XDC2016 Open Conversation - Day 3

Good morning.

Last night we had dinner at an Italian restaurant across the street. I’d say “surprisingly good” but it’s no longer a surprise. :slight_smile:

I’ll be off the grid for a bit as I’ll be preparing for my session on Kaju at 10 am. For now, a shower, then off to breakfast. Might even wear pants today.

pants are overrated.

Fortunately, Kem do not talked about wearing a tie… :wink:

Kem is updating us on Kaju…

it seems to be a quiet day at XDC…

This morning Mark Strickland had a bunch of great info on how to be an evangelist for Xojo in your own organization. All of us need to be able to put on a salesperson’s hat, even if you don’t think you are in sales… you are selling the solutions to your clients, management, whatever. Good tips for how to help non-technical people understand the benefits of developing with Xojo rather than some other buzzwordy solution they may have heard of.

@William Yu described and provided several example demos for direct access to native Windows ActiveX controls, and declares for interfacing with Windows COM.

For Linux…
There are a few GTK control transparency quirks that don’t affect other platforms.
More declare examples to access the GTK libraries for custom control sizing and placement.

@John Joyce is explaining how to use HAProxy to improve Xojo Web response and stability, with example configurations. If possible, split processes into helper/console apps so the Xojo Web app can concentrate on the UI.

There’s a self-updating pun in there somewhere.

All done. Hopefully it was useful to someone.

@Tim Dietrich’s presenatation on Luna (his home-grown RESTful API open source project) was great! It’s awesome to see Xojo webapps mature enough to compete with the big boys like Ruby on Rails, Yii, etc. I’m definitely going to look at Luna as a possible path forward with my future API development.

Watching @Justin Elliott talk about advanced git features. Funny how he’s given no clue over the years that he’d even heard of git.

(For anyone who knows Justin, he’ll give you an hour on git if you even use a word with a “g” in it.)

[quote=290546:@Kem Tekinay]Watching @Justin Elliott talk about advanced git features. Funny how he’s given no clue over the years that he’d even heard of git.

(For anyone who knows Justin, he’ll give you an hour on git if you even use a word with a “g” in it.)[/quote]

I thought I liked to talk about git… then I met @Justin Elliott … now I know that I am a non-git-talker… in comparison.

@Marc Zeedar is showing us how to use Xojoscript to automate all kinds of things in your app, make your lunch, pick the kids up from school, run a nation, organize the universe, etc.

Wow, that’s power! @Justin Elliott is just showing us how to get git to write all your code for you.

Man, Justin really knows a lot about git. He reviewed stuff I’ve never even heard of.

Now listening to @Paul Lefebvre talk about Modernizing Your Xojo Apps. This is one of the last two sessions.

Thus ends another successful conference. Thanks everybody!

Let’s go for dinner?
14 people down here already

19 walking to mall

Rainforest Cafe and if someone comes to join us.