box.com Rest API

Does anybody here have experience with the box.com rest service?
LINK: box api page

Box is a cloud solution, a lot like Drop-Box or Google-Drive.
It has a way to interact with it, though a rest service.

The standard sync application by Box has some limitations. For now I cannot use an external drive to sync. Or several different folders at different locations.

So, why not making an app that helps me out. Right. I just don’t know where to start.

If everything works, I can then add more functionality to it. Like creating project folders (both local and on Box). That might be very useful for the large amount of huge video files (HD, 4K and even 6K footage) I work with.
My colleagues tend to be rather messy when it comes down to organizing their project and footage files. Often I find myself re-linking footage for hours. This little app might help me out.

But, as I said… no clue where to start. Any ideas or inspiration?

Thanks!

[quote=293582:@Edwin van den Akker]Does anybody here have experience with the box.com rest service?
LINK: box api page

Box is a cloud solution, a lot like Drop-Box or Google-Drive.
It has a way to interact with it, though a rest service.

The standard sync application by Box has some limitations. For now I cannot use an external drive to sync. Or several different folders at different locations.

So, why not making an app that helps me out. Right. I just don’t know where to start.

If everything works, I can then add more functionality to it. Like creating project folders (both local and on Box). That might be very useful for the large amount of huge video files (HD, 4K and even 6K footage) I work with.
My colleagues tend to be rather messy when it comes down to organizing their project and footage files. Often I find myself re-linking footage for hours. This little app might help me out.

But, as I said… no clue where to start. Any ideas or inspiration?

Thanks![/quote]

we use box.com at work but I have always used the web UI to upload/download files. I have not used the REST api. if you get it to work I would love to know how.

I will let you know. By reading the docs it looks like it is not too hard. It is just that Oauth process I never got my head around.

I’ve found something interesting: a plugin for Xojo that deals with oAuth2 stuff. I am just reading about it now. They give examples for the Google APIs. But I am sure it can be translated to Dropbox, Box.com, Facebook, or whatever else uses oAuth.
(more examples with this plugin)

Not sure yet. But slowly getting there…

Just a tip: They have FTP access too :slight_smile:

I know. Very awesome. The thing is… my client has the big-enterprise-you-can-download-the-entire-internet-to-it package. I have the free package, but with file-sync access to their account.

The FTP doesn’t work on my account :confused:

most of my clients have FTP blocked on the firewall both inbound/outbound. For security reasons.
But it is good to know they have ftp.

The Chilkat plug-in actually workshop awesome. It’s really easy. I used the Facebook Auth example, tweaked it a little. Not much has to be changed. Just changing the URLs and disable the code challenge.
I got a token I can work with.