SMTPSecureSocket sending multiple emails back-to-back

I have an application (huge enterprise app) that also sends emails via SMTPSecureSocket. Prior to Xojo 2014R4 I’ve had no problems sending single emails and no issues sending multiple emails (to different recipients, invoices w/an attachment - a PDF) in a loop back to back.

As of Xojo 2015R4 & 2015R4.1, this task still works perfectly when run on a Mac. However, when run on Windows (any version so far as I can tell), this task just doesn’t send anything nor does the SMTP server report back success or failure. Nothing happens. When a single email is sent, success, no problem. But, send two emails back-to-back, and nothing happens at all.

Again, this is only when run on Windows and using the SMTPSecureSocket. If I change the object to SMTPSocket (and comment out the .Secure and .ConnectionType), Windows (and all platforms) work perfectly with Xojo 2015R4 and 2015R4.1.

So, my question is, am I missing some parameter that needs to be set somewhere that changed between 2015R3.1 and 2015R4? Or, is this a bug that needs to be submitted to Feedback?

don’t you use MBS Plugins? You could use CURL as an alternative to send emails.

I may have to switch to using CURL instead of Xojo’s SMTPSecureSockets. I will need to see how to implement your plugin compared to how I use Xojo’s.

Nonetheless, if there is a bug within Xojo’s, I want someone to be aware of it. I’m just looking to see if anyone else is seeing the same problem so that I know if I should file a Feedback report, or not.

One more observation with this. Xojo 2015R4 and 2015R4.1 fails to send multiple emails only when run on Windows, and ONLY with 32 bit compiles. The 64 bit compiles work just fine. I’m really beginning to wonder if this is truly a bug in Xojo. Hmmmm

How do you initiate the consecutive sends ? If you do that in the MessageSent event, it can be a problem on Windows. You may need to use a timer instead, or create a new instance of the socket in a queue to send each message.

I don’t use the MessageSent event for that at all. I do write back to the database upon a successful message sent and also in the ServerError event to record when there is a problem. But, that’s it.

Keep in mind, this all worked perfect for a very long time in prior versions of Xojo, 2015R3.1 and back. 2015R4 & 2015R4.1 both work on Windows in 64 bit compiles, as well. ONLY Windows 32 bit builds fail with this.

[quote=246839:@Terry Eutsler]I don’t use the MessageSent event for that at all. I do write back to the database upon a successful message sent and also in the ServerError event to record when there is a problem. But, that’s it.

Keep in mind, this all worked perfect for a very long time in prior versions of Xojo, 2015R3.1 and back. 2015R4 & 2015R4.1 both work on Windows in 64 bit compiles, as well. ONLY Windows 32 bit builds fail with this.[/quote]

If you do not use MessageSent to synchronize your calls, how do you manage that ? Would it not be possible that somehow Windows 32 bit be slower than Mac and 64 bit, which would explain ?

It would not hurt filing a bug report though, to make sure of what is happening. You may file it private if you are unsure.

[quote=246843:@Michel Bujardet]If you do not use MessageSent to synchronize your calls, how do you manage that ? Would it not be possible that somehow Windows 32 bit be slower than Mac and 64 bit, which would explain ?

It would not hurt filing a bug report though, to make sure of what is happening. You may file it private if you are unsure.[/quote]
All that I know is, all previous versions of Xojo worked just fine in 32 bit Windows, along with all the other platforms until Xojo 2015R4.

Nonetheless, I’ll go ahead and file a bug report on it.

Thanks

Then it is all the more important to spot an eventual regression. You may also want to check in the R016R1 beta, since I see you are part of the beta testers. After all, if a fix is necessary, that is where it will happen.