Windows Command Line Support Ending?

I saw this article today and I was wondering how this will affect the Xojo console applications on Windows moving forward? http://www.computerworld.com/article/3147668/operating-systems/say-goodbye-to-the-ms-dos-command-prompt.html

Any thoughts?

If MS removes ALL references/access/etc to a CLI interface, that will be the biggest mistake they ever made (Vista would become 2nd, and ME 3rd). Every major operating system in the world has a CLI, and MOST of them rely on it to get the system operating…
Not all “Windows” installs require (or should require) a GUI… but then I’m not vested in Windows anymore… so they can screw up as much as they like…

They’re just changing the default from the DOS command prompt to Powershell- to some, that’s making command line support better - not in anyway ending.

Xojo apps run fine under the DOS-based or Powershell command prompts.

They are not retiring command line. If indeed they retire CMD.exe which is the good old Dos emulator, the sanctioned command line processor has been PowerShell for a while.

Heck, they even support Linux bash command shell now.
http://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/

Since AFAIK Xojo’s shell uses the API, unless the API itself is retired (very doubtful), Xojo’s shell will continue its life as ever.

I agree with you Dave it’s a HUGE mistake IMO. If they do this will the console applications I’ve previously written continue to function? I’m very curious how this will impact console applications moving forward.

Yes. Just try to launch them from PowerShell. It is the replacement to the old command prompt.

Thanks guys for the clarification! I too have been using PowerShell for a while now. Great to know it won’t break all my console applications completely!

I know a lot of IT guys who can’t live without good ol cmd.exe ping and ipconfig. :wink:

It’s time for them to learn how to use PowerShell to do just the same as what they used to do in the command prompt.

I wonder what happens to all those .bat files?

They still work with Powershell.

Simply, instead of executing directly, one has to use the full path, or

.\\mybat

Like in Bash. Note that Powershell also takes forward slash, so this works as well :

./myBat

Instead of making a new thread I figured I would revive this one…

• So, this will not affect the behavior of the Shell.Execute on Windows targets?

As you are probably aware, Powershell and good old CMD are similar but still have differences in formatting, etc

I use Shell object in Xojo to do a lot of CMD commands. If Shell.Execute all of a sudden starts executing code in PowerShell it is going to break everything for me… :frowning:

Simple example : http://i.imgur.com/vRfRTia.png

I’m aware things can be re-written to work, but just wondering if Xojo Inc has done any testing on this on latest insider builds of Windows 10 or am I going to blindsided and have to re-write a bunch of stuff when new build goes live?

What would you expect Xojo to “test”, other than the fact that Powershell is now the CLI of choice?
They cannot be expected to test every combination of code/command syntax that worked in the previous shell, just that it now calls the new CLI.

Xojo has no control over what is passed to the Shell, nor how the Shell executes it, other that insuring that the command structure is passed in and results are passed back. what happens in between is and always has been out of they control.

edit… looks like you must work for the CIA… you example is so redacted, (not to mention the colors), that I could not bear to look at it

OK sorry, I am used to Enterprise level support where vendors try to work with OS suppliers to look for possible compatibility issues… I realize I can’t expect that on a standard desktop license so I will test it internally myself and lower my expectations :slight_smile:

I assumed Xojo Inc would be aware if Shell.Execute would execute in CMD or PS but I can find it out myself :slight_smile:

Thanks

Shell.Execute will use what ever CLI the operating system presents… be that CMD or PS…

If Micro$oft removes the current CLI in favor of PowerShell… Xojo cannot decide to continue using the old CLI… because it isn’t there anymore.

And Xojo does work with MS for compatiblity I’m sure… but what that does not mean that Xojo can test your commands, just PS

[quote=319563:@Zachary Milbourn]OK sorry, I am used to Enterprise level support where vendors try to work with OS suppliers to look for possible compatibility issues… I realize I can’t expect that on a standard desktop license so I will test it internally myself and lower my expectations :slight_smile:

I assumed Xojo Inc would be aware if Shell.Execute would execute in CMD or PS but I can find it out myself :slight_smile:

Thanks[/quote]

it executes cmd for me.

Thanks Dave and Scott

I will also verify internally.

I am not saying to test my commands :slight_smile: Just commands. AKA, I was nosy if Xojo Inc spins up release various candidate OS and test things such as interactions with new changes (for example PS as new default CLI)

Again, not really asking Xojo Inc to do any more, etc… Was more of just a “feeler” to see what sorts of reworking I may need to do on my side :slight_smile:

Thanks guys - good info. This is sort of what I was looking for

I do appreciate how quick you guys replied and helped me out today. Cheers! :smiley:

[EDIT]

Everything running well on latest MS Win 10 build. Doesn’t look like this will directly affect Shell object in Xojo from running cmd code