prone or straight impossible?

The only way to print in Xojo iOS is with dtPlugins. Unfortunately, Jean-Paul has moved to other horizons, so it is no longer available for download.

Even more unfortunate, his account is disabled.

Incidentally, I suggested several times that Xojo acquires his dtPlugins to incorporate that into Xojo, but seems ears are stubborn there. Maybe on both sides, I don’t know.

I have filed a feature request to have printing in Xojo , back in December 2014, two years ago.
37516 - iOS printing to airprint should be supported
<https://xojo.com/issue/37516>

From conversations with Norman, it was obvious he considered that not necessary. After all, he may very well be right, the FR is ranked 910.

You have several solutions : dtPlugins (You can PM me), or more serious tools where printing is supported, like in any decent computer language. XCode, of course, but also B4x.

thanks Michel.
Its clear.

The way I’ve managed to print something from one of my apps was to take a screenshot, go into the camera roll, and use the Sharing Panel to send it to my printer. Worked great, but not the solution you were looking for.

At any rate, it is a shame that Xojo iOS is unable to print.

You’re right.
I need much better control of the output than that.
Theres too much missing.

-How many iOS people
-are actively creating apps in Xojo
-and need printing facilities
-and have added to that request

That’s never going to rise higher than #910. (I cant add my +1 because I dont have a licence for that)
But Im never going to invest unless it happens.
Stalemate. :frowning:

The dtPrinter class from http://www.dethomsoft.com/ enables printing in Xojo iOS.

Although the site is down, I can send a copy by PM.

FYI Rank moved up to 166 :wink:

Now 80. I just hope Xojo will understand at last that more and more users demand printing from iOS.

If there was not enough reasons to drop Xojo iOS, this one is a major necessity for not enduring a total show stopper, and a very good reason to run away.

[quote=313953:@Jeremie Leroy]The dtPrinter class from http://www.dethomsoft.com/ enables printing in Xojo iOS.

Although the site is down, I can send a copy by PM.

FYI Rank moved up to 166 ;)[/quote]

I’ve the same problem. Can you send me a copy of this library?