Xojo Using Windows 10 Spell Check

1. 10 months ago

James R

22 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Connecticut

Windows 10 was released with Spell Checking built-in like macOS. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the Windows 10 Spell Check to work with Xojo?

2. Bob K

22 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

Yes. http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bks-spell-checker-plugin-for-xojo/ It also has options to use Hunspell dictionaries instead.

3. James R

22 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Connecticut

Hi Bob,

As you already know, in macOS, Xojo can use the system spell check. I'm just wondering if that same functionality is also supported in Windows 10 without the need for a third-party plugin. I already have a spell check plugin for Windows. I just wanted to use the Windows Spell checker without purchasing a plugin for a function that is already built-in to the OS.

4. Bob K

22 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

Until Xojo exposes the API in their framework this is the only way, that I'm aware of, to implement spell checking in Windows app in a Xojo app. And even then there's no way, again that I'm aware of, to do the squiggly misspelled symbol in Windows like there is on Mac OS X.

The plugin has the ability to use the built-in spell checkers where available for Mac OS X and Windows. Obviously Window 7 does NOT have the spell checker built-in so we had to provide an alternative method for spell checking - hence the Hunspell option.

This plugin was originally developed for use with the Formatted Text Control where built-in spell checking was a high need. In that control we do all the drawing so we get to control the misspelling squiggle.

5. Michel B

22 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Xojo TextArea does not support Windows 10 correct as typing or underline misspelled words.

6. James R

23 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Connecticut

Thank you Bob and Michel. I have a third party spell check that I use for my other software that I will use for my Windows apps until Xojo supports the Windows 10 system spell check. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

7. Emile S

23 Oct 2016 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@James R until Xojo supports the Windows 10 system spell check

Do not hold your breath 'till then. ;)

8. Tim P

23 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I don't have a link to it, but paraphrasing that one guy who always says things that noone listens to:

If there's no Feedback Report it's not going to happen.

9. James R

23 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Connecticut

The little third party control I have now seems to be working fine, so I'm not in a big hurry. It would just take a few steps out if Xojo did support it.

10. @Tim P I don't have a link to it, but paraphrasing that one guy who always says things that noone listens to:

who would ever say that ?

11. 6 months ago

Stephen D

8 Feb 2017 Pre-Release Testers

Norman's link seems broken. Here it is again:

Feedback Case #45593

12. 5 months ago

Richard D

Mar 20 Pre-Release Testers Europe (UK, London)

@James R Thank you Bob and Michel. I have a third party spell check that I use for my other software that I will use for my Windows apps until Xojo supports the Windows 10 system spell check. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

what third party spell checker do you use?? James

13. Sam R

Mar 20 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan

Does Window not automatically add spell check options to a system text control? Maybe some declare gurus could enable it?

14. Joe R

Mar 21 Xojo Inc
    Edited 5 months ago by Joe R

@Sam R Does Window not automatically add spell check options to a system text control? Maybe some declare gurus could enable it?

Not for the native Win32 control.

15. Michel B

Mar 21 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Neither Notepad nor WordPad have spell check, even if it is enabled under Windows 10.

16. Bob K

Mar 21 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

@Joe R Not for the native Win32 control.

This indicates, perhaps, that a new control is possible for 64 bit windows?

17. Michel B

Mar 21 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Not Xojo 64 bit which is still Win32 (name of the framework).

I would suppose .NET could benefit from that :
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.controls.spellcheck(v=vs.110).aspx

It would seem possible to devise a DLL or an helper in .NET that would be used to present an edition box.

or Sign Up to reply!