Pre-Purchase Enquiry

I’ve used RealBasic circa 2008/9 specifically to develop GUI apps on Linux, and was recently quite surprised that Xojo still had my registration details on their system!

Wind the clock forward to the present day and I’m now considering Xojo for similar applications, specifically inspired by the need to sit a user-friendly GUI on top of FTDI’s D2xx library to customise chip registers for a volume production application.

To-date we’ve coded many apps in MS Visual Studio, but the direction that M$$$ Windows has taken has ruled itself out for embedded test system development (please don’t ask).

We could code something in C or Python, though I’m keen to kick off with an IDE that is relatively intuitive supporting rapid deployment and cross-team development, and well-suited to similar future applications on Linux.

Before I purchase and embark on my new voyage of discovery, is anyone able to give me the confidence that Xojo will do the job - specifically working with FTDI’s D2xx driver library as a first project?

Many thanks in advance,

Brendan

Download it and see for yourself… Unlike in 2009, Xojo can be downloaded and evaluated for as long as you want for FREE. The only stipulation is the “free” version does not let you create a deployable app… You can run it only under the IDE…

That being said, this gives you the ability to test any/all functions, and when you decide it will work for you, THEN you buy a license

Thanks for clarifying the ‘free’ install limitations.

At-least I can try it without wondering whether any issues are related to lite functionality, and kudos to Xojo for taking a sensible approach to representative evaluation.

There is one more limitation: while you can save projects, you cannot save them in Text format suitable for version control systems. During evaluation, this should not be a big deal.