Case sensitive string comparison

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using Xojo for over a year and it took me until NOW to realize that string comparisons are case insensitive. I ran into a case where that broke my program’s logic, and it took me several hours of hair-pulling to figure it out.

At this point, I realize the fix is to use StrComp in mode 0 instead of = and <>, but that’s going to be a HECK of a lot of work to track down all my string comparisons and manually change them (you can’t just do a Find/Replace).

Is there any way to overload the = and <> operators for strings to make them case sensitive by default? Maybe Operator_Compare? I’m not really clear based on the example provided in the docs.

Thanks in advance!

Not really. To use operator compare, you’d have to create your own class and use that in all cases.

On the Mac I use the following snippet somebody posted ages ago:

Function CompareRows(row1 as Integer, row2 as Integer, column as Integer, ByRef result as Integer) As Boolean
soft declare function CFStringCompare lib “Carbon.framework” ( s1 as CFStringRef, s2 as CFStringRef, opt as UInt32 ) as integer

dim options as UInt32 = 193//800//1 + 128 + 512 etc etc. //kCFCompareCaseInsensitive || kCFCompareDiacriticInsensitive || kCFCompareForcedOrdering etc.

result = CFStringCompare(me.cell(row1,column), me.cell(row2,column), options )
Return True
End Function

Option set to 193 makes also numbers sort correctly (against 1,11,2,3 etc.)
Although Carbon.framework is invoked, I have not had any trouble using it in Cocoa apps or having them accepted at MAS.

So, sorting a listbox with the following rows:
alpha
beta
n

I get:
alpha
n
beta