Dropbox Links will disappear...

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

Michel B

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

A vast majority of my links are on fontmenu.com , but some indeed are on Dropbox. Since there are many and I don't remember, I'll wait until requests come.

3. Markus W

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...
    Edited 2 years ago

Running own cloud on your own server is just a temporary fix. The whole point of dropbox was that you can see and access the pictures/files when you are not only not online, but also after you were run over by a bus.

The only long-term solution is for the forum to host the files itself (as Christian already said).

I wish Xojo showed a bit more interest in keeping their forum running smoothly … I fear by the time they get their backsides into gear the files will have become inaccessible on Dropbox …

4. Tomas J

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Well Markus, it's likely that this will come someday, probably when flarum will become a trustworthy successor of current esotalk forum software. But I want to give you some aspects why I am doing this:

1) Full-Control
    I want to keep control over my images/screenshots/zip files. Even in other forums with upload-functionality I rather use public-folder links. It's a kill-switch If you need a name for this. It's my data and I want to keep control. And if I decide not to share something anymore I can do this. This would be more complicated if I would need to quit membership in several forums and even then all my links, images and assets would remain active.

2) Easy updating
    For updating you just overwrite the file in the public folder, boom, done. No additional announcement or editing of existing posts needed. It's a time-saver.

3) Easy uploading/ sharing
    When talking about time-saving. Of course I could use ordinary FTP for uploading and HTTP sharing. But it would take additional steps to do this. I would need to start my transmit ftp-client but there are drawbacks sometimes, when working behind firewalls with blocked ftp ports or when trying to share something from my mobile devices.

5. shao s

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

esoTalk has a file attachment plugin.. Allows attaching files to a post, as well as putting images inline..

6. Greg O

16 Feb 2017 Xojo Inc
    Edited 2 years ago

@Tomas J Maybe you've all heard about the recent changes Dropbox will make in the next couple of days. They remove the Public Folder. This will directly affect all my posts here in Xojo Forum, cause I am using it a lot for Screenshots or projects files, ZIPs etc.

So if anybody discovers any broken link or image, just shout.

I just looked at their announcement again. Why wouldn't you just create a folder and then just use shared links to individual files? They clearly indicate that those should still work.

7. Markus W

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...
    Edited 2 years ago

@Greg OLone I just looked at their announcement again. Why wouldn't you just create a folder and then just use shared links to individual files? They clearly indicate that those should still work.

Of course we can do it differently for NEW posts. It is about all those links in OLD posts. I thought that was obvious - maybe that's why Xojo isn't getting active? They haven't grasped the problem?

8. Markus W

@Tomas J 1) Full-Control
    I want to keep control over my images/screenshots/zip files. Even in other forums with upload-functionality I rather use public-folder links. It's a kill-switch If you need a name for this. It's my data and I want to keep control. And if I decide not to share something anymore I can do this. This would be more complicated if I would need to quit membership in several forums and even then all my links, images and assets would remain active.

That's why it is called sharing, not lending.

9. Tomas J

@Greg OLone I just looked at their announcement again. Why wouldn't you just create a folder and then just use shared links to individual files? They clearly indicate that those should still work.

There are several reasons Greg:

1) There are 1200+ files in my Public folder (there is not only Xojo, I am also in several aviation forums). It's more likely I install a new server than to touch all these files manually.

2) No information is given if the new shared links will keep their current URL. My rough guess, they won't.

3) Dropbox messed it up... I did not like them before, but they made a good job so I stayed till they kicked the public folder...

10. Jean-Yves P

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

I use web sites that are public and for a long time, like imgur, or cjoint (french site)
    they are free and they always be I presume.
    I don't trust sites like nitroflare,rapidxx, uptoxxx they are on earth to make money on pirated software
    and they can disapear or make their content $$$ when they want.
    I have a small web server, with some Gb on it, but I dont want to use it for the forum as it may be down, or I can disapear ...
    so better stay on free services, and that stay upon time.

but I agree that the best way is to have xojo host also the pictures of the forum.

11. Tomas J

Edited 2 years ago

@Markus W That's why it is called sharing, not lending.

A good point Markus. From a legal point of view uploading and "sharing" something in an internet forum doesn't mean automatically that I am giving away all my rights on this item. It's still "my" picture, I am in charge if this pic shows something unlawful. And If somebody is using my Pic without permission for ads or in a context I dislike, I still have all options to prevent this.

they are free and they always be I presume.

Jean-Yves, well I guess this would move on to another topic in internet. Nothing is really free. You pay with your data. It's free for you cause you're the product, not the pic. They collect and sell your data, IP-addresses, GeoIP location, from which sites you're coming, and where you're going next. And in most cases you loose your rights. Read the legal terms, often they get a blank cheque to deal with your item as they see fit. And lastly, there's no guarantee that a 3rd company will stay online in 5 years...

12. Michel B

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

Who remembers Geocities and Xoom ? Nothing is forever.

13. Axel S

is not verified 16 Feb 2017 Europe (Germany, Erfurt)

that's funny

Dropbox Links will disappear...

and

deleted dropbox folder re appeared after a couple of years

14. Tomas J

@Michel B: reminds me to some business customer: "Mr Jakobs, you're a sole developer, your company is small. Who gives me a guarantee that you will be there tomorrow?" my answer: "The man who gives you the same guarantee for huge Inc., where they add and drop features or even withdraw a product as they see fit."

@Axel: It's an open secret that in Cloud Hosting no data is deleted, it's tagged out so it disappears. NSA doesn't know privacy.

15. Tomas J

Edited 2 years ago

done... quit Dropbox

-image-

16. Michel B

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com
    Edited 2 years ago

@Tomas J reminds me to some business customer: "Mr Jakobs, you're a sole developer, your company is small. Who gives me a guarantee that you will be there tomorrow?" my answer: "The man who gives you the same guarantee for huge Inc., where they add and drop features or even withdraw a product as they see fit."

My answer is usually to let them know Match Software has been around since 1987, and we don't plan to go anywhere.

But another way of replying would be to say : "could you ask the same question to, say, Bill Gates ?". You will never be able to talk to anybody but a phone operator. Small companies provide superior service.

Then, no need to argue further.

17. Markus W

Edited 2 years ago

@Tomas J done... quit Dropbox

… [face palm] … bath. tub. baby.

18. Julian S

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

Well there's always esotalk's git https://github.com/esotalk/esoTalk .

I know this forum where a bunch of programmers reside *looks around*, I'm sure one of those bored inventive souls could put esotalk on a dev box and write a little program to tweak the MySql. They might even post the source on the forum for "someone" to use to tweak their esotalk forum when the dropbox gods break all their images/zips.

Hypothetically of course... ;)

19. Tomas J

@Julian S Well there's always esotalk's git https://github.com/esotalk/esoTalk .

I know this forum where a bunch of programmers reside *looks around*, I'm sure one of those bored inventive souls could put esotalk on a dev box and write a little program to tweak the MySql. They might even post the source on the forum for "someone" to use to tweak their esotalk forum when the dropbox gods break all their images/zips.

Hypothetically of course... ;)

A simple search & replace in Navicat would do the same job aswell...

20. Julian S

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Tomas J A simple search & replace in Navicat would do the same job aswell...

I will have to take a look at this navigational feline you speak of.

21. Markus W

Edited 2 years ago

@Tomas J A good point Markus. From a legal point of view uploading and "sharing" something in an internet forum doesn't mean automatically that I am giving away all my rights on this item. It's still "my" picture, I am in charge if this pic shows something unlawful. And If somebody is using my Pic without permission for ads or in a context I dislike, I still have all options to prevent this.

We are not talking about your private pictures or your business code, we are talking about info you shared that became part of the forum. And is usable within the context of this forum. Nobody implies that that makes it free to use for any purpose, so that is a pointless argument. And if someone is misusing a picture then removing it from your cloud is not doing anything about it, is it? They already use a copy on their own computer, so again a pointless argument.

If I'm fed up with Xojo and leave then I will do that - but I will not take my contributions away. I don't feel that I have the "right" to take it away. I might have the "legal right", but it would feel VERY wrong to me.

But that's just me.

or Sign Up to reply!