macOS (sierra) Xojo applications status ?

10.12 change many things and in particuliar the way the application can or cannot be run.

What is the status of the applications created with Xojo ?

Nota: I do not have installed - yet - macOS (sierra), but I will do it probably next week on an external hard disk. I am preparing myself mentally for the OS disaster :frowning:
I have no doubt on the Microsoft and Linux (community) to implement the same mechanism in their next version, depending on how this will work on the Apple new OS.

TIA

I gather Xojo works OK, but do you rely on Parallels Desktop? Iā€™d like to know if Parallels runs on Sierra before updating.

Parallels Desktop 11 works just fine on Sierra.

@Sascha S Excellent. Thank you!!

This already has a thread:
https://forum.xojo.com/33341-macos-10-12-slow-app-start

Gatekeeper is more strict now and Xojo apps can launch very slowly when they are not codesigned correctly.
AppWrapper 3.6 is already adapted to the new codesigning (for both apps and dmg).

Thanks Christophe, but I was inquiring for something like permission to run (GateKeeper /SIP) not speed (even if I care about speed).

You should read that thread.
Its all about Gatekeeper/SIP/ā€¦

When you launch a Xojo app in macOS 10.12 (and it is not correctly codesigned) it will take a very long time to launch because Gatekeeper did not approve the app (correctly).

In that thread there are is also a dirty trick to bypass the Gatekeeper etcā€¦

Christoph:

thank for correct me. I just read it and you are right !

I was pertubated by the conversation title. So this entry is a duplicate. Sorry.

Xojo have more work on its plate :frowning:

If you make sure you codesign both app and dmg correctly it does work as expected and it is approved by Gatekeeper.
Samā€™s AppWrapper 3.6 is making sure you do not have to worry. :slight_smile:

[quote=278070:@Emile Schwarz]
Xojo have more work on its plate :([/quote]

Signing your application properly is not work for us to do
That is your responsibility

[quote=278076:@Norman Palardy]Signing your application properly is not work for us to do
That is your responsibility[/quote]
So, Xojo sill sold a useless (without third party) software creation. Very strange.

Unfortunately, I saw so many strange things in the last 10 yearsĀ… :frowning:

Yeah kind of like Ford sells you a useless car because it doesnā€™t come with its own built in petrol refinery but ā€¦

Strasbourg has been experiencing stormy canicular weather. Could explain :stuck_out_tongue:

I would say more like the folks at Apple sold you a computer without a power plug.
It works, just go figure out how to get it to start.

Everything you need to do code signing is on your OS X machine
If you dont already have everything Xcode is free and installing it will definitely mean you have everything
And we remind you to go get it for building & testing iOS apps

Now you have everything except the cert for Apples program which we cant help you with anyway

That code signing is not available or integrated into the IDE doesnā€™t render the ide ā€œuselessā€ or ā€œbrokenā€
Not as helpful as it could be - that I would agree with

I am so surprised that I do not even know how to explain how surprised I am.

In the chain from the application tech specifications to the user, there is some holesĀ…

Yes, of course, one may also say that Xojo do not provide the software to write the applications tech specifications, then start to write the code, design the interface.

Now, if I try to get a different point of view, Xojo provide the skeleton and the developer have to:

know how to write code, know how to design the User Interface, know how to use the declares to fills the existing holes, know how to develops plugin (for specialized features) have a CS, else there is nothing to see hereĀ…

And, I do not talk about the features I do not use (but this is always the case, isnĀ’t it ?) because they are useless to me or I do not know how to implement them (and I tried / searched and sometimes asked). AndĀ… the features I do not use because they are not available.

Iā€™ve recently opened a large Xojo project with Real Studio and I had only a few changes to make it working ! I was amazed !

I apologize if the text above is not crystal clear, at this time, my brain is starting to be in low work (25% ?): it is time to sleep.

I do not wrote that.

Same here.

Excepted the documentation.
BTW: talking abour codesigning: wht is this co-design business ?
(yes, this is a joke).

Even I have paid the Apple Tax to get a dev cert. And I am as Scottish and mean as can be.

Itā€™s necessary.

AppWrapper3 is also pretty well necessary (no relation to Sam Rowlands, just I like AppWrap3 :slight_smile:

Regards, Tony Barry

BTW App Wrapper 3, does a ton more than just code signing; Iā€™m designing a site refresh that help explain all the benefits to App Wrapper.

Obviously I stand to make more if Xojo donā€™t include a code signing or packing function into Xojo, but also it allows them to focus on building a better development tool, while I focus on the signing, packing and other functionality. The rate at which Apple changes things, Xojo might have to hire someone just to focus on App preparation and distribution.[quote=278158:@Norman Palardy]Everything you need to do code signing is on your OS X machine
If you dont already have everything Xcode is free and installing it will definitely mean you have everything [/quote]
For a while now Apple doesnā€™t include all the required components to actually sign an application (although reading a signing identity is still possible), you do need the Xcode download. I did contemplate having copies of the components within App Wrapper, however as downloading and install the signing identities is easier with Xcode than without, I chose not to.

I would have said itā€™s like ā€œFord selling a car without paying road tax, the user/driver still has to pay road tax to the government to drive it legally on the roadā€. Having just bought a new car, we have to also pay the government road tax. Itā€™s not included in the purchase of the car. We could of course not pay, either drive it illegally on the road or only on test tracks / trails.

You donā€™t need to sign your applications, only if you want users to be able to download them from the web and easily open them. Or if you want to sell in the App Store, and thatā€™s on top of the annual fee and 30% profit share.

Road tax ?

Yes. Road tax. In Australia, you pay a tax which is used for upkeep of the roads.

Regards,
Tony Barry