at command available for Cloud ?

The terminal command “at” allows for scheduling jobs in the short or long term. However it requires access to cron to work (at least as far as I know).

Is this command available to the shell in Xojo Cloud ?

Regards,
Tony Barry

Not at the moment. There is a feature request for cron already.

Thank you Greg. I was the crazy person who initiated the cron request, but naively thought that maybe there was a way round its use (i.e. that at duplicated cron functionality).

Regards
Tony Barry

Unfortunately it’s a situation where we need to give you an entitlement to access cron, as well as an interface for connecting to it.

I see. Can this be circumvented, using timers and date objects ? In the desktop environment, I used timers for this function, but I did not care much about power consumption and my app was set to Not Nap. In the datacentre, with limited processor power, this might be debilitating to my server ?? or maybe not ??

Regards
Tony Barry

You should be able to use a timer. Just keep in mind though that if your app normally quits when users aren’t connected, you’ll need to restart your timer when it comes up again.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you’re trying to do periodically?

Hi Greg,

I’ll reply off list.

Regards,
Tony Barry

Would a cron implementation in Xojo help you?

I think so ! I need to run a process most every day at various times.

Regards,
Tony Barry

@Tony Barry: As a temporary solution, perhaps you could use one of the Web Cron services. Here’s an example of one of those services: https://www.setcronjob.com

I’ve looked into these services in the past, and haven’t ever used them. From what I understand, they simply send HTTP requests on a schedule. It’s an interesting concept, and the services seem inexpensive.

[quote=296700:@Tim Dietrich]@Tony Barry: As a temporary solution, perhaps you could use one of the Web Cron services. Here’s an example of one of those services: https://www.setcronjob.com

I’ve looked into these services in the past, and haven’t ever used them. From what I understand, they simply send HTTP requests on a schedule. It’s an interesting concept, and the services seem inexpensive.[/quote]
I’ll get my cron code together, but this is probably a better option. As Greg said, your app is not guaranteed to be running. But if another server can make a request to yours, that can launch your app even if it isn’t running. It should be more reliable.