ListBox CellHelpTag not shown in 64Bit Apps

2 of my 64Bit Mac App Store Apps (mySalesAgent, Update Monitor) showing a “Tooltip” with the full CellText if the CellText is wider than the Cell, but this is not working currently in 64Bit Apps (<https://xojo.com/issue/43004>).

Does anybody know how to workaround this issue please?

I see two possible ways :

• Overlay a canvas which will trigger the tooltip,
  • Use a canvas to draw and show the tooltip

The first solution is probably the simplest, as you can position a very small canvas just under the cursor. I used a 20x20 canvas together with this in the ListBox :

Sub MouseMove(X As Integer, Y As Integer) if me.RowFromXY(X,Y) = 4 then Canvas1.left = X-10+me.Left Canvas1.Top = Y-10+me.top Canvas1.HelpTag = "This is a very long text that won't fit in the cell" // Get the value of Cell() else Canvas1.Helptag = "" Canvas1.Top = -100 end if End Sub

Tested in 64 bits, of course.

I think none of the tooltips work on 64-bit OS X Apps as mentioned here .
I ended up subclassing this solution.
Maybe it helps.

[quote=254320:@Marco Hof]I think none of the tooltips work on 64-bit OS X Apps as mentioned here .
I ended up subclassing this solution.
Maybe it helps.[/quote]

Thank you @Marco Hof But it does not work in 64Bit :slight_smile:

[quote=254319:@Michel Bujardet]I see two possible ways :

• Overlay a canvas which will trigger the tooltip,
  • Use a canvas to draw and show the tooltip

The first solution is probably the simplest, as you can position a very small canvas just under the cursor. I used a 20x20 canvas together with this in the ListBox :

Sub MouseMove(X As Integer, Y As Integer) if me.RowFromXY(X,Y) = 4 then Canvas1.left = X-10+me.Left Canvas1.Top = Y-10+me.top Canvas1.HelpTag = "This is a very long text that won't fit in the cell" // Get the value of Cell() else Canvas1.Helptag = "" Canvas1.Top = -100 end if End Sub

Tested in 64 bits, of course.[/quote]

Thank you @Michel Bujardet but it does not show the HelpTag too :slight_smile:

Maybe because:

Do attached windows work in 64bit? Probably the window is too large for a listbox.

See https://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/class-maattachedwindowmbs.shtml . I’ve got a wrapper for this if you want to have a look.

[quote=254324:@Sascha S]Thank you @Michel Bujardet but it does not show the HelpTag too :slight_smile:

Maybe because:[/quote]

What do you mean ? I tested it before posting, as usual. It does take a second to appear, as help tags do.

help.xojo_binary_project

That said, if you want instant show, why not simply use a canvas to display ? It is not that difficult to do.

[quote=254329:@Michel Bujardet]What do you mean ? I tested it before posting, as usual. It does take a second to appear, as help tags do.

help.xojo_binary_project

That said, if you want instant show, why not simply use a canvas to display ? It is not that difficult to do.[/quote]

I took your Example, set OS X Builds to 64Bits and compiled it (not touching any code). I start it and move the Mouse over the Listbox and wait. Nothing… :slight_smile:

[quote=254326:@Beatrix Willius]Do attached windows work in 64bit? Probably the window is too large for a listbox.

See https://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/class-maattachedwindowmbs.shtml . I’ve got a wrapper for this if you want to have a look.[/quote]

How is this related to the HelpTag issue please? :slight_smile:

Lack of time. HelpTags in 64Bit will (MUST!) be fixed and i will have to wait until they work again. :slight_smile:

But <https://xojo.com/issue/43004> is on Rank 639. I think i will have to wait a bit longer (and i am one of very few Devs who use Tool Tips on 64Bit). :wink:

@Sascha: I’m using attached windows instead of helptags:

Thank you @Beatrix Willius :slight_smile:

I assure you here it works perfectly. But hey…

Back to what I was doing before, now.

I am happy about you trying to help me. Maybe we have more luck next time. Thank you :slight_smile:

If someone else can confirm that Michels workaround is working in 64Bits OS X Apps, i can mark it as an answer to my Question, please.

Thank you.

Sascha, if it does not work at your place like it does here, it means it will not be reliable, and no good for professional software.

IMHO using a canvas to display the tooltip is probably your best bet.

Or a small box window, but that would deactivate the window underneath.

Very strange, but here HelpTag on a listbox works:
– Xojo version 2015 Release 4
– OS X 10.11.3
– Built for 64-Bit

Edit: I now see that CellHelpTag doesn’t. I think the title of the thread should be adjusted to reflect that.

Michel’s solutions works perfectly on 64bit. You must hover over row 4 to make it visible.
Listbox cellhelptags does not (R2015-4.1, as noted in the docs)

Michael +1

Yes please.