Embedded Industrial XOJO?

I have been looking at the RP Compute module for an embedded project. I am curious if there is support for Xojo to do the following to start out:
SNMP Client / Manager functions
Industrial/Scientific sort of GUI functions (meters, graphs, etc)

I have also considered some of the new wave of boards such as the i.MX6UL based modules being pushed out for “Android IOT” (which appear to have
similar capabilities to RP / Beaglebone in more friendly to OEM modules). Has anyone tried to use XOJO on any of those boards?

Thanks.

[quote=308051:@Ron Kumetz]I have been looking at the RP Compute module for an embedded project. I am curious if there is support for Xojo to do the following to start out:
SNMP Client / Manager functions [/quote]

there is no native SNMP client/manager functions but it wouldnt be hard to add that.

there is no native meters/graphs but you can use various charting software/plugins( RhChart/ChartDirecter/etc) to add them.

[quote=308051:@Ron Kumetz]I have also considered some of the new wave of boards such as the i.MX6UL based modules being pushed out for “Android IOT” (which appear to have
similar capabilities to RP / Beaglebone in more friendly to OEM modules). Has anyone tried to use XOJO on any of those boards?

Thanks.[/quote]

I have not. but if the specs of those boards meets or exceeds the requirements then I dont see why it wouldnt work.

The compute module is NOT support by Xojo
It does not use a suitable CPU (ARM CPUs must support the 32-bit ARMv7 architecture.)

bummer

If they ever update the CPU used so its one that runs the ARMv7 instruction set …
The Broadcom chip (the 8235 I think) is a v6 instruction set chip

While you probably won’t want to make any business decisions based on this, they’re quite open about wanting to produce a new Pi Compute module this year and this one would very likely be compatible.

It’s also possible to get a run of custom regular Pis, stripped of whatever components you don’t require. For example, you could get it made sans USB and Ethernet ports to reduce its profile, if size is a concern.

FWIW, Xojo makes excellent apps for the regular Pi and the current model has great specs.

The problem with the Pi and Beaglebone type boards “off the shelf” is not the functionality, it is the form factor. You can’t easily put a
board with connectors on multiple sides into a rack mount enclosure unless you have a bunch of internal cables. The compute module with a relatively inexpensive carrier board is more flexible in that regard.

To be honest, I did not notice that the compute used a different processor. That was a bit silly if the idea was to repackage the Pi in an OEM friendly manner. Anyone who would go that way vs a ground up design is probably lower volume anyway so the few extra dollars
is not a big hurdle.

it might be based off the Pi v1 not Pi v2/v3 boards. v1 was an older CPU (that Xojo doesnt support).

That’s exactly right. The Compute module was actually supposed to be updated for Pi 2 but various things got in the way. However, a Compute module based off of the Pi 3 is, apparently, imminent.

We found this very inexpensive ($23) module (another $36 for development base board) There are a few companies making similar modules because NXP has snuggle up to Google in their Android IOT campaign.

I am still getting up to speed on ARM architecture but the ARM info page seems to indicate that the A7 is based on an enhanced ARM-V7 architecture. If someone can elaborate on this I would appreciated it.

Note that different architectures are NOT necessarily whats relevant for Xojo
Its what instruction set the CPU runs that is important
And architecture numbers are NOT necessarily the instruction set numbers (its all very convoluted & confusingly named)

The Cortex A7 implements the ARMv7-A architecture (where the -A simply stands for Application), which is very common. It’s not enhanced. It’s what is used in the BCM2836 in the Pi 2, although it’s clocked a lot lower on the Argon board.

For comparison, the Pi 3 uses the ARM Cortex A53 which implements the ARMv8 architecture. The ARM numbering system is very complicated, proceed with caution!

Edit: beaten by Norman.

I will have to agree that the product naming convention for ARM devices is about as convoluted as it gets. I suppose that the correct question to have asked is something like “how do I determine if the processor on a particular board is supported by XOJO?”
We are new to the ARM and Linux world. Our current generation of products are all native C code so getting up to speed is
a bit of a challenge. One thing that seems certain is that a development environment like XOJO is less likely to be plagued with
the underlying pitfalls associated with open source tools.

Where possible, I’d minimize pain by going the officially supported route, which is the Raspberry Pi (2 and 3). Depending on your desired timeframe and form factor, I’d be holding out for the next generation of the Compute module. Some people have reported success with devices similar to the Pi - search this forum might give you some ideas, such as the Orange Pi Zero.

[quote=309273:@Ron Kumetz]I will have to agree that the product naming convention for ARM devices is about as convoluted as it gets. I suppose that the correct question to have asked is something like “how do I determine if the processor on a particular board is supported by XOJO?”
[/quote]

[quote=308081:@Norman Palardy]If they ever update the CPU used so its one that runs the ARMv7 instruction set …
[/quote]

Now how do I know that ?
Looked up the chip saw which architecture it was and backtracked from there to the ARM site to see which instruction set it used

And it was indeed imminent! It’s out now. https://forum.xojo.com/37989-raspberry-pi-compute-module-3-out-now

I started getting email blasts from various distributors about the RP Compute 3 module this week. At $30 qty 1 (presumably there are some quantity discounts) that is a lot of computing power and the savings on mfg costs for relatively low volume products makes it
pretty attractive.

The challenge(s) with the compute module are greater than the architecture. You have to create a base board for that to plug into. That in and of itself is not the hard part - what is hard & challenging is managing the signal traces, ground planes,length of traces etc etc etc… very challenging!

I use a Pi3, turned it upside down and plugged the 40 pin into a base board I created. I even supply power to the Pi via the 40 pin connector using an on-board switching 5V regulator. The existing HDMI and USB ports are still used, but now I have all of those I/O’s to use as necessary.

Tim

[quote=308070:@Norman Palardy]The compute module is NOT support by Xojo
It does not use a suitable CPU (ARM CPUs must support the 32-bit ARMv7 architecture.)[/quote]

Compute module V3 should be compatible.

Good to hear. I will have to do more work on this.

A conventional Pi board would not fit my product form factor any wedging one in would look like a kludge to my customers who
are used to application specific hardware. The plug in system on module approach of the compute is much more acceptable.