Moved to xojo from Real studio. Database plugin no longer works.

I was provided a database plugin for Sybase databases.
SybaseASE Database.rbx
I put this plugin from RealStudio 2012 R2.1 into Xojo’s plugin folder and ran my application in the debugger of Xojo. It immediately complained about the database object.

I closed Xojo and went back to real Studio and and tried to open the project there.
It complained and said that the project was from a newer version or RS and that there might be issues if I saved the project.

I went to my time machine and got back the project file from before the execution of Xojo and opened that again in RS 2012… This time without errors or complaints all worked fine.

So… Where does this leave me? I have an application I rely on heavily and a plugin that no longer works.
I also think I should no longer open up my RS projects in Xojo until I’m sure the port will not fail.
And I think that Xojo should do something about not corrupting the RS 2012 projects… Perhaps it should put the project aside and make a new xojo project and leave the RS project in its original state!

Where is this plugin from? Who created it?

Although projects are typically backwards compatible, that is not something we guarantee. Thus the warning.

It is up to you to maintain appropriate project versioning and backups. If you are not already using version control, I strongly recommend you look into it for this reason and many others.

Indeed version control is a must.
However no amount of version control will fix the plugin issue…
I must find a new sybase database plugin.

You might be able to use ODBC to connect to Sybase.

[quote=25780:@Brian O’Brien]Indeed version control is a must.
However no amount of version control will fix the plugin issue…
I must find a new sybase database plugin.[/quote]
If I recall correctly this was once upon a time available directly from Sybase
But that’s not been the case for many years

You could switch to our MBS SQL Plugin which also works with Sybase.

So that plugin was from me. It’s not going to get updated ever. We have been able to get MBS SQL Plugin to talk to Sybase via FreeTDS on a Mac using Xojo 2017r3. Currently cannot get win32 apps using the same tools to connect. It’s very hard to support Sybase with PHP/Xojo/Python