Project Centennial apps in the Windows Store

Things are moving. I just received a mail from Microsoft. Apps converted with the Desktop Converter can now go into the Windows Store.

See https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/projects/campaigns/desktop-bridge

Are there any?
Last I heard the process wasnt working…?

Centennial is supposed to be offically supported on all Pro desktops as of the Anniversary Update. See http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-project-centennial-apps-store for a bit more detail.

Is the Anniversary Update available in the Update window ?

I took mine as ISO file because my laptop told me that I am update.

Remember: I am in France.

it started rolling out to users yesterday. It is going to be rolled out progressively, just the same as other upgrades since the beginning of Windows 10.

I still don’t have it on all my computers (only my fast ring test rig). I am in Canada.

Merci Louis.

I was a little bit nervous. I take a look at Microsoft France web site and saw nothing. Nothing too at www.laptopspirit.fr… NOW THEY HAVE AN ENTRY.

Here’s the link to download the ISO file: here .

Works fine on OS X to download the ISO file, what I’ve done around noon.

Does that mean end users need Windows Pro to run the apps?

While there are welcome improvements such as the support for centennial, much improved Edge browser, etc., this update will also bring some unwanted features. For example, it is now not possible for Pro users to block “suggestions” from Microsoft, or the download of crapware from Microsoft. Officil ways, that is. Some methods are posted on the web to work around the new invasive behavior from Microsoft.

I am also considering writing a utility that could remove unwanted applications repeatedly installed by Microsoft. The app would let the user flag a “keep list” and remove all others from the computer. I will see how well the workarounds work. Perhaps MS will also back away from pushing their suggested cr@p on our desktops. (I am not holding my breath…)

@Karen Atkocius : No, I understand that Pro (or Enterprise) is required only to generate the UWP setup. Any version of Windows can install them.

Anniversary update build is necessary to wrap Win32 apps, but it is unclear on which versions of Windows they will execute.

I guess the Windows Store will do like the Mac App Store and verify compatibility before allowing purchase if there are limitations.

Reading this page on MSDN, I would think that the limitations will stem more from the app than from the platform. But I agree with @Michel Bujardet , There is no clear and official statement yet.

FYI — after registering for the Windows Store I spoke with a Microsoft guy today. He downloaded one of my Xojo apps (last updated about 2 years ago) from my web site (they’re InnoSetup installers) and, with my permission, converted it to a Windows Store app.

He gave me the instructions below (redacted):

[quote]I’ve tried to convert XXXXXX and, at a first glance, everything is running fine. The package installs without problems, the app launches successfully and I’m able to use it without issues. But, again, as I said during our call, I would leave the final judgement to you, since you’re the developer and you know the app better than anyone else.

Here are the instructions to install and test it on your PC. Remember that you need a Windows 10 PC with the Anniversary Update (build 14393) to use it. All the files you need are published here: https://XXX.XXX.XXX

1.   Download the Dependencies.zip file and extract it somewhere: inside, you’ll find two folders (x86 and x64) with two .appx files inside. Double click on both on them, press Install and wait for the installation to be completed. Don’t press Launch at the end since it won’t do anything, these are just libraries and not real application. This is a pre-requirement since your installer leverages some C++ libraries. When the app will be released through the Store, the operation will be transparent for the user, since the Store will take care of installing the dependencies for you.

2.   Every package needs to be signed with a valid certificate. Again, this is something the Store will take care for you, but in a side loading scenario (meaning that you’re going to install the package without using the Store), we need to sign it by ourselves. The package is already signed with a self-generated certificate, which you need to mark as trusted for your computer. So double click on the auto-generated.cer file, choose to install it on your Local machine and, in the next step, choose Place all the certificates in the following Store, then press Browse. Choose, as destination, the Store called Trusted Root Certification Authorities. Confirm and close the wizard.

3.   Now double click on the XXXXXX.appx package and press Install: the setup should complete successfully and then, with the Launch button, you will be able to start your app and test it.

Play a bit with it and let me know if you encounter any issue. If not, let me know so that we can move on to the next step, which is finalizing the details (like having a proper icon, setting up the Store account, etc.) and get the app ready for internal testing.
As promised, I’m also attaching a document that explains which is the process to get your apps converted by yourselves. In your case, I’ve found out that the parameter required by your setup to perform a silent installation (which is one of the Desktop App Converter requirements) is /SILENT. So, if you’re going to try the conversion with another app of your own, you’ll need to pass the value “/SILENT” for the -InstallerArguments parameter.

Let me know if you achieve to get good results with any other apps or you have other apps you would like me to start testing and converting. The more we can get on the Store for the launch date, the better is J

Keep me posted.
Have a great day!
[/quote]

This is great news for Xojo developers since my apps are Win32 apps.