Linux Installer Question

I thought about this for a while and decided to finally ask the question. Why does Xojo provide an installer for Red Hat based systems (rpm) and not a deb installer for Debian/Ubuntu based systems?

Just thought this was a little odd since on the download page under the Linux (TGZ archive) Xojo recommends the Linux Mint Cinnamon 32-bit distribution. If Xojo is recommending a specific distribution, why not make the installer for it?

I’m not complaining, just curious. By the way, I have version 2016r4.1 running on my system now… Linux Mint 18.1 - 64bit.

@Joseph Cole I have wondered the same thing. Just never thought about asking the question when I had access to the forum.

Hello,

because of a bug in a script to verify the deb.
(don’t know if it has been Tested against the current versions in the new Linux Installs, or if the bug has been fixed. In the Forum post it was said that it was reported as a bug to the script maintainers)

No deb for 2015r4
(See also following Feedback Case: (https://xojo.com/issue/41414)]Feedback Case 41414)

Best Regards,

R. Landscheidt

[quote=304886:@RenLandscheidt]Hello,

because of a bug in a script to verify the deb.
(don’t know if it has been Tested against the current versions in the new Linux Installs)

No deb for 2015r4
(See also following Feedback Case: (https://xojo.com/issue/41414)]Feedback Case 41414)

Best Regards,

R. Landscheidt[/quote]

Thanks! that is good info to know.

Well, I looked in the archive download section and noticed there are no debs available for versions prior to 2015r4. In fact, there are no debs on the page. The bug must have been around longer than the version mentioned.

No.

The DEBs have been removed (delisted) a short while ago.

Archive Releases DEB Installer
(4 entry down from top)

Following on from that linked thread, it turned out the solution was simple. I too was looking for a .deb package I could run through an installer / package manager, but actually its not really needed.

All I did in the end was to unpack the downloaded .tar.gz file into a local user folder. I simply used my ‘Downloads’ folder. The result after unpacking was a folder called Xojo2016r1.1. I then copied this entire folder to my ‘/usr/local’ folder and ran it from there. The Xojo executable is within the unpacked folder, and it was easy enough to add that to the applications menu in mint linux. Then just remember to change the permissions on that library file, otherwise it won’t run.

Once that is done, you are good to go.

I personally would like to see a .deb install package if Im honest, but, Xojo runs perfectly from its own self contained folder without the need for any kind of links to other parts of the system. It is in fact so simple that the usefulness of an installer packge is questionable anyway.

The simple process for Mint Linux and other similar distributions is :

1. Download and unpack.
  2. Move the Xojo folder to its new home somewhere on your system (/usr/local works just fine).
  3. Change permissions on that library file (It would be nice if Xojo fixed that in the download package).
  4. Run Xojo and have fun.

:slight_smile:

I would actually like to create deb packages for the actual apps made. That way the dependencies could be handled in various ways. Because it seems like many people are missing libwebkitgtk and a few other things. Would be great if you could do that when you build the application.

Because of the fact that Linux desktop versions, have become rather easy to install, and maintain, there are a lot more people then I imagined that were using linux. Especially Linux Mint and Ubuntu, which typically Mint is my normal desktop as well. But have been using Windows lately because of some other reasons… mainly to make sure the stuff works on Windows because some apps I am making are for internal use, where everyone is on Windows.

Sorry… kinda hijacked the thread there… Xojo itself runs fine in Linux Mint, so never really thought about an installer for it. But typically missing those same things, that people using an app you build are missing. Could make it easier for people to handle those dependency issues…

See
<https://xojo.com/issue/41414>
Since this isn’t our bug but we get the bug reports about it we decided to avoid getting many reports about this by simply not shipping a DEB

I have to say , it would be nice to get some clarification regarding the messages we see when using 64 bit linux :

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”
libocci.so.10.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory[RB] Unable to load plugin OraclePlugin.xojo_plugin
Could not load libWebKit
Could not load libGtkHTML
(Xojo:4087): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem

I spent ages trying to get these cleared, but to no avail. The requisite packages were confirmed as installed too.

It doesnt stop Xojo running in 64 as we know, but it would be nice to get rid of these messages. The 32 bit version doesnt display them.

Remove the Oracle plugin from your IDE’s plugins folder if you’re not using it

The others I’m not sure of

[quote=304961:@Norman Palardy]Remove the Oracle plugin from your IDE’s plugins folder if you’re not using it

The others I’m not sure of[/quote]

I did remove the oracle plugin in the end since I never planned to use it. Those others are strange; the packages and modules are definitely installed.

@Stephen Thomas , I’m quite familiar with how to install programs in Linux… been doing it for a while. You did provide good info, though.

I guess I didn’t articulate my original question well.

Why does Xojo not provide a deb installer if they recommend a Debian/Ubuntu based Linux distribution for use with the Linux version, but provides an rpm installer for Red Hat based systems?

The tar.gz file works just fine - been using it for years. Just thought it was rather odd they recommend one distribution but put out an installer for another.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers and will take yall’s word for it there’s a bug and move on.

[quote=304973:@Joseph Cole]@Stephen Thomas , I’m quite familiar with how to install programs in Linux… been doing it for a while. You did provide good info, though.

I guess I didn’t articulate my original question well.

Why does Xojo not provide a deb installer if they recommend a Debian/Ubuntu based Linux distribution for use with the Linux version, but provides an rpm installer for Red Hat based systems?

The tar.gz file works just fine - been using it for years. Just thought it was rather odd they recommend one distribution but put out an installer for another.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers and will take yall’s word for it there’s a bug and move on.[/quote]

Yep, I get ya. No feathers ruffled here. I went on a slight tangent to your original question having thought about it myself too when I was looking at the install/setup process.

Just moved to 18.1 here as well, it looks good :slight_smile:

For the WebKit messages :

apt install libwebkitgtk-1.0:i386

The other are harmless as they are not truly errors.

[quote=304957:@Stephen Thomas]
(Xojo:4087): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem[/quote]
You can ignore this warning.

You need to install 32-bit version of at-spi2-atk. In ubuntu, the package is probably libatk-adaptor:i386.

You either install libwebkitgtk-1.0.0:i386 or libgtkhtml.