iOS app Database

I’m just starting with xojo and have many years experience with databases, VBA and other programming languages,
I was thinking that there was some way to have a database that was part of the total app, rather than having to hook up to a database residing on a remote server.
I would like my app to be self sufficient for the most part, having the user build up a database (databases) with the app and only if desired update a global repository,.

Is this possible with xojo?

If not, does anyone know of a product that would do this? Would it have a robust language such as xojo?

You can use a Sqlite Database

http://developer.xojo.com/iossqlitedatabase

Absolutely, using SQLite (iOSSQLiteDatabase). For reference, Xojo ships with several example projects that do this:

• Examples/iOS/Apps/EddiesElectronics
  • Examples/iOS/Database
  • Examples/Controls/Table/TableDataSourceDatabase

To update a global DB/repository you would use web services.

Where is this example projects available?

You can see the Example projects by clicking “Examples” in the Project Chooser.

http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/fundamentals

Thanks Paul,
I assuming the sample is the same as it would be for an iPhone app.
I noticed that the startup has something like db= new SQLLite or similar
That statement seems to automagically create a new database.
So a few questions:
Do I care Where it’s created?
Must I dictate that for an iPhone app?
Does the iPhone “install” need anything extra to handle SQL Lite, or does the app with the library take care of that?
(i.e. the user just installs my app)

Not sure what you mean. There are iOS-specific SQLite examples in the locations noted above.

[quote=308980:@Gerald Novak]I noticed that the startup has something like db= new SQLLite or similar
That statement seems to automagically create a new database.[/quote]
By itself, that creates an “in-memory” SQLite database. You can set the DatabaseFile property to a FolderItem that points to the SQLite file location.

[quote=308980:@Gerald Novak]Do I care Where it’s created?
Must I dictate that for an iPhone app?[/quote]
Yes to both. You’ll probably want the DB in Documents. You’ll have to either create it there or copy it there.

No. The SQLite library is included with your built app.

This video also shows how to connect to databases for desktop, web and iOS apps:

sql lite sync
I haven’t used it but it looks very interesting for bidirectional synching data