WEB: Reading QR-Barcode?

I’m searching for a simple solution to read QR Barcodes with the cam of MacBooks and iMacs in WebEdition Apps.
Does anyone done this before?

You won’t be able to with Xojo Web.
Web browsers do not have access to the camera without third party technology like Adobe Flash.

MBS Plugin can recognize bar codes.
Also we can get image from webcam.

Problem is normally to get sharp image for small distance.

[quote=269870:@Christian Schmitz]MBS Plugin can recognize bar codes.

Problem is normally to get sharp image for small distance.[/quote]

This code would run SERVER side though

Take a look at Pic2Shop PRO.

It will allow you to use iPhone as the barcode reader and send the data to a Web App. I wrote an XDev magazine article a few months ago about how it works.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but it is an option to get barcode data into a Webapp. It may also give you some other ideas.

1 Like

sorry.
Still you can use an File Uploader and feed it with an image form camera on an iPhone, right?
Than use plugin on server to detect barcode.

[quote=269880:@Christian Schmitz]sorry.
Still you can use an File Uploader and feed it with an image form camera on an iPhone, right?
Than use plugin on server to detect barcode.[/quote]
Probably
Its just awkward and not as straight forward as “point your camera at the bar code & it detetcs it”
But thats in part web browsers

Marks post may be a way to do it

I made a App with Swift for Mac, I don’t have a problem with the MacBook cam and the sharpness.

But the same with XOJO as Web-App makes headaches. :smiley:
So with the combination take picture and using MBS Plugin, I’ll get to my goal?

I have used QR Codes to identify equipment that I work on. The QR code is of the type URL with the device ID passed as a parameter. This allows me to use the QR reader app in my phone which then loads the browser which connects to my Xojo Web App. This didn’t require anything special in the Web App, but only works for that one code type.

@Wayne: The idea is good, but not all of my inhouse-users have a smartphone. :frowning:
But everyone has an iMac or MacBook. :slight_smile:

I have to find a solution in the web app.

You may want to have a look at https://forum.xojo.com/26652-can-access-the-camera-iphone-and-android/0 for the camera. A good deal of the methods are valid for a Mac. And there is another link inside to yet another similar discussion.

And that https://forum.xojo.com/2403-reading-barcodes-or-qr-codes-with-xojo/0

The easiest and fastest way seems to use MBS to read the barcode.

So, what did you suggest?. Of course I tried your plugins and are great.

Are able to detect barcodes, but As you said, the problem is focusing the webcam.
Because even with good light it shows lightly blurred, Also I tried to threshold the picture taken from webcam with your plugins.

But no results, I only got results when I Use a digital photo of the QR

Delicious Library implemented a fake barcode scanner overlay on the webcam view way back when to try to suggest to users where to hold the barcode to be read. It worked really well. This isn’t really a problem that can be solved in code, but needs to be solved by the human using it.

iSight webcams (the ones built into Macs) should be able to get a useable image of a QR or Barcode when it’s held about six inches away. Other webcam manufacturers may not use as high quality image sensors, and again that’s not really anything you can fix in code.

Thanks Tim, yeah, I Suspected that, I need to use a better webcam I’m using a Logitech C170 Webcam USB.

There’s also GraffitiWebQRReader, which is included in GraffitiSuite