Dropbox Links will disappear...

1. 2 years ago

Tomas J

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Maybe you've all heard about the recent changes Dropbox will make in the next couple of days. They remove the Public Folder. This will directly affect all my posts here in Xojo Forum, cause I am using it a lot for Screenshots or projects files, ZIPs etc.

So if anybody discovers any broken link or image, just shout.

2. Tim P

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers feedback://46303

I sent an email to Xojo, I'd like to transition the existing dropbox links to xojo.io
    Even though the site isn't ready to launch, I still think it'd be a good idea to archive the files.

Anyone who has dropbox stuff that wants it to permanently stick around is welcome to contact me here or by email.

3. Christian S

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

maybe the forum should host the images themselves?

4. Emile S

19 Dec 2016 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

I use https://www.mediafire.com/

I created a free account, and put these u-in a Xojo folder.

Works nice.

5. Tim P

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers feedback://46303

MediaFire these days isn't what it used to be. I don't trust it anymore.
    Malicious ads and download manager links and all that.

6. Karen A

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers

@Tomas J Maybe you've all heard about the recent changes Dropbox will make in the next couple of days.

Not so soon. The Email I got said:

Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

7. Norman P

19 Dec 2016 Xojo Inc North of 50

Ah so we can not panic until March 13, 2017 then :P

8. Emile S

19 Dec 2016 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Tim P Malicious ads and download manager links and all that.

Have you seen NitroFlare (for example) ???

But, you are right about advertising windows…

9. Tomas J

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

@Karen A Not so soon. The Email I got said:

You're right, March 15th, I've had January in mind... so grace period is slightly longer.

10. Tomas J

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

I'll bring up this thread again. In the meantime I've installed my own Cloud Server (Nextcloud ). It's up and running... fast and secure. Like in Dropbox there are nice Desktop and iOS Apps and I have a /public folder which won't disappear after March, 15th.

Is somebody else moving from dropbox? Maybe we all could share our new links here, so Xojo Staff could do a global search & replace in forum database?

For Example:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30535865/xojo/mssql.png

will become
    https://cloud.jakobssystems.de/u/tom/xojo/mssql.png

so https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30535865/ will be replaced with https://cloud.jakobssystems.de/u/tom/

It would be a pity if all pictures, ZIP files would be lost...

11. Markus W

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

So we all move to jakobsystems? ;)

12. Tomas J

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Bollocks :-)
    No Markus I assume we all are more or less familiar with hosted servers or have a broadband internet connections and an older PC somewhere to run an own cloud.

13. Tim P

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers feedback://46303

I reached out to Xojo concerning all the dropbox links on the forum. I'm happy to host all the content at Xojo.io but I didn't want to go and scrape the forum and get blocked for making a jillion requests.

They said they'd get back to me, still kind of waiting on that.

14. Michel B

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

A vast majority of my links are on fontmenu.com , but some indeed are on Dropbox. Since there are many and I don't remember, I'll wait until requests come.

15. Markus W

15 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...
    Edited 2 years ago

Running own cloud on your own server is just a temporary fix. The whole point of dropbox was that you can see and access the pictures/files when you are not only not online, but also after you were run over by a bus.

The only long-term solution is for the forum to host the files itself (as Christian already said).

I wish Xojo showed a bit more interest in keeping their forum running smoothly … I fear by the time they get their backsides into gear the files will have become inaccessible on Dropbox …

16. Tomas J

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Well Markus, it's likely that this will come someday, probably when flarum will become a trustworthy successor of current esotalk forum software. But I want to give you some aspects why I am doing this:

1) Full-Control
    I want to keep control over my images/screenshots/zip files. Even in other forums with upload-functionality I rather use public-folder links. It's a kill-switch If you need a name for this. It's my data and I want to keep control. And if I decide not to share something anymore I can do this. This would be more complicated if I would need to quit membership in several forums and even then all my links, images and assets would remain active.

2) Easy updating
    For updating you just overwrite the file in the public folder, boom, done. No additional announcement or editing of existing posts needed. It's a time-saver.

3) Easy uploading/ sharing
    When talking about time-saving. Of course I could use ordinary FTP for uploading and HTTP sharing. But it would take additional steps to do this. I would need to start my transmit ftp-client but there are drawbacks sometimes, when working behind firewalls with blocked ftp ports or when trying to share something from my mobile devices.

17. shao s

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

esoTalk has a file attachment plugin.. Allows attaching files to a post, as well as putting images inline..

18. Greg O

16 Feb 2017 Xojo Inc
    Edited 2 years ago

@Tomas J Maybe you've all heard about the recent changes Dropbox will make in the next couple of days. They remove the Public Folder. This will directly affect all my posts here in Xojo Forum, cause I am using it a lot for Screenshots or projects files, ZIPs etc.

So if anybody discovers any broken link or image, just shout.

I just looked at their announcement again. Why wouldn't you just create a folder and then just use shared links to individual files? They clearly indicate that those should still work.

19. Markus W

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...
    Edited 2 years ago

@Greg OLone I just looked at their announcement again. Why wouldn't you just create a folder and then just use shared links to individual files? They clearly indicate that those should still work.

Of course we can do it differently for NEW posts. It is about all those links in OLD posts. I thought that was obvious - maybe that's why Xojo isn't getting active? They haven't grasped the problem?

20. Markus W

16 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

@Tomas J 1) Full-Control
    I want to keep control over my images/screenshots/zip files. Even in other forums with upload-functionality I rather use public-folder links. It's a kill-switch If you need a name for this. It's my data and I want to keep control. And if I decide not to share something anymore I can do this. This would be more complicated if I would need to quit membership in several forums and even then all my links, images and assets would remain active.

That's why it is called sharing, not lending.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!