Web: ComboBox for WebPages?

I’m searching for a good way to use a ComboBox in WebApps.

I don’t find a ComboBox in the Standard Xojo.
So last year I bought GraffitiWeb, there is a similar ComboBox. But the unknown future of this project is to dangerous for a App which have to work for severals years.

Does anyone know a solution with the standard Xojo? What I need ist a Textfield, if you type some letters, I want a popdown with the possible entries fitting to these letters. A typical ComboBox.

You could create a custom control based on a Webcontainer with a WebPopupMenu, with a WebTextField placed on top of it.

Combobox is not a thing on the Web. You would need a third party library like jQuery UI or to build your own control.
Also, overlapping controls will not work on the web.

What is it about the pudding, they say ?

Just try it. It works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17407375/ComboBox.xojo_binary_project

I did not take the time to add all the methods and properties, but as it stands, it looks like a decent ComboBox…

Besides the fact that looks absolutely ridiculous, to get the behavior you’re talking about using overlapping controls would require an excessive amount of round trips to the server.

So sure, it works on Safari; but it’s hideous, would be unusably slow, and it is incredibly unprofessional to overlap input elements on the web. Good luck, assistive devices.

I tried the version in the dropbox, I think the idea is good, but it will look so ugly, I can’t use it that way.

There is nothing directly from Xojo to use? Or in the MBS-Plugins?

The arbitre of elegances has spoken (and offered no idea whatsoever). This thread is complete. Nothing to see. Move along, people.

:frowning:

I had already answered.

[quote=312315:@Marcel Zimmer]I don’t find a ComboBox in the Standard Xojo.
So last year I bought GraffitiWeb, there is a similar ComboBox. But the unknown future of this project is to dangerous for a App which have to work for severals years.[/quote]

Web is far less sensitive than macOS in terms of compatibility with system versions. You should not worry about the future of that control.

I went to Anthony’s site to see what that fuss was about. GraffitiSuiteWebPopupMenu is indeed a clean control that indeed has nothing to do with Xojo WebPopupMenu. I should not even have offered a project if I had known.

If you want Xojo controls only, it is fairly easy to replace the drop down by a simple WebListBox.

I started out using a lot of third-party controls, but I find that best approach is create your own workaround. that way, you have control of the code, there’s no licensing problems to come up later, and you can debug it yourself.

That said, one of the few third party controls I still use are a few of the GraffitiWeb controls and I haven’t had any issues at all with their stuff. I had a few questions on implementation and I got a response back quickly.