Code editor in Windows is so slow

Hello,

XOJO on Windows (tested on Windows 8 and Windows 10, on two different computers) has the code editor very slooooow!
Caret movements, response to keyboard input seems really slow.
Computers used are i5 and i7, win x64, 8gb ram . So it is not a hardware performance problems.
Compiled XOJO programs run quickly. Also styled text is fast.
Only code editor is VERY SLOW.

Anyone has similar problems?
Any solution/workaround?

Thank you for your help!

The code editor is a canvas, maybe that has something to do with it… Especially with the changes for Windows in 2016R4…

Slow response can also come from the graphic card.

You may want to run http://www.geekbench.com/ to see if graphics are up to your CPU.

[quote=303297:@Michel Bujardet]Slow response can also come from the graphic card.

You may want to run http://www.geekbench.com/ to see if graphics are up to your CPU.[/quote]

I tried on two different computers, with Intel 5000 card and another one with GTX645M. I’m sure the card is not a problem.
Please also consider that I’m a professional programmer, and I use Visual Studio Enterprise 2013 (C#), Embarcadero Delphi, (several text editors) etc… and I have no problem with those code editors.
I tried using Linux and seems really faster. I think the problem is related to the code editor control implemented in windows.

I never said you were wrong, or doubted your competences. I simply never saw such slowdowns myself, which have been reported at different points on this forum. So I just throw ideas.

I am sure it would help a great deal if there was some way to know what triggers these slowdowns.

The fact that the Windows IDE is HiDPI aware would explain, though. Drawing 2x means moving 4 times the number of pixels. Have you tried 2016R 3 ? It is identical, but for the HiDPI part. If that was the issue, it should be much faster.

You can download older versions at Xojo.com, click “Archived releases”.

How many concurent applications are running together ?
Did you have enough RAM ?
Did you clear Xojo Cache(s) ?

Can you exit all running application(s), shutdown the computer,
Power up the computer, check that no application is already running,
fire Xojo
Check if still slow ?

Nota: my 2in1 pc does not use i5 nor i7 and in the Code Editor everything is OK.

I asked some questions to be sure we do not forgot to test something.

[quote=303303:@Michel Bujardet]I never said you were wrong, or doubted your competences. I simply never saw such slowdowns myself, which have been reported at different points on this forum. So I just throw ideas.

I am sure it would help a great deal if there was some way to know what triggers these slowdowns.

The fact that the Windows IDE is HiDPI aware would explain, though. Drawing 2x means moving 4 times the number of pixels. Have you tried 2016R 3 ? It is identical, but for the HiDPI part. If that was the issue, it should be much faster.

You can download older versions at Xojo.com, click “Archived releases”.[/quote]

Hello Michael, I’m sorry, maybe I used wrong words. I said those things just to speed-up the check process, and bypass some trivial steps (just for smile: did you turn on the computer? Is the monitor turned up? :slight_smile: I’m joking).

I got this problem in several older versions (current one included).

[quote=303305:@Emile Schwarz]How many concurent applications are running together ?
Did you have enough RAM ?
Did you clear Xojo Cache(s) ?

Can you exit all running application(s), shutdown the computer,
Power up the computer, check that no application is already running,
fire Xojo
Check if still slow ?

Nota: my 2in1 pc does not use i5 nor i7 and in the Code Editor everything is OK.

I asked some questions to be sure we do not forgot to test something.[/quote]

Hello, Yes, yes, yes :slight_smile:

Xojo runs perfectly. The only issue is its code editor.

What font are you using in the code editor? HiDPI?

I tried using Consolas and Courier New, but nothing changes.
I also tried to change font size.

It’s running pretty fine for me.
I’m on 1920x1080 screen resolution and no DPI scaling. 16GB of RAM and i7 running Windows 10 1607 64-bit.
Using the “System” font.

That’s an idea Matthias:

It’s running pretty fine for me (too).
I’m on 1920x1080 screen resolution, HiDPI, 8GB of RAM (not sure), not a i processor and running Windows 10 1607 64-bit updated yesterday.
Using the “System” font / size.
In a 2 in 1 laptop, touch screen.

Yeah moves fine for me in both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18… no slowdown.

Windows 10 Home 64bit updated, 16GB Memory, Two Kingston M2 SSDs, and 1 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, i7-6700HQ

FWIW - I tested using the “Recommended” Windows 10 scaling for my screen - 150%. Sure enough, every single thing in the IDE is crawling. Just opening the IDE takes at least double the time. The lag when editing text is very noticeable.
This is on a HP EliteBook 840 G2 with Intel HD 5500 Graphics and 16GB of RAM. Latest drivers for the display adapter.

Back to 100% DPI-scaling.

[quote=303530:@Mattias Sandström]FWIW - I tested using the “Recommended” Windows 10 scaling for my screen - 150%. Sure enough, every single thing in the IDE is crawling. Just opening the IDE takes at least double the time. The lag when editing text is very noticeable.
This is on a HP EliteBook 840 G2 with Intel HD 5500 Graphics and 16GB of RAM. Latest drivers for the display adapter.

Back to 100% DPI-scaling.[/quote]

I cehcked it, and I can confirm that DPI settings are at 100% scaling (no scaling).
I also tried using System font but nothing changed :frowning:

Ciao Alessandro,
what is your monitor size?

Try to save the current project in a different folder and then reopen it.

I had this issue many times in the past, renaming the folder and reopening or saving in a different one solved it.

[quote=303293:@Alessandro Manotti]Hello,

XOJO on Windows (tested on Windows 8 and Windows 10, on two different computers) has the code editor very slooooow!
Caret movements, response to keyboard input seems really slow.
Computers used are i5 and i7, win x64, 8gb ram . So it is not a hardware performance problems.
Compiled XOJO programs run quickly. Also styled text is fast.
Only code editor is VERY SLOW.

Anyone has similar problems?
Any solution/workaround?

Thank you for your help![/quote]

Same trouble on Windows10 on Mac VM Fusion; Xojo2016r3 works fine, Xojo2016r4.1 is very slooooooow!

Did you use non ASCII characters in the project (or external) file name ? In the folder hierarchy ?

Did you clear the Xojo cache contents ?

[quote=308950:@Emile Schwarz]Did you use non ASCII characters in the project (or external) file name ? In the folder hierarchy ?

Did you clear the Xojo cache contents ?[/quote]

How can I clear the Xojo cache contents?