Automatically select current channel when creating a New Conversation

1. 2 years ago

Tim J

16 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

I would wager that in 95%+ of cases, when we wish to start a new conversation, the current channel is where we want to start it.

As a feature request, could the forum software be set up to recognize when we're already in a channel and choose it by default instead of making us choose each time?

2. Bob K

18 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

+1

3. Michel B

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

+1

4. Christian S

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

me, too

5. Wayne G

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

-1 from me. While I like the concept, I think the Xojo engineers (Greg) have enough important Xojo stuff that we want them to deal with.

6. Christian S

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Well, this is not a job for xojo staff. It's more a request for the forum provider.

7. Wayne G

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

Toby may well take this on for his commercial product (and probably has), but for it to be implemented on this tailored site would require Xojo staff - if only to reapply the mods & build a forked version.

8. Michel B

19 Sep 2016 Pre-Release Testers RubberViews.com

It does not hurt to ask anyway. Tim, why don't you file a FR ?

If and when someone hits the forum code, it will be in the pile.

9. Bill

7 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Longview Texas

It would be nice..

10. Dave S

7 Mar 2017 San Diego, California USA

+2

11. Bob K

7 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

Isn't esoTalk open source and written in php? https://github.com/esotalk/esoTalk

Perhaps someone with some php experience and time can figure it out?

12. Tim J

7 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

Ahem, Bob - the Linux and FreeBSD kernels are open source and written in C, why don't we just create a new OS? :P

This is one of the aspects of the modern computing world that I get the biggest laugh from. Open source means nothing if the project design is out of your coding experience purview. Have you ever tried to follow Richard Stallman's coding style in most of the older GNU projects? Even when I "KNOW" what he's doing, I have no idea "WHAT" he's doing. :S

13. Wayne G

7 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

I believe this forum is forked from esoTalk. Clues are perhaps that Feedback links can be pasted and work which I wouldn't expect anywhere else.

To me this would be a nice to have AFTER <place your pet requirement here> android is mine.

14. Axel S

is not verified 8 Mar 2017 Europe (Germany, Erfurt)

This has also been discussed in the esoTalk forum in 2014 (with a possible solution)

http://esotalk.org/forum/1412-new-conversation-channel-without-select-again/0#p6478

15. I believe this forum is forked from esoTalk.

It's not. We try really hard not to make custom changes to the root code because it creates upgrade problems later. If we ever want a chance to upgrade to Flarum , we've got to be very careful.

@Wayne G Clues are perhaps that Feedback links

Our feedback links are implemented as a plugin, not a root code change.

16. scott b

9 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Greg OLone Our feedback links are implemented as a plugin, not a root code change.

could this be address via a plugin then? (Honestly I dont know as I have not looked at the source code, api docs, or anything related to esoTalk - just asking the uninformed question).

17. Tomas J

9 Mar 2017 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Germany)

Greg, how risky is it to make a switch to Flarum? Are there still some missing core-features?

or Sign Up to reply!