macOS Sierra Release first impressions

Since users will be upgrading, I have myself upgraded my production machine to Sierra. I know, this could mean pain, but I rather discover bugs in my apps before the public. From what the beta showed me, anyway, it should not be too much to do.

So far, all apps, and singularly my apps, seem to react normally. Except maybe for 2013 apps that contained fonts that now Font Book does not like, so I will have to update them.

2016R3 works as ever, just fine.

Fingers crossed, everything OK so far.

I installed it on my second machine (27" iMac) and all seems to be working fine.
I haven’t installed it on my main production machine yet - I will probably wait for a few point releases before I decide to do that.

Did a clean install of macOS Sierra on the latest version of a loaded 15" MacBook Pro. The latest versions of LibreOffice, Xojo, VMware Fusion and Dropbox all work well. Code signing and packaging compiled Xojo apps work well using the latest Apple Command Line Tools.

not so really much to report… everything works as expected… so far… some minor new issues I’ve found when opening Apps. A dialog shows up once and tells me, that a font is downloading… I do not know from where but after a second everything’s fine.

Hello,

I think the programs take a few seconds longer to open compared to Yosemite and El Capitan, but all run well!

From my point of view:
All I need on the machine I use at work runs fine - macOS Sierra is installed.
No issues from what I’ve seen so far with Xcode, Xojo and various “developer tools”.

At home I quickly reverted to OS X 10.11. Why…? Because the App I use most (apart from the system Apps such as Mail, Safari, …) crashes with every couple of clicks/actions… The “bad news” for me is: Apple’s own Aperture doesn’t work.

I’ve organized all my digital photos with Aperture, using “Stacks” a lot (group several “similar” pictures together, pick the best as “stack pick”). Moving to Apples “Photos” is therefore not an option… because all stacks will be gone (15 similar picture next to each other, with no information about which one i’ve chosen to be the best). And I don’t have time to re-organize all “albums/events” from the past (maybe 15) years…

So for me it’s a “nearly all ok, but…”

Talking about stacks reminds me of HyperCard, which was supposed to be “the” programming environment, back in the eighties.

Apple has a way of dumping its best love from time to time, and we can only try to adapt.

For myself I have elected to always develop on the same system as customers, so I can spot eventual blemishes before they report them (eat thy own food). But I do get a full complement of VM with previous systems, let alone to be able to verify my apps still work there.

Been working with the beta versions and while on the whole things seemed stable, Safari was and is an absolute pig. Crashes on sites that work in El Cap.

So many people thought that it was the future… Turns out we were all wrong!

This is part of Sierra’s ‘space saving’ functions, it removes unused fonts from your system, then downloads as needed.

During the beta’s I ended turning all that crap off. Then things ran as expected.

Sticking with 10.11 on my main dev machine as I don’t want too many surprises while I’m trying to finish up projects.

I never saw the planned compiler…

macos Sierra clear the trash by itself ?
Not doing so was a well attended feature, when it comes, years ago !

meantime i’ve found first issues in Final Cut Pro… some media is became bloody red and my LUT filter plugins quit working… uhm… the word b l o o d y is not allowed?

They’ve not (yet) discontinued FCP, I guess you need to wait until Apple fixes the compatibility issues with it own OS.

Over the last couple of years, some professional video editing colleagues of mine, have replaced FCP with Adobe. They all miss FCP, but are tired of the lack of support from Apple. A couple of them were so frustrated with the way they feel they’ve been treated (spending $$,$$$ on Apple hardware and software, only to be neglected), they’ve replaced their Macs with Windows and iPhones with Android.

Apple sure it leaving a lot of it’s faithful with a sour taste at the moment.

I have a user who sent me a screen shot of my app running under Sierra. The app is displaying a simple modal dialog box, but it’s completely blank - no text, no controls, nothing. Just a white rectangle floating in space, untouchable.

I don’t have Sierra yet (maybe early next week) and will do some testing then. In the meantime, be careful…

The drivers for my Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 stopped working. Found a third-party driver though.

I’m getting hard crashes when using picture.fromData on data that aren’t pictures. A Word file is fine, but an Excel file causes a crash. Before Sierra, this used to work.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9f68949a __pthread_kill + 10 1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x9f76ced3 pthread_kill + 90 2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x9f5e9a5c abort + 141 3 libsystem_malloc.dylib 0x9f6e099b free + 529 4 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9540e8d3 CSMemDisposePtr + 21 5 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9540e89e CSMemDisposeHandle + 73 6 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x95410740 DisposeHandle + 17 7 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x9621190b QTReadPlugin::~QTReadPlugin() + 71 8 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x9621356f FPXReadPlugin::~FPXReadPlugin() + 19 9 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x96211ec5 QTReadPlugin::init() + 1351 10 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x962136ee FPXReadPlugin::InitProc(CGImagePlugin*, unsigned long, unsigned long) + 102 11 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x96169f48 IIOImageSource::makeImagePlus(unsigned long, __CFDictionary const*) + 1160 12 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x9616b54e IIOImageSource::getPropertiesAtIndexInternal(unsigned long, __CFDictionary const*) + 58 13 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x9616b4ec IIOImageSource::copyPropertiesAtIndex(unsigned long, __CFDictionary const*) + 104 14 com.apple.ImageIO.framework 0x961435c9 CGImageSourceCopyPropertiesAtIndex + 215 15 com.apple.AppKit 0x92673be4 +[NSBitmapImageRep _imagesWithData:hfsFileType:extension:zone:expandImageContentNow:includeAllReps:] + 546 16 com.apple.AppKit 0x926ef6a4 +[NSBitmapImageRep imageRepsWithData:] + 63 17 com.apple.AppKit 0x926eef69 -[NSImage initWithData:] + 105 18 com.xojo.XojoFramework 0x0201387a 0x1f00000 + 1128570 19 com.xojo.XojoFramework 0x0205c796 PictureFromMemoryBlock + 75 20 com.mothsoftware.mailarchiverx 0x000b3e3d Picture.!FromData%o<Picture>%o<MemoryBlock> + 59 21 com.mothsoftware.mailarchiverx 0x01105c9a V4RBPictureViewer.V4RBPictureViewer.DrawAttachment%%o<V4RBPictureViewer.V4RBPictureViewer> + 3138

I would suggest perhaps finding a better way of determining the file type. You have the file name correct? From that you can extract the UTI and then check it to see if it conforms to “public.image”, then try opening it :slight_smile:

If you’d like to follow this up, lets create a separate thread.

The file name is not always correct, which is the root of the problem. I’ve done a simple workaround for the most common file endings for now.

[quote=287999:@Paulo Vargas]Hello,

I think the programs take a few seconds longer to open compared to Yosemite and El Capitan, but all run well![/quote]

This indicates the app is not properly codesigned and put into quarantine. If correctly done, open an app is as fast as previous OSX versions.

You could always read the first bytes to determine the file type, most image formats have a 4 byte indicator or Magic marker as they’re sometimes called.

@Sam: that’s a good idea. Will do so.

If you put your Canvas in a ContainerControl (CC), then put standard code in it, then move the CC Class, you do not have to check the file type: this works as fine as it was it is on Windows.

Once more with feeling: NO NEED TO FILTER THE DROPED ITEM for its kind: any item that its type is not passed in .AcceptFileDrop will be rejected.

Need an example ?