Why Xojo Inc. acts like this?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

Michel B

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

I think I will ignore this thread. Nothing good can come out of it.

3. @Michel: Sorry to hear that. What happened with natural born discussion via little disagreement?
    @Markus: What I must to tell to men who seriously insist to use by blind believe native features, even if they are compromised? Only “shame on you”. If you can't live with it, you just tolerate stupidity and blind believe. Blind believe (even blind believe to superior of native controls) is most dangerous thing in the world. It is primary source of wars. If you have doubts, you can learn. If you have only believes, you learn nothing.
    @Jeff: I must it say that by “highborn fellows” I don’t mean you. I’m appreciated about you will to help. Thanks.

4. Tomas J

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Ja I agree with Michel cause the sub-tone is kind of offensive. But I would like to add this one: If you really need so much connections then I strongly suggest to use a proxy server (squid/squidguard).

5. Will S

19 Dec 2016 Santa Cruz 

don't feed what's under the bridge :P

6. don't think is wrong.. a few month ago there is so many spamer..

7. Greg O

19 Dec 2016 Xojo Inc

@ÜllarKruustik At November 2015 I sent e-mail to Xojo support:

What the hell will go on? Why you are doing this? :(

Every time, I go to your forum, at beginning is all right. After three minute or so, your server refuses to serve until 10-15 minutes passes and then all will be ok again till I close browser. Then the same happens! And yes – you are blocking me, because if I connect from different IP (from mobile network) all works again at beginning but from earlier opened computer browser still refuses to connect? What is purpose of that behavior? Are you overworked or what? Can you tell me, why I must want to collaborate with you and give you some of my money? You can think that you are some kind of clever, but I don’t think so. Please explain me, why you forum acts like that, what is the purpose of that?

Not so happy,
    Üllar

They answered, but those were so stupid answers a’la how many browsers you open and how many tabs in browser you use! Yes, we fight with scammers.

Come on! I use everything as usual with one opened browser and few tabs, but with other sites – and I surf a lot – there are no such problems. Can anybody explain me what is purpose of that? Why Xojo does this?

And it is not only forum that not communicates – whole Xojo site will be down for approximately 10 minutes. Please! Again – I’m stupid – tell me why that behavior is good?

Since we're just starting to wake up in the U.S...

I'm sorry you are frustrated with this experience.

To answer your question, Yes, we do have very aggressive security on our servers. It's not just the forum that is protected like this, but all of our web services.

The causes of being temporarily locked out are not just how many connections you have, but how quickly you create them. So if you go to the main page of the forum and quickly ctrl-click five or six topics, I can see that causing a problem. Remember, each new tab opened means three or four new connections to the server to quickly send you the initial page, after which most browsers will only keep one or two open.

I know that this is nearly the same answer that you got from tech support, but I wanted to clarify (as one of the guys that deals with this stuff) that we are not singling you out, but we are also not tuning back our security for this. Having run a web hosting company myself for several years, I take the security of our servers very seriously at Xojo, and since not having enough also means that we can't be focusing on improving our product for you, we tend to err on the side of caution.

8. Eli O

is not verified 19 Dec 2016 Europe (Berlin, Germany)
    Edited 2 years ago

@Greg OLone The causes of being temporarily locked out are not just how many connections you have, but how quickly you create them. So if you go to the main page of the forum and quickly ctrl-click five or six topics,

As a small test I just opened the top 20 threads of this forum each into its own tab as fast as possible. And then I went to each tab and reloaded the page. No problem, it all works, no lock-out.

9. Phillip Z

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

@Eli O As a small test I just opened the top 20 threads of this forum each into its own tab as fast as possible. And then I went to each tab and reloaded the page. No problem, it all works, no lock-out.

What browser? Some browsers now have a look ahead feature (Microsoft Edge) that will start downloading all the links on a page to make page browsing seem faster.

10. Phillip Z

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Florence, SC

Title should be changed: "Why does Xojo Inc. firewall acts like this?"

11. Dave S

19 Dec 2016 San Diego, California USA

@ÜllarKruustik @Michel: Sorry to hear that. What happened with natural born discussion via little disagreement?.

Big difference between a "natural born discussion" and a mindless rant.

While a "few" others have indicated similar problems to yours, the vast majority of us have no problems what so ever. And using my skills as a computer systems developer... When 99% of users are fine, and 1% are not, then you look at what the 1% have or are doing differently than the other 99%, and in most cases rule out all commonality (ie. we all have this forum in common) which indicates to ME that it is not the forum at fault.

So what is different? (these are assumptions at this point)

• you are on a different network path between you and the Xojo Servers
    • you are in a foriegn country (in relation to the Xojo Servers), and you country may (or may not) impose some level of restrictions (remember I said "assumptions")
    • there may be an issue with how your ISP routes the traffic to you
    • your personal internet modem or router may not be configured in an optimum manner

I'm NOT saying any of these are or are not true, I'm just listing them as possible explanations (amongst a 100 others)

There is A LOT between your computer and the Xojo Servers.....

12. First, thanks @Greg.

But I see – you almost all think that I’m act in internet differently than others. So you even don’t believe me, if I say that I browse even-handedly in every site.

Dear @Tomas – I don’t need more connections than needed for normal browsing. Please – where you got idea that I need more connections. Why you arrogate me requirements, I don’t need.

@Greg – I have already tried what you wanted to know many times. And more. Computers and all related to them and more is what gives sausage to my bred, so I’m not that stupid about those things. I explain once more – I open browser or if it is already opened I browse to xojo.com and with control click open forum. Then I search something and again with control click open maximum 3 topics and then read them. If I not satisfied with them, then problems begun. If I go back to search page and click View more, in 90% likelihood server not respond anymore. So I must wait and I think you can’t imagine how frustrating this is, because I use forum very rare. Only, when manual and my mind not give me answers. And then – after approximately after ten minutes Xojo server serves again. And then I can open as many tabs or pages and as quick as I can as my computer memory allows. Until I close last browser with Xojo page. After that all horror begins again. If I meanwhile browse from other IP with mobile network by Samsung Note Tab, I can browse by little (when PC browser still cant connect to Xojo) and then you server bans that also. Maybe you have some rules for “post soviet” countries IPs. I don’t know, but I can tell that this situation is very frustrating and I’m not bad person, but I wish all of them, who just say that I whine, the same thing by years and years… Then maybe you learn something…

And nobody answered my question – Why is that kind behavior good. You restrict using for ten minutes and after that I can do whatever? Point of that is?

13. Eli O

is not verified 19 Dec 2016 Europe (Berlin, Germany)

@Phillip Z What browser? Some browsers now have a look ahead feature (Microsoft Edge) that will start downloading all the links on a page to make page browsing seem faster.

Safari on OS X El Capitan.

14. Tim P

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY
    Edited 2 years ago

@ÜllarKruustik And nobody answered my question – Why is that kind behavior good. You restrict using for ten minutes and after that I can do whatever? Point of that is?

It's a standard practice for web servers to outright block connections from sources they determine are being too abusive. It prevents the whole website going down because of one user. They don't block permanently because IP addresses get reassigned, and it could block a legitimate user after a blocked user switches their IP.

The idea is to block malicious intent, and people scraping for data.
    Not that you care much for user security.

15. Thanks @Tim, but if I want scraping data, it will not help as I can wait 10 minutes and then scrape all I can. So what is the point? And I think that the way I described, my using of forum is not unusual, or really all others browse one-by-one with one browser window and one tab? I don’t believe that.

16. Edited 2 years ago

You would be blocked again very quickly if you were scraping after the time, and thus the scraping would not be practical. And yes, the typical forum user just uses one tab for the forum.

17. Tim P

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@ÜllarKruustik Thanks @Tim, but if I want scraping data, it will not help as I can wait 10 minutes and then scrape all I can. So what is the point? And I think that the way I described, my using of forum is not unusual, or really all others browse one-by-one with one browser window and one tab? I don’t believe that.

My favorite part is how you have no idea how this all works together to provide a better experience for all, and you still think it's all about you.

18. Tomas J

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)
    Edited 2 years ago

Well it was an assumption Üllar... maybe you can't do anything because the problem is on your ISP side? As many others said before, this has nothing to do with Xojo Inc. or the behavoir of Xojo Staff.

May I give onother example? This is screenshot of my Website and the Threats during one month. I would be stupid not to block threats and attacks. For my Customers I even set GeoIP filters blocking away everything east of Poland and south of Italy. Maybe you're just too close to Russia and/or your ISP uses routes via Russia?

-image-

19. Greg O

19 Dec 2016 Xojo Inc

@Tomas J Well it was an assumption Üllar... maybe you can't do anything because the problem is on your ISP side? As many others said before, this has nothing to do with Xojo Inc. or the behavoir of Xojo Staff.

May I give onother example? This is screenshot of my Website and the Threats during one month. I would be stupid not to block threats and attacks. For my Customers I even set GeoIP filters blocking away everything east of Poland and south of Italy. Maybe you're just too close to Russia and/or your ISP uses routes via Russia?

While I appreciate the idea, this is not why he's getting temporarily blocked. It has everything to do with how he's accessing the forum.

Just to be clear, the server will more and more aggressively protect itself, so if you continue to hit the server faster and faster, you will be blocked for longer periods of time. Save yourself some grief and open only one topic at a time.

20. Brock N

19 Dec 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I use to have this problem back in the day. I also use to open everything in a separate tab and then get locked out and have to VPN to get back access to the forums. This was like a couple years ago and the problem disappeared after complaining and sending some ping logs back to the XOJO Team. Not sure what changed to fix my case but I understand how frustrating it can be. Maybe monitor to make sure your browser or any extensions aren't sending additional traffic to XOJO?

21. Emile S

19 Dec 2016 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

Stupid idea:
    It may be because of üller internet speed (50M internet connection) ?

If you have a laptop and can access to a free wifi around you (say McDonald’s, Hagen Daz, whatever), can you try to connect to this forum, from there ?

With a little luck, you will not use your ISP from there, on a slower speed internet connection.

BTW: if your intend is not to get help, just tell so and people from this forum will stop answering.

or Sign Up to reply!