Bug fixes

A question for Xojo:

When I started using Xojo, 2 years ago, I found a bug with Web scroll bars and reported it on 2 occasions (23/6/2014 and 18/07/2014)

They are ranked 781 1st and 822 nd

Nothing has been done yet.
I received information that they have been reviewed.
Is it possible to know if and when this will be fixed?

Thanks…

[quotet possible to know if and when this will be fixed?

][/quote]
I have been using RB/RS/Xojo since 2000 so I’m pretty sure I’m correct with this answer: No.

Roger put it quite succinctly: No. But, if you feel these are very important bugs to many people you can lobby us to put points on it. The more points the more likely they’ll at least look at it but still no guarantees.

Bob and Roger, thanks.
In this case, I made a “Bug report”, but really I don’t consider it a bug. A bug is something that has gone wrong, due to any of many possible reasons (a simple math operator wrong, or a unaccounted variable coming into play etc…) Anyone who makes software knows that “bugs” are always possible as there are many combinations of data and one may crash your app.

In my case it it seems to be an omission. The properties of the web scrollbar have not been configured. In the desktop scrollbar they are configured.

I have worked around this problem, but if they fix it, it will be better. After all I paid (and continue paying) to have a license to use Xojo. So I think that they should fix it promptly.
Imagine if I buy a car that comes without an engine and when I inform the vendor he says “make a bug report”…

It is risqu to make assumptions of “what should be” in Xojo Web based on Desktop. The clever Xojo IDE and the uniform presentation of controls mask the inherent difference of nature of said controls, and the possibilities to make them behave identically.

In Desktop, Xojo has full control of every aspect of a control, and the program has immediate millisecond access to any corner of the control. In Web, AFAIK the WebScrollBar is a custom control, so it would seem possible to make it behave more like the Desktop one, but there are limitations of the Web itself that may preclude it. Let alone that it takes several milliseconds of data travel back and forth between the browser and the program to effect anything.

Xojo web is a terrific RAD, and the scrollbar is not a vital component like, say, a WebPage. Sure, it may be important to you, but I do not believe the comparison with a car without engine is appropriate in this instance.

The “I am paying, they should fix it promptly” opinion is IMHO something that we tend to use all too often. Especially as programmers, we should be humble enough to realize the complexity of such a product as an integrated development environment. I rather have engineers spend time making the next version HiDpI/Retina aware, for instance, than fix promptly a scrollbar. Each his own priorities.

Good day Michel. You said:
“It is risqué to make assumptions of “what should be” in Xojo Web based on Desktop. The clever Xojo IDE and the uniform presentation of controls mask the inherent difference of nature of said controls, and the possibilities to make them behave identically.”

I cant agree with you, because if I did, then why does Xojo have “Line Step and Page Step” in the web scrollbar properties, if they don’t work.

You say:
“I rather have engineers spend time making the next version HiDpI/Retina aware, for instance, than fix promptly a scrollbar. Each his own priorities.”

Obligations should be on top of priority list…

You say:
“The “I am paying, they should fix it promptly” opinion is IMHO something that we tend to use all too often.”

How many times have you heard me say this? Is there a number of times that I am allowed to say something ???

You say:
“Especially as programmers, we should be humble enough to realize the complexity of such a product as an integrated development environment.”

I not only agree, but also admire people who develop these complex environments, but this does not mean I cannot give my opinion.

You sais:
“In Desktop, Xojo has full control of every aspect of a control, and the program has immediate millisecond access to any corner of the control.”

In Desktop Xojo, on my Mac, the scrollbar does not have the arrow heads, which annuls the “Line step”

In resumption, my principle work is not software. I have made dedicated software for my own use for many years (as soon as MS made VB available). I then decided a short while ago to sell software to my clients. I decided to investigate what other software (apart from VB) there was available. I came across Xojo, and liked it as being relatively easy to use and the conditions of price, web deploy etc. very favorable.

So, if you can contribute to the solution, I thank you very much. But if you cannot, don’t waste your time giving me a lesson in moral.

The WebScrollbar and the docs do not correspond. This is a bug, either an implementation bug (which is what I suspect) or a document bug.

[quote]WebScrollbar.LineStep
The amount the value changes when a scroll arrow is clicked. The default is proportional to the size of the WebScrollbar.[/quote]
The default is 1 in the IDE. So what the heck does the second sentence mean? And the event is fired as long as the mouse is down, so why is this line step property available anyway? It should fire on mouse up for proper line steps.

[quote]WebScrollbar.PageStep
The amount the value changes when the user clicks in the Scrollbar track. The value changes to the location of the click.[/quote]
Do I hear a slight contradiction between sentence one and sentence two?

Bottom line: I don’t use them. I’ve created my own ones with a WebControlWrapper.

At least Xojo could amend the docs on these two properties…

At one point, such an attitude is not only uncivil, it is also extremely unproductive.

I was actually going to offer a workaround, but since you do not even seem to understand a forum is also a place to exchange point of views in a courteous manner, I won’t waste anymore of my time providing any technical support to an unpleasant individual.

Good day, Sir.

[quote=247145:@Michel Bujardet]At one point, such an attitude is not only uncivil, it is also extremely unproductive.

I was actually going to offer a workaround, but since you do not even seem to understand a forum is also a place to exchange point of views in a courteous manner, I won’t waste anymore of my time providing any technical support to an unpleasant individual.

Good day, Sir.[/quote]
Sigh. Michel, being unpleasant in return is not exactly how grown-ups should behave. You are usually a very helpful individual - don’t turn into Brad 2.0 …

Technically… XOJO has no “Obligations” to anyone… any contract explict or implied does not go beyond the version of XOJO that you have licensed. Now of course that is LEGAL obligations, MORAL obligations to fix, enchance and better the product is a whole nother story.

a) depends on the version of OSX you have… APPLE removed the arrow heads… NOT Xojo
b) remember this is cross platform… so some options exist for Linux and/or Windows as well
c) the whole idea is to try an provide as seamless a cross platform as possible, and I’ll bet in some cases control class structures are reused to allow the project file system and base parser to remain code common… (just a guess on my part)

Thanks Dave for your information.

As for the legal obligation, I a not worried. I know that the moral obligation is what counts for both client and Xojo.

As for the missing arrow heads, I can deal without them by putting the Page Step to 1 (as it changes relatively fast, it works well.)
What worries me is that you say that Apple removed them. I thought that they were belonging to Xojo.
If Apple can simply remove parts of components, this would affect apps already sold to a client? Or would this not affect software already deployed?

If a make an app in desktop (on my mac) with the scrollbar without arrows and I sell it to a client that uses a PC (Windows), will the arrow heads appear to him?

[quote]As for the missing arrow heads, I can deal without them by putting the Page Step to 1 (as it changes relatively fast, it works well.)
What worries me is that you say that Apple removed them. I thought that they were belonging to Xojo.
If Apple can simply remove parts of components, this would affect apps already sold to a client? Or would this not affect software already deployed?[/quote]

Sliders are “native” controls (at least in OSX), and therefore are displayed based on what OSX says…
This is “good” or “bad” depending on your point of view. It is good if you don’t want to rewrite you code to maintain the proper look/feel , and bad if you want “full” control. Be glad XOJO didn’t take the Java road, where NOTHING is native, and EVERYTHING looks like its from the 80’s