Apple Store in-app Subscription

Hi there.
In a recent Apple newsletter, they indicate the new in-app subscription function. Anyone knows anything about it?
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/subscriptions/

We have an StoreKit SDK in our MBS Plugins.
You could try to use it.

I’ll try in the next days. Thanks

#1 MBS is the way to handle IAP.
#2 it sucks for OS X apps. Tech wise, it works well. User wise, we’ve never had any good conversion rates. In an experiment, we made more money selling the app on our site and than we did via IAP on MAS.

What IAP’s have you been implementing? I feel that there should be a big difference between say “free app but pay to use this/pro feature” and “subscription app”.

Has anyone made a subscription app with Xojo yet that would like ot share some initial experiences?

Any, the App Store agent responds to a Xojo application on a separate thread and currently (or at least when I wrote that) the only way technically was via a plugin.

Not yet, but this is something that we’re looking into for the future.

I’m hearing success stories regarding building sustainable apps for the Mac App Store, with in-app subscriptions. I’ve an app on my schedule that I’d like to try it with. Has anyone successfully pulled this off using Xojo and MBS? @Sam Rowlands ?

It doesn’t look very complicated, to be honest, but I’d happily pay for a well-written white paper for this kind of thing.

It is possible with MBS Plugins. All the classes are there and they do work.

It is tricky to get all setup on Apple’s website and than wait for app to see those products.

App Store in-app purchase is currently only possible via a plugin for technical reasons.

I’ve still not tried subscriptions yet, looking at my current schedule I’ll probably not be getting into it this year either.

I use in-app purchases for subscriptions and one-off purchases via MBS plug-ins in Actio -

Technically they work OK - though the workflow for the user is a bit clunky - they have to press OK many times to get the purchase confirmed.

Whether or not they are “sustainable” is another matter. The purchasing preferences of different user demographics is something you’ll have to experiment with for your app.

James, this clunky workflow - is there a Xojo/MBS specific reason why it’s clunky? Or is that just your general opinion of in-app subscriptions? I’ve done it before in Xcode and didn’t think it was too clunky.

Gavin
I’m not clear if it is Apple or the MBS implementation - but the result is that when you purchase an IAP you get presented with 2 (sometimes 3) confirmation windows (to confirm you want it, to confirm you want to pay for it, to confirm you’ve got it) before the certificate is downloaded.
I’d rather just have BUY + ARE YOU SURE? then download.

[quote=310112:@James Pitchford]Gavin
I’m not clear if it is Apple or the MBS implementation - but the result is that when you purchase an IAP you get presented with 2 (sometimes 3) confirmation windows (to confirm you want it, to confirm you want to pay for it, to confirm you’ve got it) before the certificate is downloaded.
I’d rather just have BUY + ARE YOU SURE? then download.[/quote]
Ah, okay, I think that’s all Apple then. And personally, I agree with most of it.

Thanks for your comments, James. I’ll give it a go with Xojo/MBS.

[quote=310044:@Sam Rowlands]App Store in-app purchase is currently only possible via a plugin for technical reasons.

I’ve still not tried subscriptions yet, looking at my current schedule I’ll probably not be getting into it this year either.[/quote]
What do you mean for technical reasons? Does it work different than iAP on iOS?

Don’t know about iOS but when I implemented the APIs using Declares for the Mac App Store, the Store Agent would respond on a different thread, to which there is/was nothing that can be done about it. The Mac App Store IAP must be done via a plugin.

Alright, makes sense. It is done slightly differently on iOS then since that is not a problem. Good to know my StoreKit classes won’t transfer over to macOS since most of the other modules will.

I want to like your comment, but also I don’t as I feel bad that some of your classes are non-transferable.

Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone has any new insights or experiences.

Personally, I’m considering a OS X subscription app with various levels of utility (beginner, intermediate, advanced). I’m guessing in app purchases will cover that type of app…?

why not sell three different apps then ?