Connecting to Firebird from MacBook

Hi, i’ve decided using Firebird for a multiuser desktop multiplatform application.
As I’ve some Macbook client and database server is on a Windows Machine (i can’t have a mac os firebird server) is possible connecting to the windows server from a mac os x xojo client?

Regards

Marco

It’s possible as long as you have a Mac-compatible Firebird ODBC driver. A quick Google searched turned up this one, but I’ve not tried it:

Easysoft Firebird ODBC driver

Hum. Paul, is it not already available via the ODBCPlugin that comes with 2016R1.1 and 2016R2 (possibly prior but I did not check) ?

Only Windows & Linux.

You can also try the MBS SQL Plugin which supports firebird directly.

I am using Firebird for many years. First with VB6 and now with Xojo. A great database.
I had been using MBS SQL Plugin and I am very happy whit it.
@Christian Schmitz is a very kind person and all his products are extremly good.
I hope in the near future Xojo guys decided the develope a native access to this extraordinary database.
Since that happens (I hope soon) all my advices are in MBS direction.
Whatever you need to use Xojo + Firebird just contact me.

What do you mean ? I see the ODBCPlugin in the plugins folder of Xojo on my own Mac.

It was installed by Xojo, not me.

I’m developing a project using the Windows version of Xojo and Firebird. Here’s an example of using the ODBCPlugin:

DbSrv = New ODBCDatabase DbSrv.DataSource = "DRIVER=Firebird/InterBase(r) driver;Uid=SYSDBA;Pwd=masterkey;DBNAME=127.0.0.1:C:\\Project X\\MyDb.GDB"

[quote=277974:@Michel Bujardet]What do you mean ? I see the ODBCPlugin in the plugins folder of Xojo on my own Mac.

It was installed by Xojo, not me.[/quote]
Sure, the plugin works on Mac/Win/Lin, but you still need to install an ODBC driver on the OS in order to connect to the DB. The Firebird folks don’t make an ODBC driver for Mac, so an alternative is needed.

And is it CrossPlatform? :smiley:

Mac, Windows and Linux.