Running an Application on Linux Mint 32 bits

Hi,

The application was generated with Xojo 2015r1 on MacBook Pro / (last) El Capitan.
The linux flavor is Linux Mint 32 bits (to avoid troubles): linuxmint-18-kde-32bit.iso,
VirtualBox 5.1.6 (I will update it to 5.1.8 later).

I set a shared folder, but since I do not know under Linux how to access it, I zipped my application (+Libs, support text file and a data text file), I uploaded it on my Cloud, then download it from Mint, unpack it and run it. Complex but effective.

My application splash window have a logo (visible), then some text (the size is far too large). A click and the master window appears.
(I put in the splash screen specs about the db contents: # of Records, last used, etc. This is an informative and useful splash screen)

That master window have a Tab pannel and six canvas with icons. These icons appears only after I click in them.

I was able to import a text file into the empty SQLite db, but the PushButtons does not react correctly to clicks. I had to click in the top/left of the standard BevelButtons and PushButton.

The data base display was as correct as possible (I only stay some minutes to watch if the basic features works), the Listbox background colors (3: one for Odd, one for Even Rows and a third under specific condition - if a column of the row is empty) are OK too.

I’ve made two screen shots, then closed the application send a mail to the Application’s Pro Bono user’s guy and write this report.

Any advice for the not displayed icons / too large text ?
Any advice in general related to the use of Mint is welcome.

I have another question: I was not able to download the Linux 2015r1 Xojo version (the one I have a license # to build applications); no permission I think was the error message. Idea ?

At last, what version do you have to install ?

deb tgz rpm

TIA

I’d better check the project before making comments. Some weird results are not so weird (or not the way I understand), but I still have many questions:

Download Xojo Linux 2015r1
I was able to download it, but from Mint, not OS X. Of course I have it, somewhere in one of my hard disks.
I installed the debian version * and it was not reported any error (I do not fired it because I do not have the Project sources to run / debug).
I think Mint comes from Ubuntu and Ubuntu comes from Debian. BUT I may be wrong.

The invisible images
After checking the sources, I saw that the images are displayed in a #If Target block. Now the question is: How come the images can appears when I do not have code for Linux to display them ? :wink: How the images can be put in the linux exe is a good question (images dropped into the IDE).
[Weird, but not the way I understand at first]

The shared folder
I still not found it. But, in the mid-time, I ran Windows XP and there it is easilly displayed with the current boot hard disk, so I only have to find that in Mint.

The Welcome introduction screen
I do not want to upload my project sources with icons, images, etc. somewhere. So until I found the shared folder, I will not be able to correct that (btw: I do not checked Memory Stick / SD-Card).

The PushButtons/BevelButtons
I do not know why a click in them do nothing (excepted in the top/left of the Control).

Linux in Xojo documentation
I’ve made a quest @ developer.xojo, but either I read too fast or there is nothing helpfull (to me / one have to know before using Linux Xojo).

Answers
This conversation have been viewed 83 times / no answer.

Today
I wil make further testings this afternoon and eventually make more report(s) later.

[quote=294203:@Emile Schwarz]The shared folder
I still not found it.[/quote]

SpecialFolder.ApplicationData is (on my Ubuntu) the home folder

say you have an user emile than it is /home/emile

test it yourself with

dim f as FolderItem = SpecialFolder.ApplicationData.Child("Emile") if not f.Exists then f.CreateAsFolder

This is not normal, I’ve never had that
In Ubuntu Buttons (and PopupMenu) must have a bigger height. (26)

Do not understand right, I see there no difference to other OS

[quote=294203:@Emile Schwarz]I’d better check the project before making comments. Some weird results are not so weird (or not the way I understand), but I still have many questions:

Download Xojo Linux 2015r1
I was able to download it, but from Mint, not OS X. Of course I have it, somewhere in one of my hard disks.
I installed the debian version * and it was not reported any error (I do not fired it because I do not have the Project sources to run / debug).
I think Mint comes from Ubuntu and Ubuntu comes from Debian. BUT I may be wrong.
[/quote]
Yes, correct. You can check it on Debian or Ubuntu Family Tree.

Sorry, can’t understand this. Do you mean exe icon as on Windows? Or place the images in app controls (canvas, listbox, etc)?

You need to install VBox Addition to see those shared folders.

[quote=294203:@Emile Schwarz]

The PushButtons/BevelButtons
I do not know why a click in them do nothing (excepted in the top/left of the Control).

Linux in Xojo documentation
I’ve made a quest @ developer.xojo, but either I read too fast or there is nothing helpfull (to me / one have to know before using Linux Xojo).

Answers
This conversation have been viewed 83 times / no answer.

Today
I wil make further testings this afternoon and eventually make more report(s) later.[/quote]
Same with above. Can’t understand this. Maybe you can attach the screenshot about your problems.

Thanks for your answers Axel and Asis. I will check them.

For my unclear statements:

a. The images mystery.
For unknow reason, probably a scory from the original release debug time, I display images in MouseDown / MouseUp and there I do not added the #Else for Linux: the images are savec with the exe and displayed at click time because of that. I have to remove this bug.

b. [quote=294396:@Asis Patisahusiwa]You need to install VBox Addition to see those shared folders.[/quote]
Argh ! I installed it after that, then shutdown VBox / the computer. Because I boot on an external hard disk for VBox, this is… boring. 256GB SSD is definitely too few for me :frowning:

It was years ago the last time I fired a Linux distro. The one I really liked was Suse Linux. I was able to check pretty easy my projects. I forgot why I stopped to run it. What I mean is… when you do not use some knowledge, you start to forget things weeks after weeks… :frowning: