ActiveX DatePicker not working

I was using DatePicker ActiveX control for a windows desktop this works fine except that apparently it is a depreciated windows control. Many windows computers don’t have it installed. The problem is that if my app tries to run on a system that doesn’t have the control installed, the app fails to run by doesn’t give any error message.

1. The only suitable alternative I could find is the control by Einhugur, but I can’t justify spending $200 for a datepicker.

2). Is there a way to include the ActiveX control with my app, breaking the link to the external resource?

It grieves me that XOJO does not see the need for a native control like this.

Have you looked at the CalendarWindow project under Desktop->Custom Controls in examples?

That looks like something an amateur would make. I need something that the date can be typed in or selected from a dropdown calendar. Also the calendar time chooser noted on various threads is not suitable either.

So make your own…

or do a little research… Mike Cotrone has a very good “non-amateur” date control available…

And just because VB had a calendar control (which looks pretty cr*ppy), doesn’t define it as a “native control”

Never mind. I was able to find a post about installing the MSCOMCT2.OCX.
DatePicker is now working.

I’d say you are asking for all kinds of issues… but thats just me

[quote]
The VB6.0 DatePicker control is a 32-bit component. As any other control exposed by MSCOMCT2.OCX, it won’t work when used in-process within a 64-bit application[/quote]

Einhuger has a nice datepicker plugin.

His is very nice and basically what I need. It does ignore some keyboard input however so I couldn’t add the QuickBooks functionality I did with the VB6 DatePicker. For example pressing the “T” for today. doesn’t fire any of the key up/down events.

Can anyone tell if the paid version allows you to change core functionality of the control?

It has Events like KeyDown, GotFocus, LostFocus, … so you can implement such shortcuts very easy.

Right, except that certain keys (i’m assuming they are normally invalid) are ignored and never trigger the keydown event.

Sometimes there is no perfect fitting solution available, but you have all you need to create one. :wink:

Ok thanks for your help.

I kind of knew that but I was in denial.

Ok. It took a little more time than I thought, never having done more than playing around with custom controls.
I’m pleased with the way it turned out. (After 10 hours of fooling around!)

Here it is if anyone has use for it.
Date Picker.xojo_binary_project

I have got DateTime Picker (EinHugur plugin) because a could not use a control ActiveX (vb6 DTPicker) under xojo.
It does not run properly with ValueChanged Event, the Time Control changes only by seconds (changes very slow).
the focus on hour or minutes does not respond, even for the date …

[quote=295047:@Neil Burkholder]I was using DatePicker ActiveX control for a windows desktop this works fine except that apparently it is a depreciated windows control. Many windows computers don’t have it installed. The problem is that if my app tries to run on a system that doesn’t have the control installed, the app fails to run by doesn’t give any error message.

1. The only suitable alternative I could find is the control by Einhugur, but I can’t justify spending $200 for a datepicker.

2). Is there a way to include the ActiveX control with my app, breaking the link to the external resource?

It grieves me that XOJO does not see the need for a native control like this.[/quote]

I have got DateTime Picker (EinHugur plugin) because a could not use a control ActiveX (vb6 DTPicker) under xojo.
It does not run properly with ValueChanged Event, the Time Control changes only by seconds (changes very slow).
the focus on hour or minutes does not respond, even for the date …